Question for those few who dislike the Orr Cyclone

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

tenor.gif

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I-State Logo. Love it. Orrnado logo leaves anyone outside of the state of Iowa wondering WTF is it?

I-State.......the only Power 5 school that is an I-State. And love the way the A in State is centered over the I......leaving the abbreviation for Iowa.......IA.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
It's not the Orr Tornado... It was made for football... It appeared for Criner on helmets. Orr preferred the "Angry Chicken Logo". Which is walking Cy.

I really don't hate the logo. It could be great throw back.

I never really said I hated the logo if you look back at the tweets we had. I just think it is stupid to associate the Tornado logo with Orr.

Also... I'm not old enough to really remember... Was this logo used on basketball jerseys?? I know we had Walking Cy on the Court, but was there any Tornado logo's to be found with basketball??

I just can't call it the Orr Tornado.

Also, the other point... the I State logo is the strongest logo we have had. People recognize it everywhere. I understand it was associated with 1 bad year of basketball, but the logo never got a chance. It's easy to understand who we are.

• Agree
Reactions: drlove and 85clone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Holy crap! Everything other than the I-State logo and the wordmarks needs to be trashed on that document. Bring back the old tornado logo and good ol' Walking Cy!!!

Agreed. The other logos are like a bad dream from “future logo night” in the MLB circa 1995. Those must have been designed by the same company that did all of the Horizon League and MVC schools logos.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I don't like that one either.

Then why not support the original twister logo?

Orrnado logo leaves anyone outside of the state of Iowa wondering WTF is it?

WTF is a Bruin? What does an elephant have to do with a Crimson Tide? Why are there marijuana leaf stickers all over Ohio State's helmets?

Don't worry 'bout it bro. :D

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
The I-State logo is incredible. Love when it is in stencil form too. It should be the MAIN mark for the University forever, going forward.

Hey, I love the Walking Cy logo, but it is super confusing to most NCAA fans outside the state of Iowa. Why the bird when you are Cyclones? Obviously, in the state of Iowa, everyone gets it. Miami rolls out that "U" more than anything too. Yes, they have their bird logo, but everyone mostly associates Miami with their "U." We should do the same with I-State.

Featuring Cy or whirly bird Cy (too busy) as the main logo is a huge mistake. The I-State logo is well-received nationwide. Living in KC, our conference brethren have stated numerous times that the I-State logo is the best logo ISU has ever had. When I travel, I like to have ISU gear on. I-State is always recognized and received well. I always get a "hey, Iowa State!" I just don't understand some of our fans disdain for it. It is a very traditional looking logo, and really ties in well with our conference. It looks awesome. Finally, we have a SOLID logo.

As for the secondary logos, Walking Cy is the best "mascot logo" and the Orr-nado is/should be the "nickname logo." Honestly, I wish the old '78 walking cy could just have the new I-State logo put on his chest and call it a day. Could the football team feature these from time to time? Sure.

The 2017 Tornado logo that came out was an absolute dud. It sucks. It needs to go away. Also, the hurricane cy-head logo needs to get out of town too. Any any McCarney era version logos need to say bye-bye too. They haven't aged well, and I see more and more of our fan base buying the Walking Cy, Orr-nado and I-State items more than those.

/rant.

Here's the thing. When someone asks that question, take the opportunity to tell them why. I love to talk about Iowa State and it's traditions any chance I get. Some of you act like it's a burden. Do you suppose Stanford fans are tired of being asked why a tree?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Also, the other point... the I State logo is the strongest logo we have had. People recognize it everywhere. I understand it was associated with 1 bad year of basketball, but the logo never got a chance. It's easy to understand who we are.

Once again; no one is proposing we ditch the I-STATE logo. We are discussing secondary logos. The current "walking" Cy and bugle logos suck.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
Bringing back old logos in sports happens all the time, especially when teams move to 'trendy' logos that don't age well. From a design perspective, I just don't see teams bringing back their logos from the 90's in 35 years because it just doesn't work the same way. It feels more like flipping through an old clipart book that came with your computer 25 years ago and wondering how anyone could have ever thought it was useable stuff. About half the NBA has gone back to classic versions of logos past and I'm willing to bet that it has nothing to do with how the fans from that era emotionally respond to the mark. Here is a good example with the Atlanta Hawks, starting with the classic look in the 70's, falling victim to the trendy style of the 90s, and now have recently brought back a tweaked version of the old logo because it still works. atl.jpg

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Here's the thing. When someone asks that question, take the opportunity to tell them why. I love to talk about Iowa State and it's traditions any chance I get. Some of you act like it's a burden. Do you suppose Stanford fans are tired of being asked why a tree?

Believe me, I explain why. Every time. Always get a positive response. Still doesn't change the fact that outsiders are confused by our cardinal-bird representation.

Thus, why the I-State logo has been very effective and recognizable.

• Agree
Reactions: wclarson

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Ok I'm now on this train. Nickname and Mascot graphics are terrible.

https://www.trademark.iastate.edu/marks/newathletic

To be fair, it is designed to have a strong, consistent branding "look" and accomplishes it well. All the various elements work with each other. It's not timeless though.

Stronger fetish on this board, uniform obsessions or logo obsessions? :rolleyes:

Please. Child's play compared to my Jack Trice obsession.

Yes, logos/uniforms are inherently silly by themselves, BUT can easily telegraph to a larger audience whether the organization is innovative, nimble, elite, or merely good enough.

If a company settles for "good enough" with a logo, what else do they settle with?

I just can't call it the Orr Tornado.

Call it the Campbell Cyclone then. It's completely refreshed by @amestoplease and ready to take on a new winning tradition. Give it the same new chance you gave the I-STATE logo.

I choose to attach my happy memories of being a child in Ames during the Orr era and having Cyclone stuff in my room with that logo. Thus, to me, its the Orr Cyclone.