Post-game thread - ISU vs. Colorado

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't care how bad Colorado is, it just felt good to watch this team win. And I bet it is a huge weight off of the players shoulders that they were able to get the win. It was fun to watch things work the way they are supposed to. Getting Craig the ball and then letting that open up some outside looks. It was fun getting off to a fast start for once. It was fun getting off to a good start in the 2nd half. Mostly, it was just fun to watch the players actually have some fun and remember that they can win. It was not as fun to watch people leave the game early. I, myself, have an iron-clad rule that I will never leave any game early. So I can't understand leaving early, but we had watched some ugly basketball in the past month or so. But I can't imagine leaving early last night when things were actually going so well. :)

One a side note, either McDermott or his players must be getting a lot of crap from someone. Greg was fairly testy in the call-in show on MOnday and last night he talked about how they had a lot of psychology sessions this week 'talking about how at some schools people don't care if you have a 6 game losing streak, but this isn't one of them.' I know I'll probably never win an arguement on this (or the other board which I don't subscribe to anymore, thank god), but it does go to show that 19 years probably do take what they read on these boards more seriously than they should considering most of us probably haven't played a minute of high school basketball. And I just wish that we would remember that more often.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Actually, I don't think either team is that good. But even if they are, you see it all the time. We should be commended for kicking CU's arse but using their scores from other games to puff out our chests is flawed.

That's very true. Enjoy the win. Comparing scores from other games in basketball is one of the most meaningless exercises out there.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't care how bad Colorado is, it just felt good to watch this team win. And I bet it is a huge weight off of the players shoulders that they were able to get the win. It was fun to watch things work the way they are supposed to. Getting Craig the ball and then letting that open up some outside looks. It was fun getting off to a fast start for once. It was fun getting off to a good start in the 2nd half. Mostly, it was just fun to watch the players actually have some fun and remember that they can win. It was not as fun to watch people leave the game early. I, myself, have an iron-clad rule that I will never leave any game early. So I can't understand leaving early, but we had watched some ugly basketball in the past month or so. But I can't imagine leaving early last night when things were actually going so well. :)

One a side note, either McDermott or his players must be getting a lot of crap from someone. Greg was fairly testy in the call-in show on MOnday and last night he talked about how they had a lot of psychology sessions this week 'talking about how at some schools people don't care if you have a 6 game losing streak, but this isn't one of them.' I know I'll probably never win an arguement on this (or the other board which I don't subscribe to anymore, thank god), but it does go to show that 19 years probably do take what they read on these boards more seriously than they should considering most of us probably haven't played a minute of high school basketball. And I just wish that we would remember that more often.

I played a couple of high school minutes. I even made a free-throw.
OK, I can't even pretend that my record is impressive. As an unathletic 120-lb. kid, I wasn't going to pull off a whole lot.

I think your point about these kids in the Internet age reading this and taking it more seriously than they should is well-written.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My thoughts:

For those still looking to be rid of McD, take a chill pill - we won the game last night. Sit back and enjoy being a Cyclone for a night, there will be plenty of other opportunities to continue your demanding of the firing of McD.

For those that are die-hard supporters of McD, quit antagonizing those that want to see him gone. First, this is one game in the line of many, second, it was Colorado that we destroyed last night. Even though we destroyed Colorado in a record-setting performance last night, McD has a lot more to prove before the seat in which he sits gets cooler. Sit back and enjoy being a Cyclone for a night, there will be plenty of times to start shouting the "I told you so's" after McD's hard work the last three years begin showing with results on the court.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I like Mac and hope he succeeds here. I'm also glad we won for the sole purpose of the players and coaches relief.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Actually, I don't think either team is that good. But even if they are, you see it all the time. We should be commended for kicking CU's arse but using their scores from other games to puff out our chests is flawed.

I dont think anyone was puffing chests. My comment was just to show that CU has had their ups and downs. Dont ever count them out of a contest.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I dont think anyone was puffing chests. My comment was just to show that CU has had their ups and downs. Dont ever count them out of a contest.

I have to disagree - there has been quite a bit of "chest-puffery" in the last 12 hours. Did you see the contract extension thread? Yeah, it turned into a legitimate thread when they began talking about the impact of recruiting, but the original intent was to throw it in the face of those that want to see McD gone - or why else did they wait until after an ISU win to post it?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have to disagree - there has been quite a bit of "chest-puffery" in the last 12 hours. Did you see the contract extension thread? Yeah, it turned into a legitimate thread when they began talking about the impact of recruiting, but the original intent was to throw it in the face of those that want to see McD gone - or why else did they wait until after an ISU win to post it?

Well Im not and I thought he was implying that I was. Im sensitive this morning. I need my coffee.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Teams like CU play good teams close because those good teams have other things on their minds. KU and OU didn't get up for CU. They showed up, won the game, next.

They also did not defend the Princeton offense nearly as well compared to the game plan that Mac and staff put together last night. Give credit where credit is due.

Reactions: Clone_12

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It was nice to get a win and see the guys actually having fun out there, feeding off one another.

Gotta consider the competition though - CU is just plain bad. Good to pound them.

That's our biggest margin of victory all season, right? Even against the ****-poor teams we played in November/December?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
How enjoyable was that? Watching us kick somebody's butt. Its been a long time coming, especially in conference. Our D was awesome..... so was Colorado's shooting. :jimlad:

That was the best execution we have had in a long time. We looked very well coached and "up" for this one.

Cyd1

Jan 21, 2009
Cyclone City
This pretty well sums up the game for me. We shot well, 47%, rebounded well (even the o-glass), and didn't seem to give up so many easy baskets on turnovers. Anytime you shoot well, it makes your whole game look better. Well done, young men. On another note, does anyone think we'd have a better chance of landing HB if we fired Coach Mac?
Are some of you on bad pharmacueticals? WOW! Do you want a coach that really coaches (all aspects of the college game), or someone like Wayne Morgan? Do you not remember how bad our academics were? Please join reality sometime!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Here is an interesting quote from the Omaha Weird Herald -

"Iowa State had lost its past six by a total of 91 points, a stretch that included a 55-49 defeat at Colorado on Jan. 27. It went into Wednesday night trying to avoid its longest losing stretch in conference play since 1987-88."

Hmm, Johnny Orr had a longer losing streak? How can that be? :twitcy:

Good job outta the team, lets hope they can build on it and pull of another win somewhere.

If I recall correctly, the 87-88 team was Orr's first team to be rated in the regular season. They started out great and I think got up to almost cracking the top 10 (11 or 12 maybe).

I graduated in December and left ISU to start work in late January and they fell to pieces after my departure...what can I say.

Come to think of it...VEISHEA also fell to pieces in the spring of 88 after I left the campus...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron