Post-game thread - ISU vs. Colorado

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Excellent win tonight. People need to shut up about McD, just let him coach.
Somethings that I noticed from tonight's game:
Hamilton: Cant play one on one and score down low. Good defense though.
Brackins: Way too good. I would love to see him play against Tyler Hansbrough.
Boozer: Definitely had great hustle points. He can be a great player if he can make little better decisions (when to force the shots, when not to).
Buckley: Still got ways to go. Can be great slasher.
Diante: Needs to attack the basket.
Lucca: Glad to see him slightly getting over his slump. I hope he continues to attack the basket.
Alex: He's got some sweet moves down low. I wish he was little thicker.
Haluska: Good defense, but not much from offensive side.

Overall, great learning experiences for young guys. I hope they got some confidence back. It was really nice to see them smile. I am sure McD loved their performance as much as we all did. It was the WIN that they needed.

Let's support our beloved Cyclones. This might not be our year, but they are coming along. GO CYCLONES!

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Brackins: Way too good. I would love to see him play against Tyler Hansbrough.
Boozer: Definitely had great hustle points. He can be a great player if he can make little better decisions (when to force the shots, when not to).
Buckley: Still got ways to go. Can be great slasher.
Diante: Needs to attack the basket.
Lucca: Glad to see him slightly getting over his slump. I hope he continues to attack the basket.
Alex: He's got some sweet moves down low. I wish he was little thicker.
Haluska: Good defense, but not much from offensive side.

Overall, great learning experiences for young guys. I hope they got some confidence back. It was really nice to see them smile. I am sure McD loved their performance as much as we all did. It was the WIN that they needed.

Let's support our beloved Cyclones. This might not be our year, but they are coming along. GO CYCLONES!

Thank You...after many posts on this thread we are actually talking about the game/players!

The Clones really played outstanding defense in the first half. Virtually everyone that played in the first half completely dominated their matchup on D. Colorado's top scorer went against BP and SH and had 0 at half time. Lucca was involved in the only 2 defensive breakdowns in the first half but I thought he was moving the best he has all year.

15 assists on 27 baskets...excellent. We still need to identify a reliable second and third scorer but a lot of people pitched in tonight.

Based on what I saw, I would be interesting to have Boozer start and Lucca come of the bench. What does anyone else think?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Based on what I saw, I would be interesting to have Boozer start and Lucca come of the bench. What does anyone else think?

I don't think I mess with it. Maybe more minutes for Boozer, but he's the perfect spark off the bench that we need a lot.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

He's a very raw freshman, and will get better. I like this kid.

Now that he's put on the weight, though, he might want to lay off the PB&J's to fine tune his body.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If calling a spade a spade is being juvenile, then set me up with some play-doh. I'd rather be a happy juvenile then a depressed Mr. Maturity.............:biggrin:

Who is depressed? I'm thrilled with the win. It was the most fun I've had in Hilton for a while and the crowd, although small, was really into it and fun. It's been a long time since we've totally dominated anybody and I had parquet seats. I got to listen to the postgame show because my wife doesn't want to listen to it when we lose. Made it home in time for Lost. I would say the evening was a resounding success.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Who is depressed? I'm thrilled with the win. It was the most fun I've had in Hilton for a while and the crowd, although small, was really into it and fun. It's been a long time since we've totally dominated anybody and I had parquet seats. I got to listen to the postgame show because my wife doesn't want to listen to it when we lose. Made it home in time for Lost. I would say the evening was a resounding success.

That was an absolutely great time. We had a game that was just plain fun, and it put some air back in people's sails. It was a fun time that made things seem better, visible evidence of the improvements these guys are making. Fun time. Did I mention that it was fun yet?

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am neither a Pollyanna nor a Chicken Little, and I don't want to read too much into us pounding an awful Colorado team, but I saw a lot of things I liked last night.

Brackins wanted the ball and knew he could have his way with whomever was trying to guard him. I thought he forced a couple shots in the second half, but I'm not going to get on him for that.

Buckley came back from making a mistake (getting stripped at halfcourt), and went back and stripped the ball, got it back, ran the length of the floor and finished with a basket. Great sequence.

The 3's came in much better "flow" than they have in some games. If we shoot 9 for 20 from 3 and play defense like we are capable, we can win some more games this year.

Colorado looked lost on offense, not sure how much to attribute to our defense and how much goes to them sucking out loud.

Anxious to see Gilstrap and Colvin, and have 4 contributors who are all in their 3rd year in the program. Could we possibly see some stability starting to take shape?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Here is an interesting quote from the Omaha Weird Herald -

"Iowa State had lost its past six by a total of 91 points, a stretch that included a 55-49 defeat at Colorado on Jan. 27. It went into Wednesday night trying to avoid its longest losing stretch in conference play since 1987-88."

Hmm, Johnny Orr had a longer losing streak? How can that be? :twitcy:

Good job outta the team, lets hope they can build on it and pull of another win somewhere.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I am neither a Pollyanna nor a Chicken Little, and I don't want to read too much into us pounding an awful Colorado team, but I saw a lot of things I liked last night.

Brackins wanted the ball and knew he could have his way with whomever was trying to guard him. I thought he forced a couple shots in the second half, but I'm not going to get on him for that.

Buckley came back from making a mistake (getting stripped at halfcourt), and went back and stripped the ball, got it back, ran the length of the floor and finished with a basket. Great sequence.

The 3's came in much better "flow" than they have in some games. If we shoot 9 for 20 from 3 and play defense like we are capable, we can win some more games this year.

Colorado looked lost on offense, not sure how much to attribute to our defense and how much goes to them sucking out loud.

Anxious to see Gilstrap and Colvin, and have 4 contributors who are all in their 3rd year in the program. Could we possibly see some stability starting to take shape?

Colorado has had its struggles this year much like we have, but they have also played some good teams close. Losing by only 5 in Norman and in Lawrence is huge. I wont say they suck, because like us, it depends on the night. The better team won tonight plain and simple and our guys deserve a ton of credit for their preparation. They walked in and from minute one acted like they were winnners and nothing would get in their way. Im sure CU didnt expect that much of an explosion.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Teams like CU play good teams close because those good teams have other things on their minds. KU and OU didn't get up for CU. They showed up, won the game, next.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Pretty simple really...we shot well tonight, and Colorado didn't...I realize defense has a lot to do with this, but we played pretty tough D at Colorado, we just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...and we've missed a lot of open shots lately.
Is Colorado a good team?...definately not...but in their last 3 games they've took 5-4 Nebraska to the wire in Boulder, took 8-1 Kansas to the wire in Lawrence, and took 10-0 Oklahoma to the wire in Norman...it's a win-quit your whining. Nobody on here is happy with 2-7 in conference, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy wins when they come.

This pretty well sums up the game for me. We shot well, 47%, rebounded well (even the o-glass), and didn't seem to give up so many easy baskets on turnovers. Anytime you shoot well, it makes your whole game look better. Well done, young men. On another note, does anyone think we'd have a better chance of landing HB if we fired Coach Mac?

Reactions: Wing48

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
This pretty well sums up the game for me. We shot well, 47%, rebounded well (even the o-glass), and didn't seem to give up so many easy baskets on turnovers. Anytime you shoot well, it makes your whole game look better. Well done, young men. On another note, does anyone think we'd have a better chance of landing HB if we fired Coach Mac?[/quote]

Is that a serious question?

If so, the answer is a giant NO.

The relationship started with McD. His son is on his HS team. McD has put more effort into the Barnes recruiting process than anyone probably realizes except for HB himself. So how would that lead you to even ask the question you've asked? We have zero shot at HB if McD is gone. ZERO.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Teams like CU play good teams close because those good teams have other things on their minds. KU and OU didn't get up for CU. They showed up, won the game, next.

Doesnt sound like OU and KU are all that great if they cant put away a chump team like CO, right?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Actually, I don't think either team is that good. But even if they are, you see it all the time. We should be commended for kicking CU's arse but using their scores from other games to puff out our chests is flawed.