*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
You got me

Was Iowa State bad to you? Where are you from originally?

Iowa. I am a proud ISU alum. Season football ticket holder since 2013. Have been to every bowl game since 2011 (minus fiesta) and every Big 12 tournament since 2013. Havent been able to attend many games in Hilton the last few years but having moved back to DSM recently i am hoping to attend more when restrictions lift.

Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Iowa. I am a proud ISU alum. Season football ticket holder since 2013. Have been to every bowl game since 2011 (minus fiesta) and every Big 12 tournament. since 2013. Havent been able to attend many games in Hilton the last few years but having moved back to DSM recently i am hoping to attend more when restrictions lift.

Good for you. I did my time in Iowa. I was able to escape a few years back.

but if you’re going to live in Iowa, I would say the Des Moines area would definitely be the place to be.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Who has claimed they want him back next season?

Don’t you know that there is a secret cabal of prohmians that work for the athletic department and our goal is get everyone excited about him being the head basketball coach at Iowa State for the next 7-12 years.

actually, it’s if you’re not negative enough and give any credit to anything that has happened in last 6 years, you are defending him and want him to stay.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Nick Weiller-Babb, but same to Scott was a transfer.

Custer, although he excelled elsewhere (and who knows how he would have performed in the Big 12). As others have pointed out, Nader.

Christopherson also only played 4 minutes per game his freshman year at Marquette, so I’m not sure how you really can take much from that.

But isn't this the point? The current freshmen haven't played enough to know, just like Christopherson.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Custer, although he excelled elsewhere (and who knows how he would have performed in the Big 12). As others have pointed out, Nader.

But isn't this the point? The current freshmen haven't played enough to know, just like Christopherson.
Jayden Walker is playing 19 mpg and Dubar has seen 14 mpg. I’d say that’s true though for Blackwell and Foster.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Again, most people agree that personal attacks directed towards them on their social media platforms is not okay. Saying someone isn’t good or shouldn’t be playing at Iowa State, etc. isn’t that big of a deal. If they can’t handle it then move on.

The whole they are kids thing is annoying. You get a job right out of high school you are expected to figure it out otherwise they will fire you. Doesn’t matter that you are a “kid”.

Agree .....They're not kids. They are adults.

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
I don't even know when they are playing anymore. I used to look at the schedule every morning. It was mid-day yesterday before I thought to look at the schedule.

My wife and I used to scream at the TV to where our dog would start pacing the floor. I swear, I pushed the limits on my blood pressure medicine in more games that I would like to admit.

We used to slap a high five with every made 3. We watch the games almost silently now. The rare high fives are now just habit and lack energy.

This team is boring to watch. I've done other things during three games this year besides watch. We're totally apathetic to them. Why even care when the games are boring. Besides being a Cyclone, there is no reason to watch them at all.

It's been just a slow but steady decline.
Yeah I live in rural MS didn't have cable for a while, used to plan my big days to go to a local sports bar and eat and watch the clones, knew when all the games were etc. Have cable now, sat down yesterday was flipping thru the channels and saw we were playing OU so i watched the second half, but I never even look at the schedule to see who they are playing now, it is sad.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, that's kinda my point. He's not great at creating his shot, but he's one of the only guys on our roster who can kinda do it.

I actually wonder if he could do more with more space to operate and in rhythm from ball movement etc.

ISU isn't typically exactly that difficult to guard.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty

None of those are 4 year players here though. All either transfered to or from here. Basically naz is the only example of someone staying here 4 years and actually becoming a contributer.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Not arguing otherwise. I've seen glimpses from Dubar of energy, effort, and rebounding. From Blackwell, athleticism. Walker an all-around, although unpolished game. Saying they suck is way premature.

I think it’s impossible to know if the freshmen can play or not, between Covid and steve Prohm destroying their basketball careers, it’s just hard to know.

the new staff will make those decisions. Doesn’t matter what anybody here thinks.

I see very few posts disparaging the freshmen or the players, are there a few...sure. That’s life as a d1 athlete, but it’s pretty tame on here when it comes to players. And that’s good.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
If ISU is worried by the buyout cost, I have the solution. Demote him down to an assistant coach and hire someone to get the program turned around. He might be the highest paid assistant in college basketball, but it would save money.:jimlad:

Reactions: Cyismymonkey

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Again, most people agree that personal attacks directed towards them on their social media platforms is not okay. Saying someone isn’t good or shouldn’t be playing at Iowa State, etc. isn’t that big of a deal. If they can’t handle it then move on.

The whole they are kids thing is annoying. You get a job right out of high school you are expected to figure it out otherwise they will fire you. Doesn’t matter that you are a “kid”.

I don't understand that position. The standard should be that you shouldn't say anything you wouldn't say to a person's face. Being anonymous on this board does not make saying it any better than on social media or passing them on the street. If your standard is that it's ok to be a **** to players or coaches because it is on CF you should think that through some.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't understand that position. The standard should be that you shouldn't say anything you wouldn't say to a person's face. Being anonymous on this board does not make saying it any better than on social media or passing them on the street. If your standard is that it's ok to be a **** to players or coaches because it is on CF you should think that through some.

Also the idea is missed that someone working out of high school's job performance isn't picked apart by message boards or social media.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Also the idea is missed that someone working out of high school's job performance isn't picked apart by message boards or social media.

I'm not saying it is necessarily right on a message board, either, but claiming on a message board that some of our players aren't very good, and thus why we stink, along with our coaches stinking isn't that bad. It's not like we are yammering for someone to take out their knees or hurt their family, lol. Goodness people.

Also, I highly doubt anyone was paying good money to see you make a sandwich at Subway. Little bit of a reach with that one there, ya think?

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
So you and the other guy (?) are saying that they should be paid?

is that what you’re saying by calling them adults? They need to be compensated for their work and likeness?

What a weird turn that argument of yours took. You are a funny one Stevens, I'll tell ya. That isn't, nor ever has been what is being discussed in here.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
What a weird turn that argument of yours took. You are a funny one Stevens, I'll tell ya. That isn't, nor ever has been what is being discussed in here.

It’s not a weird turn. They don’t have the opportunity to get jobs because all their time is spent pursuing their sport.

so if they’re adults, and should be treated as such, then why wouldn’t they deserve compensation like any adult would for doing a job?

edit: Or are you boys really saying you want to pretend they are adults so you can rationalize bashing them for not meeting your standards?