Need to know

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
The parking cops in Ames (on campus, at least) are legendary. The amount of money I "contributed" from parking tickets during my years is almost sickening. Totally justified, I was parking illegally, but I couldn't park for more than 5 minutes without a piece of paper ending up on my windshield. Those guys are good.

Capello

Sep 21, 2010
What i think you missed James and i did not think we were illegally parked especially i did not. Oh well it was a rental, just threw iit away

Reactions: CYinPA

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It's always been that way. I probably got about 80 tickets in my time there. Back then it was only 10 bucks, but it adds up. You've got to be really careful where you park or just be willing to get the ticket, because they WILL find you and ticket you if you're parked illegally.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
My biggest complaint wasnt even the level of enforcement.. it was the rules on the parking lots themselves. Lots need to start opening up to regular parking around 3, not 5, as those lots sit empty as most classes are over. Save some spots up front, for those with a parking pass that need them (you could make the front row red until 3, and then yellow until 5) , but there is no reason you should get a ticket for having your car in an empty parking lot.

Almost all of my tickets were in the parking lot west of howe, next to where the marching band field used to be. The lot would have tons of empty spots, yet sometimes DPS would decide itd be a great idea to tag all the marching band kids that'd parked there.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
My roommate was towed from a legal spot, rebuilt Clyde Williams/State Gym Area that they hadn't painted yet to prevent parking along a turn aisle. Half a dozen cars they wrongly towed were broke into at the impound lot and he lost a $300 stereo.
Six months of letter writing later, he got the ticket and towing fee refunded. Stereo gone forever.

The DPS Parking Division's sole purpose is to make money, and they're really good at it.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Is it my imagination or are the campus police really gung ho about giving out parking tickets. James got several and i got one when we could not park on the grass and i thought i was legally parked but got a ticket when they told us they would be lenient because of the parking issues. Just wondering??

Vital revenue stream to keep a bloated operation at full bloat. ISU DPS has "little man's syndrome." They want to be big boy police but they're not.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
What i think you missed James and i did not think we were illegally parked especially i did not. Oh well it was a rental, just threw iit away
Maybe somebody on the football staff could plead his case if he has a legimate beef. In the future I would be careful.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My girlfriend is living in UV this year and a truck was parked in a spot and didn't move for all of August and half of September, during this time it got two tickets...it also had a faded one on there from January and a good friend that lives a building over told me it hadn't moved that entire time...they are very inconsistent across campus.

Last year I lived in Eaton and they would ticket there about once a day, so when I got off work and didn't feel like walking back from towers (where I was supposed to park) I would park there and risk it. Got caught a few times not too bad. However my favorite was after the blizzard that they even cancelled class for it took them close to a week to plow the lots...meanwhile several DPS trucks got stuck in the foot and a half of snow in the lot and had to be towed...meanwhile the rest of us had to wait five or six days for them to come through with a snow plow once.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Well not every person that parks illegally gets a ticket though do they?

yes, some of them get two!

ISU DPS is brutal - I remember pondering if I could park my car behind Marston, get up to the computer lab to grab something and make it down before my car was ticketed.

the answer is no, you can not.

HerkyKiller

Aug 14, 2010
Ames
I had my car towed once from campus, but that was because I had to drive to work in the morning and I didnt want to have to walk to my car in -30 degree weather.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
ya the parking people are huge losers that get off by showing some sort of power over you. Had to pay about 400 just so i could get my diploma.
I also have gotten a ticket in my driveway bc i was a couple inches over the sidewalk as both me and my roommates cars were in the driveway.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
ya the parking people are huge losers that get off by showing some sort of power over you. Had to pay about 400 just so i could get my diploma.
I also have gotten a ticket in my driveway bc i was a couple inches over the sidewalk as both me and my roommates cars were in the driveway.
Someone has a problem with authority. I'm thinking daddy issues.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Someone has a problem with authority. I'm thinking daddy issues.

not really, do i have a problem with people that try and push there authority on people bc they have a badge? Yes. Respect is earned not given, and as most cops just are flunkies that couldn't handle big people school, that doesn't earn you much respect.
Parking cop in Ames, IA. Congrats on your life.

and my daddy could beat up your daddy.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Does the city still have the guy that will come to your door for an unpaid ticket? I got to know him pretty well.

They did when I was there, and I graduated in 2005. I worked on Main Street, which is all meter parking so I spoke with that guy a lot.

Sometimes it was worth the ticket to sit there and watch the ticket guy go up to my car to put the ticket under my wiper because I'd just wait and hit my car alarm button on my keychain to see him freak out. Also embarassed a lot of guys putting flyers on my window doing that.