Need to know

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Maybe ISU should take some of those millions in parking fines, that show obvious demand for more parking, and put up some more parking decks around campus.

No-can-dooskis. The parking division has to pay to buy new trucks and leave them running 24/7 somehow.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
One of my biggest problems with them and the university as a whole is the lack of 30minute loading zone spots...there are none and usually no where good to park quick even with your blinkers on. My sister went to UNI and everytime we would go in there was a circle turnaround area that everyone parked in for quick trips...didn't even have to turn your blinkers on and never got a ticket.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I hated those stupid parking nazis. My wife now (gf in college) try to get me to apply for a job with DPS. I told her "no f'ing way".

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
One of my biggest problems with them and the university as a whole is the lack of 30minute loading zone spots...there are none and usually no where good to park quick even with your blinkers on. My sister went to UNI and everytime we would go in there was a circle turnaround area that everyone parked in for quick trips...didn't even have to turn your blinkers on and never got a ticket.

Absolutely, this would go a long way to eliminating a lot of tickets. Though there's the risk some would abuse them, park in them and hope that they can stretch that 30 to 50 or so for a class..

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Absolutely, this would go a long way to eliminating a lot of tickets. Though there's the risk some would abuse them, park in them and hope that they can stretch that 30 to 50 or so for a class..

I have done this as well but it's almost ridiculous how few parking spots there are on campus for quick things like that. There is nowhere all that easy to sit and wait for anybody without getting a ticket.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I thought about parking tickets in a completely different way. Let me explain:
I parked in the Rec lot, which charged $.75/hour, and if you got caught without paying it was a $7.50 ticket. (please note: these were the costs when I was there, I'm sure they have inflated now.)
I never paid the $.75 unless I saw DPS there walking around writing tix. I calculated my entire total of parking tickets for the year, which was $172.50. I also estimated my entire time parking in that lot for the year, and if I had paid the 75 cents/hour to park every hour I was there, it would have cost ~$384.00.
So, basically, I paid $172.50 to park in that lot. So, you take $384 - $172.50 = $211.50.
All that being said, I actually saved myself $211.50 by not paying the hourly rate. If you are smart about it, you can actually save yourself by taking the risk and getting a parking ticket.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, that used to be the case for the east campus parking deck by Gerdin too. I did that same math and didnt pay unless i saw dps in the lot. They raised the rates though sometime in the last couple years i heard.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
They were called the "Parking Nazis" when I was there 20 years ago. One time when I was assigned to park at the stadium lots during my freshman year, the rows were too packed. The one I ended up in had our front wheels on the grass. Someone spent a lot of time writing up tickets for the whole row. I appealed and won, hope everyone else in the row did too.

They have the students by the balls, but I don't know how much they can do to visitors. IIRC, visitors could send the ticket back and plead ignorance for a limited number of occurrences without consequences.

Capello

Sep 21, 2010
Boy, the Capello's opened up a big can of worms,didn't they.

Boy didn't i. I'm not sayinng james does not push the enveope but once he was at a under 21 club somewhere on campus and there were about ten m/c parked together and they only towed him, and the ticket i got was ridiculous but it was a rental and i threw it away. God can't believe i'm a judge!!

Tom Capello

rob4cy

Jan 19, 2009
nevada, ia
I once got 2 parking tickets within about 20 minutes, which sucked in its own right, but what hurt more was the fact that i was buying a $50 parking permit at the time...

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Boy didn't i. I'm not sayinng james does not push the enveope but once he was at a under 21 club somewhere on campus and there were about ten m/c parked together and they only towed him, and the ticket i got was ridiculous but it was a rental and i threw it away. God can't believe i'm a judge!!

Tom Capello
Any kid going to ISU is going to get a)towed once b) parking tickets c)stuck in an elevator. Just expect it.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
Maybe ISU should take some of those millions in parking fines, that show obvious demand for more parking, and put up some more parking decks around campus.

they are thinking about putting one up in lot 60 (the lot off of hayward) along with that new cyride transit thing. you realize there is plenty of parking out at the stadium with a bus that drops you off right in the middle of campus.

oh and btw the parking "nazi's" pay for the orange route so you have a place to park. so we actually have tried to fix the problem. and you can blame the university officials for there not being enough parking. they've removed a few lots in the past couple of years for building construction. the new addition to state gym took away 300-400 stalls on the east of martin

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
they are thinking about putting one up in lot 60 (the lot off of hayward) along with that new cyride transit thing. you realize there is plenty of parking out at the stadium with a bus that drops you off right in the middle of campus.

oh and btw the parking "nazi's" pay for the orange route so you have a place to park. so we actually have tried to fix the problem. and you can blame the university officials for there not being enough parking. they've removed a few lots in the past couple of years for building construction. the new addition to state gym took away 300-400 stalls on the east of martin
I know when I went back to school in 2006 the commuter lot and free bus on the orange route was really nice to have. But, this is only a new addition and a lot of the stories told here are from days past. Don't get your undies in a bunch.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Read post #s 56 and 57 and then multiply that by 25,000 students. It would be chaotic and dangerous around campus if they didn't enforce the rules. They don't want a lot of cars near campus.

BTW, it has been nearly 30 years since I was there and they were the same way back then. I got plenty of tickets my freshman year. Eventually I learned that it was a game of cat and mouse with the DPS and they were a very persistent cat and I was a mouse that couldn't afford to lose.

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
Ames and Iowa City are the only places in the state where they will arrest you for an unpaid parking ticket. Trust me, I know.
They have an unhealthy love for their mediocre job.

If my memory serves me correct, I heard a story about this and after the cops took you away, people starting throwing pot pies on your walls!

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
I know when I went back to school in 2006 the commuter lot and free bus on the orange route was really nice to have. But, this is only a new addition and a lot of the stories told here are from days past. Don't get your undies in a bunch.

oh trust me they arent. i was just stating the facts

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
If my memory serves me correct, I heard a story about this and after the cops took you away, people starting throwing pot pies on your walls!
It was before the cops came because I specifically remember the one dude saying as they hauled me away, "Man, you're never going to get laid with pot pie on your wall."