Need to know

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Freshman year, my son lived in the Maple/Willow/Larch complex with no parking pass for that lot. He parked there during an open parking time (T-giving break, I think), blizzard hit and on Monday, when digging his car out, the parking cop had brushed away the snow to place the ticket on his windsheild.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I've been told that the entire DPS is funded entirely by parking ticket revenue - including the police officers. It is a necessary evil, but if it makes it so the university can put more money towards education and less towards non-education-related expenses, I don't see a problem.

My one "beef" with the parking ticket "officers" is that they drive 4 wheel drive trucks that never top 10 mph to drive from parking lot to parking lot. Give them a golf cart or a JD gator or something - heck, even a bicycle. There's no reason to pay for a brand new truck and all of the fuel it requires just to go 10 mph. Some of the gator-type vehicles even have AC and heating if that's what they're worried about.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
They did when I was there, and I graduated in 2005. I worked on Main Street, which is all meter parking so I spoke with that guy a lot.

Sometimes it was worth the ticket to sit there and watch the ticket guy go up to my car to put the ticket under my wiper because I'd just wait and hit my car alarm button on my keychain to see him freak out. Also embarassed a lot of guys putting flyers on my window doing that.

super nice guy, feel bad about the things we used to do to him and say to him.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Someone has a problem with authority. I'm thinking daddy issues.

You were DPS werent you? I get it now.
I think my problem is just how over-zealous the parking officers are.
Everyone has a story about the ridiculous number of tickets they were given.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
You were DPS werent you? I get it now.
I think my problem is just how over-zealous the parking officers are.
Everyone has a story about the ridiculous number of tickets they were given.
City is no better. I parked in our driveway once and my roommate wasn't pulled up far enough to get my backend off the sidewalk. Left it running and went inside, yelled for him to move his car up, came back out and there the dude was writing me a ticket while parked on Lincoln Way almost causing accidents.
I told him I just walked in and out and was about to move it.
"Sorry, I already entered it in."
So, as he drove away I crumpled it up and threw it in the back of his truck. A couple years later, I was arrested for non-payment of that ticket.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
They need money and they will nickle and dime you for everything you have.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
I once saw a delivery car for some restaurant pull up in front of a building, the guy ran the order in, and a minute later when he was walking out a DPS truck pulled up and was writing him a ticket. I've been lucky not to get ticketed so far despite my occasional illegal parking. I got a warning (for parking where I was supposed too....)my first week at ISU. Haven't cared for DPS since then...

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
I was an out-of-state student at ISU, and got a handful of parking tickets. But my car was registered in my stepfather's name. Every time "he" got a ticket, he'd call the Parking Enforcement office, and swear on his life neither he nor his car had ever been in Ames, Iowa. Worked every time, strangely enough.
(Probably helped that the SOB was a Mizzou fan, and figured he was sticking it to ISU, but it saved me some beer money)

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
They were a pain in the neck about parking way back when I was in school.

ZebraCakes

Oct 25, 2010
Between the Ames 5-0 and the campus cops, you would be lucky to get out of Ames without some sort of citation-- I'm surprised to hear from you they were 'lenient'.

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France
I'm a pro at dodging DPS. I would park behind the library in spots I'm not supposed to be parked at all the time, usually for 5-15 minutes while I ran in and got books or whatever. Also was really good about parking behind Pearson while I ran up to Marston, usually after 5 though. Never once got a ticket.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I'm a pro at dodging DPS. I would park behind the library in spots I'm not supposed to be parked at all the time, usually for 5-15 minutes while I ran in and got books or whatever. Also was really good about parking behind Pearson while I ran up to Marston, usually after 5 though. Never once got a ticket.

Behind the Library was key, as were the couple pay spots next to the building where they did all the Econ classes.
between science 1 and science 2 there were a couple spots as well.
Favorite move was to tell the person working the gate that you were delivering something for some professor in some random building. Let you right in anytime.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I have had 2 tickets in one day before. Once I parked in a faculty lot for 5 minutes to go turn in an assignment, came out and got a $25 fine I believe. Later that night, I parked at a meter to go into a meeting. I noted how much time I put in the meter and went in. My meeting went a little late and I went back to my truck with 2 minutes beyond how much time I put in, I had a ticket! I thought to myself, they probably saw the time was almost running out so they waited. I couldn't believe it.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I have had 2 tickets in one day before. Once I parked in a faculty lot for 5 minutes to go turn in an assignment, came out and got a $25 fine I believe. Later that night, I parked at a meter to go into a meeting. I noted how much time I put in the meter and went in. My meeting went a little late and I went back to my truck with 2 minutes beyond how much time I put in, I had a ticket! I thought to myself, they probably saw the time was almost running out so they waited. I couldn't believe it.

it's not like they have anything better to do than sit there and wait for the meter to run out.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
City is no better. I parked in our driveway once and my roommate wasn't pulled up far enough to get my backend off the sidewalk. Left it running and went inside, yelled for him to move his car up, came back out and there the dude was writing me a ticket while parked on Lincoln Way almost causing accidents.
I told him I just walked in and out and was about to move it.
"Sorry, I already entered it in."
So, as he drove away I crumpled it up and threw it in the back of his truck. A couple years later, I was arrested for non-payment of that ticket.

And because you were running down Welch ave. naked.

Help Support Us

Become a patron