Myron Medcalf all but certain Fred is going to the NBA

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yes it does. It's not the biggest factor, but it's there (and not just RW, others). Almost all decent professional jobs in this country have a salary that has a lot of factors that goes into it - one of them being what other people in a similar situation as yours makes at a variety of different companies. How the company chooses to interpret that differs. Some offer right on the average while others offer above the average.

Your past accomplishments and expertise definitely play a role into it, especially ones in the last handful of years. If you don't think this, then you don't have enough experience in the professional world in how salaries are actually figured out. I speak from experience on this. Thinking that prior success, even for coaching sports, has no influence on salary is extremely ignorant and naive IMO. Obviously there's outliers, but on average it follows this trend for many types of jobs.

The sample size may be low, but you better bet your *** that someone especially who is trying to save just a little bit of money is thinking "Well ____ and ____ have been to the Elite Eight five times each and you haven't once, so we're going to offer you less." It's common in the professional world and I have first hand experience with helping deciding these things just to save maybe $15K/year.

It's not the only factor that goes into figuring out salaries - there's many - but it is one factor of the handful. I speak from experience and I have no doubts that it's one of the factors for coaching too. The trend setters are the ones who win championships and the schools will just offer them much more. Hopefully someday we can say Hoiberg is a trend setter and it would be awesome if that was at the end of this season. I think he will get a raise this year, but not to the $3 million mark yet.
I have little doubt there are handfuls of people that make mistakes in the professional world, especially at the lower levels. For example, people like you comparing your 9-to5 to elite head coaches.

No one is paying as a reward for what they have done. You are falling victim of cause vs correlation. At that level salaries are about demand. People with accomplishments are paid more because of the increase in demand that comes with the belief that those accomplishments reduce the uncertainty of future performance. Having more past accomplishments are neither a requisite nor sufficient in determine one's market value in regards to another. In the case of coaches, and athletes more so, demand and pay are based on what that person is to believed to be able to do, not what they have done.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Football money is one of the biggest funds sources for ISU athletics, but lets be honest, its basketball that keeps most of our fans involved in ISU athletics. Jamie Pollard noted this when he said upon his hire that basketball must be the marquee sport for the university. Hoiberg will be paid and paid well.

Beyond that..its all Hoiberg's decision. Unlike football a good coach can build a true power at just about any high-major school. Its early, but he could become as big a name as any other coach in basketball with some more years and some breakthroughs on top talent (RV are you listening?).

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

Spam

May 21, 2008
Fred is making 2 million a year, by the way. Not as is being mentioned here 1.6 or 1.8m. That old contract was reworked after last year. If the second half of this season goes as well as the first, I am sure another raise will be given.

We'll continue to offer him a salary that is competitive in the Big 12. But sooner or later an NBA team will come and offer him 5 million + a year. And we have no idea how he may respond to that.

We can speculate that he has enough money, and he will build a legacy in Ames, that he loves Ames, that his family loves Ames, that he is too loyal to Ames, that he ought to be grateful to us because we gave him a chance to coach even though he had no coaching experience.

We can speculate that Fred wants bigger challenges than coaching at the college level, that money is never enough, and that he would want to even further solidify the financial security of his grand children.

But ultimately none of has any idea what Fred is thinking (just like none of us have any idea what Rashad Vaughn is thinking).

Last edited:

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Fred is making 2 million a year, by the way. Not as is being mentioned here 1.6 or 1.8m. That old contract was reworked after last year. If the second half of this season goes as well as the first, I am sure another raise will be given.

Yes.

Also, Fred has more integrity than to dump ISU while building a dynasty here. Friends, fans, family, success, and stability here is much more rewarding than "handling" NBA types. Floyd is a classic example of what happens when you exchange success in the college ranks for a few more shekels.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
A lot of people on this board seem to know what Fred is thinking and what Vaughn is thinking. I put myself in the category that doesn't know what they are thinking.

Muzzy

Jan 24, 2009
Iowa
I'm just happy we have a coach who is sought after. People just need to calm down and appreciate the ride. These periods of success are not guaranteed, soak it in. We have a problem of having a desirable coach. Think how many programs would like to be in our position. From the great movie Kingpin "Were on a gravey train with biscuit wheels!"

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
A lot of people on this board seem to know what Fred is thinking and what Vaughn is thinking. I put myself in the category that doesn't know what they are thinking.

I would also put Cydkar in the category of people who don't know what they are thinking.

:pwink:

but the statement is accurate. We can spitball 100 reasons Fred would stay and 100 he would leave, but the worst part of it is that while once he leaves, talk of him staying stops, but staying just makes the leaving talk continue on.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Nba doesn't make sense.......he has isu back in the national spotlight, has recruiting up and going......nba is a meat grinder and he will be thrown away in 5 years. Enjoy your life time contract in Ames, raise your kids and spend time with your family.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I am thinking that Rashad is thinking that Fred is thinking he wants to go to the NBA

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I know for a fact they have a "relationship." Myron spoke with Fred a lot during his Wolves time.

The first rule in contract leverage is that you are always "interested" and "willing to listen." Right now it seems like he doesn't need any more leverage, but two years ago the same could've been said about CPR.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
No source; can't even remember how long ago it was, but didn't Fred say something along the lines of: yeah, he would consider coaching at the next level, but not until he felt as though he had "achieved" something at Iowa State?

If he can get us a big 12 title or two and a final four appearance, I'd think NBA would be the next logical step. I doubt he'd wanna jump before that, tho.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Nba doesn't make sense.......he has isu back in the national spotlight, has recruiting up and going......nba is a meat grinder and he will be thrown away in 5 years. Enjoy your life time contract in Ames, raise your kids and spend time with your family.

I don't think Fred is leaving any time soon, but the NBA absolutely makes sense for any top flight college coach who wants to challenge himself at the highest level. Every great college coach has flirted with the idea at one time or another. The NBA might actually be less of a "meatgrinder" than college, longer season yes, but you don't have to spend time writing love letters to high school kids and you get to just focus on coaching without any of the recruiting and boosters ******** that comes with a college job.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If Fred ever leaves for the NBA it won't be to coach. He's knows the NBA landscape too well to get caught up in the NBA coach hamster wheel, coaches in the league are a dime a dozen and get fired at the drop of a hat. Look around the NBA, what big time college head coaches that made the jump are still around? Coach K was a lock to go LA, Billy Dononvan was all but hired in Orlando but made the wiser choice, Calapari, Pitino, the list goes on. People try look at it the same as players, when they reach a certain point in the their college career, the go pro. Its a different progression for coaches. In college coaches run programs, in the NBA GM's run franchises, if Fred ever left it would be to run a team as a GM. Some GMs coach too but IMO it would take a GM job to get him out of Ames.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I don't think Fred is leaving any time soon, but the NBA absolutely makes sense for any top flight college coach who wants to challenge himself at the highest level. Every great college coach has flirted with the idea at one time or another. The NBA might actually be less of a "meatgrinder" than college, longer season yes, but you don't have to spend time writing love letters to high school kids and you get to just focus on coaching without any of the recruiting and boosters ******** that comes with a college job.

My issue with the NBA if I was a coach is the "love" is given to the players, not the coaches (minus Phil and Pop). College coaches are put on the pedistall.....coach k, izzo, Roy, cal, ect. Money shouldn't be an issue, isu should pay whatever Fred wants. If he can get to final four in te next couple years, he will be seen as the next coach K or Williams.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
ESPN college bball guy. From Minneapolis.

He's argued with me about it all season so far.
Thread could have been stopped with this. Who is recruiting the heck out of that area? What is best way to put doubt in said recruits mind? Answers.....CFH and he won't be there long. Please....little Pitino wants to rid that area of any and all competion for players. What better way than to put a little bug in every recruits ear about a certain coach who will not be long for his program.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
If Fred ever leaves for the NBA it won't be to coach. He's knows the NBA landscape too well to get caught up in the NBA coach hamster wheel, coaches in the league are a dime a dozen and get fired at the drop of a hat. Look around the NBA, what big time college head coaches that made the jump are still around? Coach K was a lock to go LA, Billy Dononvan was all but hired in Orlando but made the wiser choice, Calapari, Pitino, the list goes on. People try look at it the same as players, when they reach a certain point in the their college career, the go pro. Its a different progression for coaches. In college coaches run programs, in the NBA GM's run franchises, if Fred ever left it would be to run a team as a GM. Some GMs coach too but IMO it would take a GM job to get him out of Ames.
If he wanted to be a GM, why did he leave the front office of an NBA team to coach college bball?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
If he wanted to be a GM, why did he leave the front office of an NBA team to coach college bball?

You think he couldn't find his way back into management if he wanted? I think we all know why he left the NBA at this point, its not some secret.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron