Mark Mangino

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Not really sure why anyone would want Franklin. Franklin got everyone fired at Auburn because his offense sucked bad. We need to find a new guy with the same offense as Herman and hire him. Then Hire another new guy in 3 years with the same offense as him. I am affraid of Rhoads going the Dan Mac route and hiring guys he knows and sticking with them regardless of the offense on the field. CHiz did that as well. Hire an up and coming guy like Kingsbury.

At least you got your moniker right.
CPR did not "know" Herman in 2008. Had never worked with Wally either. Hiring Kingsbury would be a disaster.

Reactions: VeloClone

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Mangino might have a hard time getting a HC job anyway ... regardless of success. ISU could add contract incentives to his weight/fitness.

Heck, I saw an interview with Warren Buffet and he said that he tied incentives to his own son's charitable trust based on his son's weight.

That's true. I think I saw the same show. Love the way Buffet handles his life. A lot of great lessons can be learned from that man.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Isn't the whole idea that a successful coordinator moves on to a head coaching position?

Whether that's Mangino or not, it doesn't really matter. Nobody is coming with the hope of being a successful OC here for the rest of their career. Whoever it is will be moving on, one way or the other.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
At least you got your moniker right.
CPR did not "know" Herman in 2008. Had never worked with Wally either. Hiring Kingsbury would be a disaster.

Who said CPR knew them? Not me. I said Franklin sucked as an offensive coordinator at Auburn and said we need to find a new guy like Herman. Read my post. I also said someone like Kingsbury would be good. He knows offense and runs similar style to Herman. So let me guess your all behind Franklin, the guy who scored like 10 points a game at Auburn?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
MM made me about vomit every other year in Ames when he was on the sideline. What a disgusting time bomb of a pig. He had the finances to fix himself, still does, why doesnt he is my question. Im talking gastric bypass here, he is morbidly obese. That being said no argument here about him knowing offense

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Isn't the whole idea that a successful coordinator moves on to a head coaching position?

Whether that's Mangino or not, it doesn't really matter. Nobody is coming with the hope of being a successful OC here for the rest of their career. Whoever it is will be moving on, one way or the other.
Like Wally?

Maybe you forgot to sign it: Ken O'keefe.

My take is there are a LOT more guys that are coordinators that never become head coaches than there are guys that become head coaches.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He could be a great hire. But if our offense takes off in 2 years, no way we keep him. He wants to be a head coach somewhere. And I believe he can and will be a great coach, took Kansas to 12-1 in 6 years and a BCS bowl win. 3-1 in bowl games.

Perfect reason to hire him. As a HC, he did things at KU they never dreamed of. Rhoads. Burnham. Mangino. What an amazingly awesome top 3 ISU FB staff members that would be. Best at ISU ever? Maybe.

Realistically, I'd rather get a young guy that needs to prove himself over 5-6 years before he might take off, provided he does want to take off.

IMO, this is overrated. Win now - get the best person possible. If they help the program win and improve talent - then move on - so be it. Thank them for their service and go get an even better OC.

The KU offense was rather productive with Mangino. I'd have no problems with him being our next OC. I couldn't care less what his weight is.

Last edited:

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
There are two things Mark Mangino knows. Food and offense. If Iowa State could afford him, I'd have no problem with him riding a rascal on the sidelines calling the offensive shots. He's a proven winner and knows how to make the best out of each and every one of his players.

FIFY

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Who said CPR knew them? Not me. I said Franklin sucked as an offensive coordinator at Auburn and said we need to find a new guy like Herman. Read my post. I also said someone like Kingsbury would be good. He knows offense and runs similar style to Herman. So let me guess your all behind Franklin, the guy who scored like 10 points a game at Auburn?

This makes your previous post even more ridiculous. You can acknowledge that CPR has no record of coaching nepotism, yet post of having unfounded fears that CPR is going "Dan Mac route and hiring guys he knows and sticking with them regardless of the offense on the field."? In that post you pleaded for new blood, and now you are wanting to find guys like Herman? Your desire for CPR not to hire Franklin (18.5 pts/gm at Auburn, BTW) clearly has you grasping for straws (and contradictions) on this subject.

I do not think it matters whether there is a previous relationship with CPR or not. CPR has said the new OC must conform to us. I agree, if we do not have the personnel to run a Herman type spread, we should not run a Herman type spread.
Besides flexibility, ideally the new OC would bring or design a more innovative offense than Herman's, and have experience schematically creating advantages for a team with less talent than the competition.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We can get him a four wheel cart to drive around on the sidelines. We can deliver pizza. We can get him a new Cy wardrobe. We can get him his own section at Hickory Park. It might work.

C

CyBer

I think the bigger question here is if we get Mangino, is the athletic department going to do a hot dog eating promotion?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Mangino may be the best candidate for one season but it's stupid to assume that he would stick around, with any iota of success. If longevity is important maybe we should look more into promoting Messingham.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Messingham will eventually move on too. Can't plan on anyone being here for more than 3-5 years. (Except cpr :smile:)

C

CyBer

One question, if we starting winning a lot, what's to make us think that everyone who works here isn't replaceable?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Not really sure why anyone would want Franklin. Franklin got everyone fired at Auburn because his offense sucked bad. We need to find a new guy with the same offense as Herman and hire him. Then Hire another new guy in 3 years with the same offense as him. I am affraid of Rhoads going the Dan Mac route and hiring guys he knows and sticking with them regardless of the offense on the field. CHiz did that as well. Hire an up and coming guy like Kingsbury.

I'd probably give him a pass for his work at Auburn. He was charged with transforming a ground it out offense the spread and was fired after maybe 5 games. That's not much time to do that much changing.

The one thing that I don't know about Mangino is what position he coaches. ISU needs a QB coach and if Mangino doesn't coach QBs, it's not going to be a good fit. I'd be on board with promoting Messingham to OC and then hiring the best spread QB coach they can find. But I'd have no problems with them hiring Franklin either.

Rhoads is a smart guy. I trust him to find the right guy who fits in to the culture and philosophy he wants. I do disagree with the Mac "sticking with assistants" comparison. CPR demoted Wells from WR to TE when the WRs were really bad. He isn't going to let his ego get in the way of making the right decisions.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
CPR demoted Wells from WR to TE when the WRs were really bad. He isn't going to let his ego get in the way of making the right decisions.

Is it really a demotion when you switch from one position coach to another? I guess I view that as personnel management - aligning the coaches' skill sets with the proper position groups. If you were moved from your current job to basically the same job but in a different department, would you say you got demoted?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Do you actually know what happened at Auburn? Or do you just see that the offense wasn't very good and assume it was all Franklins fault?

If you read some of the articles that have been posted in the various thread about the OC position and Franklin, you will get a much better understanding about what went down at Auburn and some of the many reasone why Tuberville was canned after that season.

I'll sum it up for eveyone from what I've gleaned in those articles.

At the end of the 2007 season, prior to the bowl game, Auburn OC Al Borges resigned (for some reason I can't find) leaving Tuberville looking for an OC. Franklin was lighting it up at Troy at the time and Troy had put up a ton of yard on Georgia that year in a loss. Tuberville brought in Franklin for the bowl game and with 8 days prep, Auburn put up a lot of yards in a win over Clemson.

In one of the articles it said that for the bowl game Tuberville was desperate and just let Franklin do whatever he needed to do.
Now on to the fateful 2008 season. Franklin was OC for the first 6 games that season. People who watched those games said that they only saw a few spread concepts and they weren't running what Franklin had run at his previous stops (and at his OC stops since then). There was a lot of discord between Tuberville and Franklin with Tubbs quoted as saying that they didn't run Franklins offense, that they ran Auburns offense. It was pretty obvious that Tuberville was micromanaging Franklin and not letting him run his system at all.
After 6 games, Auburn was 4-2 and it was apparent to everyone watching the games that the offense was trending farther away from the spread concepts that Franklin usually ran.
Tuberville fired Franklin in an attampt to save his job (again). Auburn went 1-5 from that point forward winning only against an FCS patsie late in the season.

Basically Tubbs hired Franklin to bring in the spread, but didn't let him coach the spread. The talent they had on hand was built for Al Borges "Gulf Coast Offense" which was a power run based West Coast offense. Instead of letting Franklin coach the spread, and recruit players for the spread, Tubbs forced the offense to change drastically from what Tony wanted to run. I get the feeling that Tubs thought it would be a quick fix. When there were signs of growing pains, he quickly scrapped everything and ended up with a disorganized mish mash of spread and west coast power running. It obviously didn't work.

At the end of the year Tubbs was fired and out of a job. Tony was hired on the next year at Middle Tennessee State and quickly turned their offense around.
He was then hired at La Tech by Sonny D-ykes who obviously knows what it takes to run a spread offense.

Everywhere that Tony has gone, that has let him really run his system, they have had drastic improvements in their offensive numbers. Troy went from 109th to 16th in the nation. MTSU went from 84th to 24th in one year.

From what I have seen Franklins system is pretty adaptable to the type of QB he has available. He has done well with dual threat QBs running more zone read and pocket passers running a T-Tech style Air Raid.

</rant>

Last edited: