Mark Mangino

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
There are two things Mark Mangino knows. Food and offense. If Iowa State could afford him, I'd have no problem with him walking the sidelines calling the offensive shots. He's a proven winner and knows how to make the best out of each and every one of his players.
For goodness sake...Iowa is the nation's leading pork producer, if we can't afford him, who can?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Has anyone seen Mangino lately? Maybe he has lost 100 pounds. Anyway, the guy does know offense and if he is healthy and he can live with working under CPR, I think he would he a great hire.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
He has problems with directions too. He got lost in kc trying to get to I-435 to get to independence, mo so he stopped and asked a gas station attendant 'how do I get to 435?'

The attendant told him, 'diet and excercize'

Poor guy can't catch a break.

Nice.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
My question is: Would there be enough room in the offices (and sidelines) for MMs ego and allow for CPR to rightfully maintain control?

KU needs to make right move: Rehire Mangino

"I'd like to be a head coach because I feel I have some unfinished business. But I'll say if being an offensive coordinator or being a position coach is the opportunity that is the best fit for me and the best fit for them, I'll do it. I miss it. I just miss it."

As for his weight, Mangino said it's a private matter.

"I feel terrific," he said. "I walk everyday. I'm going great in that respect. I think that's a personal thing. The governor of New Jersey is a big guy and a lot of people want him to run for the president of the Untied States. As humans we all have things that are not perfect about us.

"I have gradually, as it should be, I'm getting myself into better (shape)," he said.

He could be a great hire. But if our offense takes off in 2 years, no way we keep him. He wants to be a head coach somewhere. And I believe he can and will be a great coach, took Kansas to 12-1 in 6 years and a BCS bowl win. 3-1 in bowl games.

Realistically, I'd rather get a young guy that needs to prove himself over 5-6 years before he might take off, provided he does want to take off.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm

"I'd like to be a head coach because I feel I have some unfinished business. But I'll say if being an offensive coordinator or being a position coach is the opportunity that is the best fit for me and the best fit for them, I'll do it. I miss it. I just miss it."

"I feel terrific," he said. "I walk everyday. I'm going great in that respect. I think that's a personal thing. The governor of New Jersey is a big guy and a lot of people want him to run for the president of the Untied States. As humans we all have things that are not perfect about us.

"I have gradually, as it should be, I'm getting myself into better (shape)," he said.

He could be a great hire. But if our offense takes off in 2 years, no way we keep him. He wants to be a head coach somewhere. And I believe he can and will be a great coach, took Kansas to 12-1 in 6 years and a BCS bowl win. 3-1 in bowl games.

Realistically, I'd rather get a young guy that needs to prove himself over 5-6 years before he might take off, provided he does want to take off.

Wait, you'd rather take a gamble on an unproven rather than hire Mangino?

If you meant we will likely get a young guy rather than Mangino, I would agree. But I think if I had the choice between an unproven and Mangino, I would elect the latter.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I think if we hired Mangino and had a couple of really good offensive years, he would likely be gone to be a head coach. He says so himself. He wants to be a HC somewhere but if he has to pay his dues again in lower positions he will.

Personally, I think a guy like Franklin at Louisiana Tech or Frost from Oregon would be a better choice long term. Franklin is proven in running an offense that we want. Frost is proven with his QB coaching. Both I think would need to be here 4-5 years of good offense before being considered for a HC job, if they want to be a HC.

But I do think Mangino would be a great hire as he is very proven offensively. But given he wants to be a HC, I think he is a stop gap for a couple years provided he has great success.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I think if we hired Mangino and had a couple of really good offensive years, he would likely be gone to be a head coach. He says so himself. He wants to be a HC somewhere but if he has to pay his dues again in lower positions he will.

Personally, I think a guy like Franklin at Louisiana Tech or Frost from Oregon would be a better choice long term. Franklin is proven in running an offense that we want. Frost is proven with his QB coaching. Both I think would need to be here 4-5 years of good offense before being considered for a HC job, if they want to be a HC.

But I do think Mangino would be a great hire as he is very proven offensively. But given he wants to be a HC, I think he is a stop gap for a couple years provided he has great success.

Basically you have to weigh (ha) the benefits of having Mangino for two years or Franklin for 4 years. Personally I think Frost, given any success, would be just as temporary as Mangino. If Frost is successfull in his first two eyars as OC, I can see him jumping to another school as an OC in a heartbeat. Franklin is the only one of the three I could see sticking around for a while even with some success.

Mangino is a great offensive coach and has been very successfull as an OC at the BCS level. He took Kansas to unseen levels as well. Two years of Mangino could be worth it if it sets up his successor with a great offense. It's all about opportunity costs.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
He has problems with directions too. He got lost in kc trying to get to I-435 to get to independence, mo so he stopped and asked a gas station attendant 'how do I get to 435?'

The attendant told him, 'diet and excercize'

Poor guy can't catch a break.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Oh, as for what I think of Mangino as the hire? I would be all for it if that's who they chose.
I think Franklin might end up being a better fit because he has a really long pedigree as an OC.
Frost is a big risk/reward pick up. He could be able to bring the Oregon spread to ISU and be a huge success. However, he has never called the plays before and it would be a big risk to put the success of the offense on his shoulders.

I think we end up with an OC that has called plays before.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Two years is a long time in college athletics. In two years you can rise to new heights or fall to a level that will take ISU 6-8 years to recover from. You take the best possible candidate that you have the ability to hire. Urban Meyer was not going to come to ISU and be head coach. If Mangino is the best candidate and it fits our long term plans then you go after him and hope he's successful. If he gets a head coaching gig in a couple years thats great for him and we will move forward with the next best thing in two years.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Oh, as for what I think of Mangino as the hire? I would be all for it if that's who they chose.
I think Franklin might end up being a better fit because he has a really long pedigree as an OC.
Frost is a big risk/reward pick up. He could be able to bring the Oregon spread to ISU and be a huge success. However, he has never called the plays before and it would be a big risk to put the success of the offense on his shoulders.

Just about anyone can bring the "Oregon spread" to ISU.

Unless he's bringing the Oregon "speed" to ISU, well, running the Oregon spread at ISU would be an unprecedented disaster.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Mangino would be a great hire and i don't anyone is knocking down his down to be a head coach, hence the 2 years of being unemployed. I think his health will always scare schools away from making him a head coach again.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

IMO, Frost shouldn't even be on the radar for the OC position. Prior to joining the staff at Oregon, he coached LB and was co-DC for UNI. He has 3 years of experience on the offensive side of the ball, and I would completely floored if he's even being given slight consideration for this position.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA

I agree with this.

No matter who ISU hires we run the risk of having them move on if we experience success. Someone like Mangino might move on quicker than Franklin or Frost or whomever, then again whos to say that one of them doesnt get offered just the right job and they take off after just a few years?

Regardless of who we get the risk of them leaving is there if there is success, however I would rather have 2-3 years with a successful OC and then have them move on because of a bigger opportunity than 4-6 with someone who just cant quite get over the hump.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Basically you have to weigh (ha) the benefits of having Mangino for two years or Franklin for 4 years. Personally I think Frost, given any success, would be just as temporary as Mangino. If Frost is successfull in his first two eyars as OC, I can see him jumping to another school as an OC in a heartbeat. Franklin is the only one of the three I could see sticking around for a while even with some success.

Mangino is a great offensive coach and has been very successfull as an OC at the BCS level. He took Kansas to unseen levels as well. Two years of Mangino could be worth it if it sets up his successor with a great offense. It's all about opportunity costs.
Thats very true. If Mangino came in, did incredible and we went 9-3 and 10-2 and then he left, Iowa State OC job could be seen as a better job.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
IMO, Frost shouldn't even be on the radar for the OC position. Prior to joining the staff at Oregon, he coached LB and was co-DC for UNI. He has 3 years of experience on the offensive side of the ball, and I would completely floored if he's even being given slight consideration for this position.

Very true. People see that he's associated with Oregon so they assume that he could bring the system. He might end up being exposed without having superior athletes. A lot of coaches run into trouble when they aren't coaching a team of 4 star or better athletes. **cough** CHIZIK **cough**

I think it would be too big of a risk. CPR is a defensive coach so he needs his OC to be completely in charge of the offense. That tells me he needs a seasoned OC.