Larry alone atop C-USA

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
So how much excitement did you have the three years Tinsley wasn't here, and he was four games under .500? That 12-19 season was ******* thrilling...

I loved those teams as much as anyone. But the revisionism that Iowa State fans attach to coaches, both good and bad, is borderline scary.

I root for LE today. I am happy for him. But there are a lot of unflattering stories about him when he was here. He deserved to lose his job, if he truly has changed, I am sure he would agree.

Whoa! I think you might want to lighten up a little. The guy wasnt' saying LE was a better coach than JO. He didn't say LE did more for the University than JO (in fact I think he said the opposite).

He just said LE was/is his favorite ISU coach. I think the guy is welcome to his own thoughts & opinions - it's his personal experience.

You can have yours too and neither of you need to be criticized for either.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Larry made his own choices. BVD was incompetent...yes, but let's not pretend that Larry didn't make his own bed and embarrass the crap out of this University.

Yes he did embarrass ISU by his actions, however BVDV furthered the embarrassment by his response.

I used to think the firing was unnecessary until I heard that Larry said after the fact that he had not hit bottom when they were considering firing him and it took getting fired for him to take his problem seriously and actually change his life.

I'm sad for what it cost the program, but glad that it helped Larry.

Yes, BVD was a mistake for this athletic department.

EDIT: By the way, I can't see this thread title without thinking that it might have been easier for Larry if he did it with his team rather than going it alone...

Bad logic. His firing for having a disease was not necessary.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So how much excitement did you have the three years Tinsley wasn't here, and he was four games under .500? That 12-19 season was ******* thrilling...

I loved those teams as much as anyone. But the revisionism that Iowa State fans attach to coaches, both good and bad, is borderline scary.

I root for LE today. I am happy for him. But there are a lot of unflattering stories about him when he was here. He deserved to lose his job, if he truly has changed, I am sure he would agree.

Just the way I feel...I never once stated I thought LE was John Wooden or the person I looked to for moral leadership! As I stated...LE is my favorite coach and I explained why! Name me an ISU MBB coach that didn't have down years? I love Coach Orr but talk about revisionist history...he is adored mostly due to his personality (not because of the way his teams played defense)! Both of those guys made ISU relevant on a national scene (LE both positive and negative)...not an easy thing to do! Again...just the way I feel...sorry my feelings don't align with yours!

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The LE situation had ISU as the butte of jokes that was nationwide. I wasn't among them but I think it was pretty evident from the media, call in shows, and most of the vocal public that LE had to go. I wish BVD had kept Larry and stood up to the criticism, but the jokes and embarassment may have continued if he had.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
isuno1fan-It's fine to disagree with my last sentence, but can you back up your opinion with any facts? I can and will if you want some info on the records and accomplishments of each coach.

16-14, 1, 9, 3

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

ISU President the day after Larry was fired, which wasn't for his "disease", but for his failure at the final three attributes.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes he did embarrass ISU by his actions, however BVDV furthered the embarrassment by his response.

Bad logic. His firing for having a disease was not necessary.

I've had to fire people "for having that disease" multiple times. The real reason for firing is their actions while they are drinking not the disease. He could have been an alcoholic, drank himself into oblivion regularly and made unhealthy decisions for himself without doing what he did that affected his employment and the program. You don't avoid prison for vehicular homicide if you kill someone while driving drunk. Isn't that incarceration for having a disease?

He said himself he hadn't hit bottom and didn't think his drinking was really a problem. If he wasn't going to change anything, why was it not the right decision?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
isuno1fan-It's fine to disagree with my last sentence, but can you back up your opinion with any facts? I can and will if you want some info on the records and accomplishments of each coach.

Not going to talk about it in this thread. I'll just say I am of the opinion the the slide was caused by and began with the LE situation. Not saying Morgan didn't do "ok" (although he had our program headed in the wrong direction behind the scenes) or that GMac didn't continue the mess. My only point is where it started.

Now...back on topic.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The problem was that it was swept under the rug with hopes that it would go away. BVD was made aware of the problem in February (?) when it happened, but rather than having the sack to suspend Larry and force him to get some help, he let it fester to the point of no return. Most of the blame lies with Larry, but that is where BVD's blame lies. It never should have turned out like it did, but once it was allowed to turn into a "scandal" the writing was on the wall.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The problem was that it was swept under the rug with hopes that it would go away. BVD was made aware of the problem in February (?) when it happened, but rather than having the sack to suspend Larry and force him to get some help, he let it fester to the point of no return. Most of the blame lies with Larry, but that is where BVD's blame lies. It never should have turned out like it did, but once it was allowed to turn into a "scandal" the writing was on the wall.

It was best for LE that it ended up the way it did. He would not have recovered otherwise IMO. LE would tell people not to make excuses for what happened to him. He takes full responsibility. Our fan base should only point the finger in one direction and that is at LE. His actions, and his actions alone created the end result.

Reactions: Go2Guy

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I think they could have done more to help him with his problems before canning him unceremoniously.

We agreed to pay him > $900,000 just to avoid a court and all the dirt that would have come out on him. ISU did more than enough, and had cause for firing him; our athletic dept didn't have to shell out any money.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Do you feel Stacy should also have gone a little more easy on him too?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Favorite thing about Larry:

When ISU was doing well and the other team had to call a time out, he wouldn't even call them over to coach them. He'd tell them to stay on the court and wait for the other team.....kind of a bush move, but hilarious and confident.

I remember during out Elite Eight run back in 2000 we played #15 seed Central Connecticut State in the 1st round. They might have been underseeded because they played us pretty tough and they made a run to get into single digits in the 2nd half. LE called a timeout but then just stood there apart from the team. We ended up winning by 10. When asked about that timeout after the game and why he didn't coach them up during it, LE said something along the lines of "Well, they got us into that situation, so I thought they could figure out how to get out of it and coach themselves." That cracked me up and still does.

My own feelings on LE are mixed; I'll always be thankful to him for the 2 Big 12 titles and that tournament run, but by the end of his tenure I was really tired of the constant roster turnover both during and after the seasons and the feeling of turmoil that seemed to be a constant. I am glad for him that he is having success at Southern Miss and will pull for him and his program.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Do you feel Stacy should also have gone a little more easy on him too?

Where did I say anybody should have gone easy on him? I said we needed to make him get help as soon as the incident was brought to light rather than hoping it would just go away. I also said most of the blame lies with Larry. Honestly, I'm not really sure wth you're even trying to say.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think he must've lost his voice from screaming. I barely recognized him without the black nike turtleneck.

I think enough time has passed that we should schedule a non conference game with them. It would give ISU a chance to honor Larry's accomplishments and would actually be a pretty decent non conference game. Just seems like good closure for a guy that bled cardinal and gold.
Tim Floyd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Larry Eustachy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greg McDermott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fred Hoiberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about a tournament with Creighton, UTEP, Southern Miss, and ISU in Ames in a year or two?

It would be Cascade, iowa, Lincoln, NE, Hattiesberg, Miss, and Alameda, CA born coaches.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
You just can't ever get enough listening to LE... 'when we first got here there was like 12 people at the game, 10 of them was our team'

Congrats on getting to 20 wins and getting the Memphis Monkey off your back.

I wonder if he gets shopped around to BCS schools at the end of the year?
This was funny as crap.!

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
LE seems to be doing great. Over the past couple of years there has been a some publications on this. He said he was very comfortable where he was at. People didn't care if he won or lost, very low pressure and that allowed him to teach his players more about life as well as basketball.

I also remember So. Miss trying to give him a raise or part of his salary and he gave it back because he said that he and his team didn't deserve it. That shows how much a coach cares and the character behind him.

The best article I read about him was when him and Floyd were going to play each other for the first time (last year?) and they had an article w/ both of them talking back and forth. It was very comical and had a lot of ISU talk in it.

LE still talks very highly of ISU and we should of him. He will be remembered for as long as ISU basketball exists. I hope someday we can honor him inside of Hilton someday.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Whether ISU screwed Larry or Larry screwed ISU does not really matter anymore. Enough time has passed. Time to bury any mutual differences that may still exist, and like the poster above said, let's schedule Southern Miss.