Larry alone atop C-USA

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I know. I'm just saying it would be tough as a fan to watch us play against ol' Larry. He took us to the highest heights we've seen, and get **** on by an incompetent AD.

Larry made his own choices. BVD was incompetent...yes, but let's not pretend that Larry didn't make his own bed and embarrass the crap out of this University.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Larry made his own choices. BVD was incompetent...yes, but let's not pretend that Larry didn't make his own bed and embarrass the crap out of this University.

I used to think the firing was unnecessary until I heard that Larry said after the fact that he had not hit bottom when they were considering firing him and it took getting fired for him to take his problem seriously and actually change his life.

I'm sad for what it cost the program, but glad that it helped Larry.

Yes, BVD was a mistake for this athletic department.

EDIT: By the way, I can't see this thread title without thinking that it might have been easier for Larry if he did it with his team rather than going it alone...

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Happy for Larry & glad he is having success. Despite his 'appearance' (hey, if we are lucky we all get older, add a few lbs, etc), he looked pretty darn happy. Sure, they had just won (& hadn't vs Memphis in 18 tries), but appeared he was enjoying life. Wish the best for him.

Reactions: bostrem00

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Some of his exchanges with Pete used to be epic. Post game shows and the call in show were must listen radio. I'm glad he got his life in order, it's just too bad things had to work out the way they did. He was and is a great coach. Hopefully they finish strong and make a good run in the dance.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Favorite thing about Larry:

When ISU was doing well and the other team had to call a time out, he wouldn't even call them over to coach them. He'd tell them to stay on the court and wait for the other team.....kind of a bush move, but hilarious and confident.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Favorite thing about Larry:

When ISU was doing well and the other team had to call a time out, he wouldn't even call them over to coach them. He'd tell them to stay on the court and wait for the other team.....kind of a bush move, but hilarious and confident.

...And intimidating and demonstrates to your players that you have confidence in them. I loved it too.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
In the video I thought LE looked a little heavier, but looked good. His voice was probably hoarse from the game but he's still got a great sense of humor. I also wish LE wasn't fired, but the pressure from the media, call in shows, and internet chat lines was so intense against him that I don't think BVD had much choice. It probably worked out best for LE anyway. And some still want to put down Morgan after he took over a mess and gave us 4 post season tournament wins in 3 years. I'm also grateful to Morgan for what he did, it was GMac who took the program into the basketball graveyard.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
In the video I thought LE looked a little heavier, but looked good. His voice was probably hoarse from the game but he's still got a great sense of humor. I also wish LE wasn't fired, but the pressure from the media, call in shows, and internet chat lines was so intense against him that I don't think BVD had much choice. It probably worked out best for LE anyway. And some still want to put down Morgan after he took over a mess and gave us 4 post season tournament wins in 3 years. I'm also grateful to Morgan for what he did, it was GMac who took the program into the basketball graveyard.

I completely disagree with the last part of you statement, but alas that is the topic of another thread.

packthejack23

Oct 7, 2011
I would not want to face his teams twice(+) a year. Especially when he has the recruiting cache of a Big 12 team at his disposal.

True, but it think he deserves to be in a power conference. Maybe he should go to the big 10 or Pac 12 and dominate

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Hard to believe anyone would not pick Orr. Maybe you are younger??

Not really young...Coach Orr's teams are what made me an Iowa State fan to be honest (growing up in Cedar Rapids...not a lot of Iowa State fans so this was not an easy thing to endure...lol). I love Coach Orr but the days LE was on our bench just instilled a level of excitement for me than no other coach did for me. I really enjoyed Coach Floyd's short era as well...just something about watching LE coach while he was here got to me! Not a slight at all toward JO I hope...absolutely love him as well!

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
isuno1fan-It's fine to disagree with my last sentence, but can you back up your opinion with any facts? I can and will if you want some info on the records and accomplishments of each coach.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I hope that okie state hires eustachy after they fire Ford in a few weeks

I wonder if he'd jump even if given the chance. Southern Miss gave him a shot when he was a lepper in the coaching community and he has commented on how much that meant to him. I really believe that it's not all about money and recognition with LE. He may well be happier and better off a little out of the limelight. Now, if he wants to take another run at a national title.....

If he does take another "BCS" job, I too hope it's not in the B12. I have no interest in seeing him on the opposing sideline multiple times a season. He's a helluva coach and it would be too hard emotionally.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Not really young...Coach Orr's teams are what made me an Iowa State fan to be honest (growing up in Cedar Rapids...not a lot of Iowa State fans so this was not an easy thing to endure...lol). I love Coach Orr but the days LE was on our bench just instilled a level of excitement for me than no other coach did for me. I really enjoyed Coach Floyd's short era as well...just something about watching LE coach while he was here got to me! Not a slight at all toward JO I hope...absolutely love him as well!

So how much excitement did you have the three years Tinsley wasn't here, and he was four games under .500? That 12-19 season was ******* thrilling...

I loved those teams as much as anyone. But the revisionism that Iowa State fans attach to coaches, both good and bad, is borderline scary.

I root for LE today. I am happy for him. But there are a lot of unflattering stories about him when he was here. He deserved to lose his job, if he truly has changed, I am sure he would agree.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
So how much excitement did you have the three years Tinsley wasn't here, and he was four games under .500? That 12-19 season was ******* thrilling...

I loved those teams as much as anyone. But the revisionism that Iowa State fans attach to coaches, both good and bad, is borderline scary.

I root for LE today. I am happy for him. But there are a lot of unflattering stories about him when he was here. He deserved to lose his job, if he truly has changed, I am sure he would agree.

That 12-19 season was brutal. LE was stuck those years with no point guard and no players besides Jake Sullivan. His best players bolted Haluska, Powers, and a few others that would of contributed. Some people couldn't play for him. I still would of loved to see him with Stinson, Blalock, and Vroman. Morgan would of brought those guys in whether or not he was head coach. I don't think we would of had as wild of a roller coaster ride with LE coaching them.

I wish LE luck now and cheer for him. Part of me wanted to see him back before CFH.