King Mclure alert

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I didn’t think that at all
He alluded several times that as the opposing team in Ames, you have to be ready for Iowa State getting favorable calls in Hilton. While it may have been true at times last night (I thought the refs were awful last night fwiw), historically speaking that is not the case, and implying that Hilton Magic is similar to playing 5 vs 8 at AFH like the halftime booth guy did is completely asinine.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Give me the broadcast crew last night over the MC22 quality broadcast we got in the non-con...

McClure is a Baylor guy, Tang was his coach. Even knowing that, I thought he was fair enough to both teams last night.

REALLY looking forward to the CBS production on Saturday against KBOOOOOOOOOOO
This is why I personally think he wasn't great last night. In all though, I do think he has improved over the years.

Reactions: carvers4math

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I feel the same way. He's a lot like Tony Romo for me. He'll say some things I think are dumb, but overall he adds to the watching experience and makes it fun.
Tony Romo is really, really good. He knows football like no other analyst on the air.

King is getting better. He knows Big 12 basketball, but nowhere near as good as Romo, in my opinion.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He alluded several times that as the opposing team in Ames, you have to be ready for Iowa State getting favorable calls in Hilton. While it may have been true at times last night (I thought the refs were awful last night fwiw), historically speaking that is not the case, and implying that Hilton Magic is similar to playing 5 vs 8 at AFH like the halftime booth guy did is completely asinine.
Well, actually it is the case or it was the case. It is several years old but there was a study that showed Iowa State had one of the most favorable home court advantages in terms of fouls called. I think the foul difference for iowa state, home vs away, was even bigger for ISU than Kansas. Of course there is a difference for all teams home v. away. That isn't showing a bias for KSU.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Spatola would be great if it weren't for the silly little noises he makes as they go to break. Hope he'll drop that as he realizes that he's pretty good without developing a schtick.
Spatola could add his wisdom without coming off as a know-it-all jerk like he does. He knows everything and he damned well is going to tell you.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Well, actually it is the case or it was the case. It is several years old but there was a study that showed Iowa State had one of the most favorable home court advantages in terms of fouls called. I think the foul difference for iowa state, home vs away, was even bigger for ISU than Kansas. Of course there is a difference for all teams home v. away. That isn't showing a bias for KSU.
I tend to wear cardinal and rose colored glasses when watching Iowa State play, but I can take them off long enough to acknowledge that we got some good calls last night. I do not feel, though, that this is always the case. Probably not even normally the case. I'd be interested to see this study. Hilton Magic is the passionate fan base. Not refs bailing Iowa State out. My humble opinion anyway.

Back to McClure, no, he was not openly rooting for K-State, but I could tell he disagreed with a lot of calls against K-State, versus not really commenting any disagreement when a call would go against Iowa State. It was subtle, but it was there. And it was subtle because he is getting better at this.

Reactions: Halincandenza

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's a loooooooong way down from Gary Thompson, Paul Splittorff, Jon Sundvold, and Fran Fraschilla in the analyst chair to....

King McClure, Bryndon Manzer, Kevin Lehman, Chris Spatola, Jon Crispin.

Oof.
Those old Big 12/8 sponsored by Phillips 66 analysts on Saturday afternoons were really good.

I actually don’t have a strong dislike for McClure or Manzer. McClure is getting better at the job and has some good nuggets particularly on defensive strategy.

I gained a lot of respect for Manzer when he did the OSU -ISU women’s game. Really did his homework on ISU.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Spatola would be great if it weren't for the silly little noises he makes as they go to break. Hope he'll drop that as he realizes that he's pretty good without developing a schtick.

Yeah definitely could do without the whole "hes wet" thing

Reactions: Cyclonepride

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Best part of his commentary last night was when he said “Iowa State sure didn’t play defense like this when I played. They didn’t have any interest in guarding you. They were good at outscoring you though.”
He also said something like, "you could get whatever you wanted"

I wanted to get upset, but then I was like, "Yeah, that's actually pretty much spot-on.'

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think in terms of volume of calls, it actually is similar to AFH.

The difference is the truly insane calls that go their way at absolute do or die junctures. We don't get Phantom 3s. But we get a **** ton of favorable block/charges.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Those old Big 12/8 sponsored by Phillips 66 analysts on Saturday afternoons were really good.

I actually don’t have a strong dislike for McClure or Manzer. McClure is getting better at the job and has some good nuggets particularly on defensive strategy.

I gained a lot of respect for Manzer when he did the OSU -ISU women’s game. Really did his homework on ISU.
I actually enjoy Manzer. He does a good job of explaining the show, not trying to be the show.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I like King. Not my number one, but far and away above most that are currently on the air (obviously IMHO).

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
The refs were awful last night. They wrecked the pace of the game with a lot of ticky-tack calls and going to the monitor like 50 times. I think the game lasted longer than 2½ hours. There were bad calls that went both ways.

But to your point: you're right we don't even approach the AFH favorable calls level. You can see that just in the numbers. Total fouls called in our home games is usually even or a couple either way. In fact last year we had one of the worst foul differentials for home games in the Big XII.

I will say, under Johnny, through TF & Larry & even Fred I'd say we did much better in that regard. I'd have to look up the Chewy years (tried to forget) for reference under him. Prohm was a doormat for atrocious officiating.

I think TJ's still considered kind of a new kid in town with the refs so maybe he'll improve with getting more calls in the near future.

But also coaching style and style of play factor into things as well. As does overall talent level.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
At least he was right last year when he would say his shot isn't broken, Chuckie, when talking about Lipsey!

Reactions: VeloClone

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Spatola is way worse than King imo. King is not my favorite but he's fine. Has gotten better at least.
fully agree. Spatola is awful. King at least knows the Big 12, and has some good insight.

Can we get a Fran Fraschilla game with Bill Walton?

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
King is an abomination. The mute button is your friend. My new strategy is to watch the game while I jam on guitar.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I like King. Not my number one, but far and away above most that are currently on the air (obviously IMHO).
I've said it before, but I really like how he brings his personal experience in the league into the broadcast. The guy knows the Big 12 intimately and he made a lot of accurate points about playing at ISU in the broadcast Wednesday night.