***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Audible alerts? Guess I didn't know there were such things. We got the two blaring tone alerts.
The blaring amber alert tone is what I mean. We did not get it - The popup for the alert came on all the phones but there was no sound to alert.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Johnston got hit a lot harder this morning than earlier this week. A lot of trees down in the neighborhood. Made the mistake of getting on 141 at 9am this morning. Lights were out and a mile took about 20 minutes.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
iphone or android?
Work phone is iPhone, two personal phones are Pixel 7's. All on Verizon. I can see the alert in my alert history - came through at 4:46 A.M.

Mixed bag of iPhones and androids both on US Cellular and Verizon at the office between coworkers - some got the tone and others didn't.

Last edited:

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Johnston got hit a lot harder this morning than earlier this week. A lot of trees down in the neighborhood. Made the mistake of getting on 141 at 9am this morning. Lights were out and a mile took about 20 minutes.
Im north of 70th St in Johnston and todays storm was nothing compared to the Tuesday storm at our house. Crazy how just a few blocks can makes big difference.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Johnston with the double dip this week.

NWS confirms EF-0 this morning, Terra Park to the NE.

View attachment 129443
Yep, we lost several large limbs and 90% of a big sycamore tree. Next door neighbor had two big trees uprooted. Missed flattening her yard shed by about 3 feet. This one was worse than the storm that came through earlier in the week.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
The one I was in was very narrow. Maybe as wide as a football field? It actually went right through the middle of a long pole shed and left each end standing while gutting the middle completely.

If you had two bad posts,a good chance the rest was starting to go. There is a chance that what they did expedited the others falling but it was just going to be time.
They removed the "expansion joint" with solid posts, that was doing the flex and transfering the forces? Now they are solid and the all the give was in one place.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Not sure if anyone has posted a link for donations for the Greenfield Tornado Relief Fund yet but here it is in case anyone wants to help.

Barn Town also kicking in a portion of some of their draft beer for the next 10 days.

View attachment 129424
Thanks for posting this! Gave me a reason to finally check out the brewery today!

Reactions: baller21

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
Yep, we lost several large limbs and 90% of a big sycamore tree. Next door neighbor had two big trees uprooted. Missed flattening her yard shed by about 3 feet. This one was worse than the storm that came through earlier in the week.
Today’s storm was 2 miles east of Tuesday’s. Those of us who live by the high school got slammed earlier in the week but not much today. Regardless of when we all got hit, there’s lots of cleanup going on in our community. But could be a lot worse.

StormWarning11

Dec 21, 2022
I'm one of the lucky Greenfield residents tapping in with a couple of things. Absolute devastation that the town will suffer for a long time from. Many family and friends lost everything. Thank you to any and all who have helped out down here. We really appreciate any help we can get.

We've been dealing with some looting problems with out of town people coming in. It's just sickening and pathetic. I've heard the stories of this happening by word of mouth elsewhere after a tragedy but maybe my ignorance didn't want to believe it. Why is this sort of thing never covered anywhere? All it takes is one looter going to the wrong house to scavenge and getting shot (rightfully so too imo).

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Work phone is iPhone, two personal phones are Pixel 7's. All on Verizon. I can see the alert in my alert history - came through at 4:46 A.M.

Mixed bag of iPhones and androids both on US Cellular and Verizon at the office between coworkers - some got the tone and others didn't.
IIRC, the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) will not override ringer volume settings.

So if you're set to silent or vibrate, you'll get a pop up only, or vibration if applicable.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'm one of the lucky Greenfield residents tapping in with a couple of things. Absolute devastation that the town will suffer for a long time from. Many family and friends lost everything. Thank you to any and all who have helped out down here. We really appreciate any help we can get.

We've been dealing with some looting problems with out of town people coming in. It's just sickening and pathetic. I've heard the stories of this happening by word of mouth elsewhere after a tragedy but maybe my ignorance didn't want to believe it. Why is this sort of thing never covered anywhere? All it takes is one looter going to the wrong house to scavenge and getting shot (rightfully so too imo).

Looting areas like that is the worst of the worst. I lived in a town in Illinois where a barge lost control and ran into the dam causing the river to flood a large portion of the town. They ended up having to call in the national guard to sit at roadblocks because the looting got so bad.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
IIRC, the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) will not override ringer volume settings.

So if you're set to silent or vibrate, you'll get a pop up only, or vibration if applicable.
I couldn't tell you for sure if they were all on silent, but that would certainly be the most logical explanation. If that is the case, I'm a little bit surprised that they aren't allowed to override volume settings given that their purpose is for emergencies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Seeing pictures shared on Ames FB page of photos found in yards, like this one (which was originally on the Boone FB page)...

1716588265854.jpeg

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
ATTs info on the emergency alerts says that you can't override their volume.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1009041/
Yeah, it's confusing and I should work on getting better info on it. But I took that to mean IF the alarm sounds, you can't change the volume that it would play at, kind of full blast or nothing.

Apparently different flavors of OS may have toggle options in the WEA settings for sounds, other numerous documentation of people not getting audible alerts on vibrate/silent/do not disturb.

A bit of a mess.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
According to the FCC:

"If you turn off the vibration or sound on your WEA-capable device, you may not feel the vibration or hear the attention signal of a WEA message."

• Informative
Reactions: Agclone91

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Silly question what is a water table? My only definition is how far below ground level you go before you find standing water.

Reactions: Letterkenny