"ISU is the only loser in the new Big 12"

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
A contender for what? We are one of 10, so we already are a contender. However IF you are implying that we will be a contender for the TITLE anytime soon (football) then pass that crack pipe around and let us all share. IB

That is exactly what I'm implying. There are no guarantees, but Paul Rhoads will put his team in a position to do exactly that before his career is over at ISU.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That statement from a LOSER like Deace is actually a compliment.

Steve Deace. Michigan fan and Big Ten suckup.

Newsflash Deace. This deal made everyone winners in the Big 12. A Loser in the Big 12 is 100 times better than a "Winner" in the Big East or Mountain West.

Deace has outdone himself today.

He must want to stir the pot with irrational comments like Matt.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You need to read this article:

Big 12 Conference: Influential people saved league - ESPN

It appears that a number of different entites are working together to put an end to the college superconference phenomenon. If what this article says is true, this is now much bigger than one school's desires...

Given this knowledge, I wonder if the Big Ten would give NU back to the Big 12 if given the opportunity...
Obviously the Bowl people are working behind the scenes.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So will Hawk and Nebby fans meet on this board and duke it out when their big game is played? Great. Looking forward to it.:biglaugh:

Because they obviously couldn't do it on their respective boards. Unfortunately this board seems to be a magnet for our rivals' riff raff...

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I realize your intellectual capacity in this matter is lacking so I will expalin it to you. I stated they become more of a non issue. Not that they are a non issue. It's simple, ISU is in a better position now then they were just 24 hours ago. ISU can use this time period to improve their football program thus making Texas less of a factor concerning any possible future actions taken by Texas. But go ahead and continue to pout about Texas. Whaaaaaa Whaaaaa.

Ok.... since you don't seem to get it I will explain it nice and sllllllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwwwww for you...

ISU gained potentially 10 million dollars a year. SO DID EVERYONE ELSE AND SOME GAINED MORE THEN THAT. So.... in the grand scheme of things ISU was dead last in the Big XII in athletic budgets. We are still in dead last. The teams that gained more then we did have only pushed themselves farther ahead of us and the schools more on our competitive level have remained ahead of us. We have also increased the difficulty in our schedule on a yearly basis thus making it even more difficult then it already was to make bowl games etc...

I find it interesting that the guy who was banging the drum on CF every single day about how we have to win on a regular basis before we can expand the stadium to generate more revenue, more donations, more season ticket sales, etc... is now on here talking about how this is soooooooooo great. Really.... we have fallen further behind in funds and now our schedule will be much more difficult for us to win on a regular basis but everything is great now. Hmmmmm.... what changed? As I see it.... nothing has changed except for the fact it will be even tougher to compete. Your idea of winning before we do anything (stadium upgrades, etc....) will now be even harder to attain. This makes me wonder why you are so happy. Interesting. :confused:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guess the one thing that's getting missed in this argument that "ISU is the only loser in the new Big 12" is the fallacy of the assumption that ISU is "locked" into the 9th place revenue spot permanently. Not the case. While we're not going to climb up to #1 anytime in my lifetime, much less the top 3, it's not as if we can't improve our position, either. Take the revenue thread from yesterday:

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/big-xii-conference/93572-current-big-12-revenues.html

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100613/BIGRED/706139829

Nebraska, once one of the revenue kings of the Big 12, fell to 8th place in Big 12 revenue. Kansas and Missouri, on the other hand, two of the assumed traditional revenue "dogs" of the conference, were in 3rd and 4th place respectively. Keep in mind that over the last 5 years (well, except for KU last year) both schools have been absolutely competitive in football, have made a lot of TV appearances, have made decent bowls, in KU's case have recently made a BCS bowl, and in MU's case were arguably screwed over by KU for that BCS bowl. Not to mention KU is traditionally strong in basketball and MU's team has improved significantly lately.

What does this mean? ISU controls part of its own destiny in terms of how much revenue it earns. While it appears to be improving, we have been absolutely miserable in the two sports that matter -football and men's basketball- for about 5 years now. OF COURSE it's going to show up in the revenues. If our football and basketball teams were to play just at the level that Mizzou has been playing at over the last 5 years, not only would our fans be for the most part fairly giddy, but it would show up in our revenue because we'd be on TV a lot more often. While we like to bang the "unfair" drum about unequal revenues, ISU actually has the power to do something about it, even as disadvantaged as we are.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Since '97: win% against Neb/Col = 25%, win% against Big12 South = 24%.

We should be ok as long as we soften up the non-conference.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Ok.... since you don't seem to get it I will explain it nice and sllllllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwwwww for you...

ISU gained potentially 10 million dollars a year. SO DID EVERYONE ELSE AND SOME GAINED MORE THEN THAT. So.... in the grand scheme of things ISU was dead last in the Big XII in athletic budgets. We are still in dead last. The teams that gained more then we did have only pushed themselves farther ahead of us and the schools more on our competitive level have remained ahead of us. We have also increased the difficulty in our schedule on a yearly basis thus making it even more difficult then it already was to make bowl games etc...

I find it interesting that the guy who was banging the drum on CF every single day about how we have to win on a regular basis before we can expand the stadium to generate more revenue, more donations, more season ticket sales, etc... is now on here talking about how this is soooooooooo great. Really.... we have fallen further behind in funds and now our schedule will be much more difficult for us to win on a regular basis but everything is great now. Hmmmmm.... what changed? As I see it.... nothing has changed except for the fact it will be even tougher to compete. Your idea of winning before we do anything (stadium upgrades, etc....) will now be even harder to attain. This makes me wonder why you are so happy. Interesting. :confused:

You should have stayed put with your crack rocks statement.

1. ISU receives an increase of revenue. On a percentage basis it is close to the greatest increase in revenue.

2. The new schedule is not anymore difficult than in the past, historically speaking going back to the Big 8.

Keep crying.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
He's right for the most part. Our increase in funding is relative and we get an exponetially more difficult schedule. Previously, we were able to hide from Texas and OU every two years.....not the case now. no matter what people say and how tuff CPR is. these two games have been proven L's. I think we are like 5 - 67 against OU and 0 - 7 against UT.

And so did everyone else's. Everyone else will play the same tough conference schedule now. There won't be any more situations where one season a team gets a break from the top teams while another plays a brutal schedule against the conference elite. So it's all relative. In a year where say ISU is battling Mizzou or KU for a bowl slot, our head-to-head games against them will be what decides it. A round robin schedule has its merits.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
However, in economics there is the idea of decreasing marginal benefits. Another couple million dollars doesn't help Texas near as much as a couple million dollars helps us.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA

What this does for us is this...

1.) Gives us a stay of execution that would have happened if we were not in a BCS conference. We would not be relevant. We would be to Iowa and the rest of the state what UNI is to us, a little brother.

2.) While yes the money is still uneven, like said it doesn't neccessarily have to be slanted that way. We have room to move up IF we can produce on the field.

3.) This additional money let us do projects like bowl in the south end which will increase revenue. In increase in stadium capacity is a good thing. Are the other Big 12 teams doing this? This is where we gain an advantage. At 8 mil a year this project would be tough to pay for. Now with new contracts and the bonus money from CO and NE, this becomes feasible.

4.) Gives us additional revenue to give US the advantage over teams not in the conference. While we don't play them as often, recruiting, bowl games and such will benefit greatly.

5.) Schedule...sure it gets tougher cuz we play TX and OU every year. But guess what..we get Baylor too every year. Fine chalk us up for 2 losses every year. I believe we can be competitive every year with the other teams as long as they're not having a super year. We'll upset a team here and there. Bowls are not out of the picture and with a tougher schedule..guess what... we look better in the rankings.

Who the eff cares about TX. They have always been and will probably always be the big dogs. We were about 1 step away from irrelevancy. Had this gone down the way everyone thought, ISU in ten years is not even talked about in the same sentence as Iowa. Anyone who sees this as bad for ISU is a hater plain and simple.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron