"ISU is the only loser in the new Big 12"

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Re: Deace

Deace completely missed the mark on this one. In reality the revenue gap has been shrunk based on pecentage of revenue gained by each University. The schedule is no harder than historically has been the case going back to the Big 8 days.

Anyone who considers this a bad deal for ISU doesn’t understand the dynamics that ISU was faced with. The simple reality of the matter is ISU would have been left to die athletically. As much as you want to convince yourself by using some obscure internet blog as your supporting point of reference - NO OTHER CONFERENCE WANTED ISU.

As far as revenue sharing is considered ISU has an opportunity to earn an additional share by becoming a better program. When you consider that Texas athletics brought in over $138 million in revenue in 2009 and have brought in over $100 million for each of the past 10 years. Does a $5 - $7 million dollars difference in Big 12 revenue sharing really matter? So what if Texas gets more money from the Big 12 than ISU, the fact is they can only spend so much anyway.

On a percentage basis ISU practically doubles their Big 12 share. Now all of a sudden ISU is getting screwed from a 100% increase in revenue?

At the end of the day ISU is in a better position to achieve success.

This is nothing but a net positive for ISU.

Can't rep you right now, so +1!!

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
Yes, but why does this matter? DeLoss Dodd might be arrogant and greedy, but he's not dumb. The entities providing the money (and others with influence/power as well) have apparently said that they don't want major realignment into superconferences. They prevented it this time with positive reinforcement. Next time, it might not be so positive...

Wouldn't you rather have 10 schools that WANT to be in the Big12 instead of 6 who needed the Big 12?

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Wouldn't you rather have 10 schools that WANT to be in the Big12 instead of 6 who needed the Big 12?

want and reality are two different things.

this is the best option for ISU.

unless I can get Doc Brown to take ISU back in time and magically put us in the Big Ten.

Hey Dubbs!

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
Most schools "need" their conference. Iowa included.

I didn't say schools didn't "need" their conferences but let's be honest, Kansas/Kansas State/Baylor/ISU/Missouri and Texas Tech were in some trouble if the Big12 folded, the other schools had pretty good options.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
This. The first time somebody can offer Texas more money and the ability to keep their own tv network then they will be gone.

The only way this can be stopped is if Dan Beebe magically grows a pair and puts it specifically into the bylaws that based on the revenue sharing model that the teams that make the most revenue must also pay a larger buyout in proportion to their higher percentage of revenue. Texas is looking at making 25 million a year.... 25 million to buyout. ISU makes 14 million.... 14 million to buyout. This will at least keep teams honest because Texas could make a boatload of cash in a couple of years and turn around and tell the BIG XII to suck it and off they go leaving everyone else for dead. Specifically leaving ISU, KSU, KU, Mizzou, and Baylor for dead.

Dude, Texas has been making a boat load of cash going on 15 years now. Now all of a sudden the dynamics of the situation change?

Stop worrying about Texas and start concentrating on improving ISU. ISU has been given a stay of execution while at the same time receiving a 100% increase in revenue potential. If ISU uses this time to their advantage by increasing their football performance, Texas becomes more of a non issue.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I didn't say schools didn't "need" their conferences but let's be honest, Kansas/Kansas State/Baylor/ISU/Missouri and Texas Tech were in some trouble if the Big12 folded, the other schools had pretty good options.

Indeed, and that is why we want to be in the Big 12. Necessity breeds desire.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
want and reality are two different things.

this is the best option for ISU.

unless I can get Doc Brown to take ISU back in time and magically put us in the Big Ten.

Hey Dubbs!

Big12 conference with Texas running things or the MWC.......yeah, no brainer that it was the best case scenario but..........I don't trust Texas won't try and screw the conference again.

What's up Palmer?

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we also get Baylor on the schedule every year? Doesn't aTm sometimes suck? Have we never been competitive with OU? Have we never beaten Okie State? Didn't we have to beat Texas Tech once en route to a really great season? Didn't this very team go into Memorial and beat a very fine Nebraska team just last year?

So, what this all means is that in order to do well, ISU has to win what remains of the North, beat Iowa and do well against a few of the south teams. Texas runs the show and has earned the right to make more money than God. What, exactly, has changed?

When we joined the Big 12, everyone was worried that we'd lose a cupcake game from the schedule, everyone else in the league laughed that we were "[SIZE=-1]Iowa State - A Band With A Football Problem"[/SIZE] and "Iowa State - A Team With Losses to Schools that Sound Like Campgrounds" (I've got the old print articles - back when articles were done in print). What happened? We got better. A lot better. We competed, scratched and clawed our way to a (yes, modest, but light years beyond where we'd been) unprecedented run for a program against the best competition across the schedule. Ever.

Come on, girls. Hitch up your skirts and let's do this. Never forget that Steve Deace is the C3PO of Cyclone Nation. Thank God CPR is Han Solo, in charge, and always shoots first.

The Force, for once, is with us.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we also get Baylor on the schedule every year? Doesn't aTm sometimes suck? Have we never been competitive with OU? Have we never beaten Okie State? Didn't we have to beat Texas Tech once en route to a really great season? Didn't this very team go into Memorial and beat a very fine Nebraska team just last year?

So, what this all means is that in order to do well, ISU has to win what remains of the North, beat Iowa and do well against a few of the south teams. Texas runs the show and has earned the right to make more money than God. What, exactly, has changed?

When we joined the Big 12, everyone was worried that we'd lose a cupcake game from the schedule, everyone else in the league laughed that we were "[SIZE=-1]Iowa State - A Band With A Football Problem"[/SIZE] and "Iowa State - A Team With Losses to Schools that Sound Like Campgrounds" (I've got the old print articles - back when articles were done in print). What happened? We got better. A lot better. We competed, scratched and clawed our way to a (yes, modest, but light years beyond where we'd been) unprecedented run for a program against the best competition across the schedule. Ever.

Come on, girls. Hitch up your skirts and let's do this. Never forget that Steve Deace is the C3PO of Cyclone Nation. Thank God CPR is Han Solo, in charge, and always shoots first.

The Force, for once, is with us.

Haha!

funny/good post.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Wanting to be in a conference and needing to be in a conference are not mutually exclusive.

The reason UT wanted to be in the Pac-10 was money. They get that now in the Big 12.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
ISU fans: which is better....being non-contenders in football in a league run by one school, or being a contender in a more "equal" conference?

Easy answer. What any capitalistic freedom loving american would say. It is better to be given a chance to succeed competing against the best. You do not make small people big, by cutting off the legs of the giants. We are being given the opportunity to elevate our position in life. I hope we are able to take advantage of that opportunity. Success and accomplishment are earned, not given. Under your line of thinking Indiana, Purdue, Minny, NW, and Illinois should be looking to leave the Big 10. Think they are considering conf. usa so they can be more competitive? Heck no, they are thinking about what it takes to improve their lot where they are at. In our conference, the rich got richer and the poor got richer. The poor can get even richer if they take advantage of the opportunity given them. I'll take my chances in our new league. I too am in favor of dropping the Iowa series. It is a lose/lose for us.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all this except dropping Iowa - still unsure about that. There are still people looking at the down side way too much. Yes we play TX, OU every year but that means we play Baylor, OSU & TT every year and even though we might not have had much success against Baylor, OSU & TT it may be better or as good of success as we have had against NU and CU. I also think NU and CU not being in the Big Xll helps us in recruiting Texas because they don't play in the Big XII any more. If we get good coaching we can complete - we have always had less money - it's time to start looking for the positives and not the negatives.

Reactions: Cyclone46

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Dude, Texas has been making a boat load of cash going on 15 years now. Now all of a sudden the dynamics of the situation change?

Stop worrying about Texas and start concentrating on improving ISU. ISU has been given a stay of execution while at the same time receiving a 100% increase in revenue potential. If ISU uses this time to their advantage by increasing their football performance, Texas becomes more of a non issue.

Texas will become a non factor for ISU? Did you have a bowl of crack rocks for breakfast?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is just me, but I'd rather have Texas come into our place and have a tiny shot at winning (and by tiny, I mean really small) rather than pay to watch us beat up on Akron and Bowling Green...

Take for example the Oklahoma game 2 years ago (I believe it was 2 years ago). We gave them a heck of a game with a pretty poor team. While a game like this is clearly the "exception to the rule", I think that is both more fun as a spectator and creates a better opportunity for our team to get better and compete nationally than beating up on MAC schools.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
coach paul rhoads and herman will surprise many teams this year.our offense will be in high gear this year with a healthy money and the new juco receiver we recruited.
i think the surprise of the year will be the new running backs we have recruited-shontrelle johnson and the running back from ft worth.

dcypal

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
This might be a stupid question but why did Deace think Iowa State the only one losing in this agreement? I know we had so many other options available, Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big East, Pac 10, everyone wanted us but we decided to stay.

My good friend P Green and I always try to work in a quote from Major League when we get together and I think this one applies.......

"I'm not much for giving inspirational addresses, but I'd just like to point out that every newspaper in the country has picked us to finish last. The local press seems to think that we'd save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big ****burger to eat!" Lou Brown

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Texas will become a non factor for ISU? Did you have a bowl of crack rocks for breakfast?

I realize your intellectual capacity in this matter is lacking so I will expalin it to you. I stated they become more of a non issue. Not that they are a non issue. It's simple, ISU is in a better position now then they were just 24 hours ago. ISU can use this time period to improve their football program thus making Texas less of a factor concerning any possible future actions taken by Texas. But go ahead and continue to pout about Texas. Whaaaaaa Whaaaaa.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Wait until Paul Rhoads turns ISU into a contender. Then we will see who the loser is.

A contender for what? We are one of 10, so we already are a contender. However IF you are implying that we will be a contender for the TITLE anytime soon (football) then pass that crack pipe around and let us all share. IB

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
18de3b.jpg

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
Wanting to be in a conference and needing to be in a conference are not mutually exclusive.

The reason UT wanted to be in the Pac-10 was money. They get that now in the Big 12.

I'm still not sure Texas will get as much money in the Big12 that they could have had in the Pac-10 (guess we'll wait and see)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron