Iowa State reached out to Behanan

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Fred playing with fire? He was playing with a bomb strapped to his chest when he brought in Royce White and he will likely never again coach someone who had as criminal of a childhood as Royce. He helped Royce change and I'm sure he can do the same with any player that comes into our program.

He said in his latest podcast with ESPN that he coaches with the same philosophy as Johnny Orr, to make sure he gets his players ready for life after college basketball, because they may not be playing it after they graduate. He does a great job at this and if he feels he can help Behanan, he can help Behanan.

I don't think Hoiberg regrets what he did for Royce White. If the exact situation came up again, I think he would handle it very much the same way. I've heard nothing from Hoiberg that would indicate that he "learned his lesson" with Royce and would never do that again. Just the opposite, I hear him saying things that indicate pride and satisfaction for what he did with Royce.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't think Hoiberg regrets what he did for Royce White. If the exact situation came up again, I think he would handle it very much the same way. I've heard nothing from Hoiberg that would indicate that he "learned his lesson" with Royce and would never do that again. Just the opposite, I hear him saying things that indicate pride and satisfaction for what he did with Royce.

Exactly. Royce didnt bring anything bad to ISU. He started his media circus after he was long removed.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I got excited when I heard he was leaving Louisville. He's a great player. The only problem would be that he only has a half semester left I believe, but a guy like that I'd love to have period.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It isn't quite a zero failure rate. There is John Lamb but the success rate is very high and there is no reason not to trust CFH et al to make the correct evaluation and manage the situation.
John Lamb was a walkon. Zero failure rate.

I got excited when I heard he was leaving Louisville. He's a great player. The only problem would be that he only has a half semester left I believe, but a guy like that I'd love to have period.
A full year if he sits out all of next.

"Reached out" means Fred (or one of his assistants) has at least talked to him, so we'll see how it all works out.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Pitino... That guy has room to talk... He has a pattern of cheating on his wife.
Cyclonestate78...your Rashadraham Lincoln picture just may be the creepiest thing I've seen. Funny...but creepy looking just the same. Lol

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
So you're telling me if we land Mr. Behanan we'd have a frontcourt rotation of FOUR seniors for the 2015-2016 season (Niang, McKay, Nader, Behanan). Four grown A 22-23 year old men banging down low. That wouldn't just be the best frontcourt in the conference that'd be arguably the best frontcourt in the nation. Hoiberg isn't messing around anymore he's going for all the marbles.

Get Mr. Vaughn to come showcase his talents in Freddie's wide open offense and who knows maybe convince him to come back for his sophomore year and win a national title...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So you're telling me if we land Mr. Behanan we'd have a frontcourt rotation of FOUR seniors for the 2015-2016 season (Niang, McKay, Nader, Behanan). Four grown A 22-23 year old men banging down low. That wouldn't just be the best frontcourt in the conference that'd be arguably the best frontcourt in the nation. Hoiberg isn't messing around anymore he's going for all the marbles.

Get Mr. Vaughn to come showcase his talents in Freddie's wide open offense and who knows maybe convince him to come back for his sophomore year and win a national title...

Fred's been plain about those titles from the very beginning.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Has any one questioned his thuggishness yet?
Is he thugly enough?

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Unless he's finishing out the school year at the "vuhl I don't see it. That would make it two guys paying their own way for a semester. If Fred can do that he is salesman of the century

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Unless he's finishing out the school year at the "vuhl I don't see it. That would make it two guys paying their own way for a semester. If Fred can do that he is salesman of the century

I would highly doubt he does anything except finish out school, redshirt, and play his last year in 2015-16.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I think he can either play the 2nd semester of next year, or an entire year the year after.

I'd rather he sit and play all year the next. But can you imagine a front court 2nd semester next year of Niang, Nader, McKay, Behanan, Hogue. Oh my. Basically the most dominant frontcourt in all of college baskeball and it's not even close.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
The more I hear national media and just fans in general making ISU transfer jokes, the more transfers I want Fred to take. Am I the only one?

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Serious question, could he transfer at semester and get a ton of academic scholarships (find a way somehow).

Would this be possible since he's technically not on the basketball team? Instead of paying his own way for 6 months.