Iowa State reached out to Behanan

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This kid would have to hang in there at L'ville for another semester, that would take some straightening up in and of itself. If he gets to the point he is ready to do the "sit one/play one" scenario", I'd say a lot of the risk around him would be gone. Until then you never know, I hope the kid gets it together and would love to have him here.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I would prefer a guard for next year, but we can probably still find one in April/May if RV goes elsewhere. Having this guy to replace Hogue, Percy and Edozie in 2015-16 would be fine by me.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I didn't realize he'd have a full year if he stays the rest of the year. If that's the case, I'd be interested.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
That 2015-16 class is absolutely loaded. That is going to be a real fun year.

If possible, it would be nice to wait on Behanan until this Spring to see what else happens or who might be available.
I think I would still take Vaughn/Cunningham over Behanan, but that is obviously a best case scenario.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I would love to have him as he fits what we do with our posts, but IMO we should address our needs for 14-15 with our two openings. If we are lucky enough to get RV, I'd rather have a Cunningham, 5th year guard next year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That 2015-16 class is absolutely loaded. That is going to be a real fun year.

If possible, it would be nice to wait on Behanan until this Spring to see what else happens or who might be available.
I think I would still take Vaughn/Cunningham over Behanan, but that is obviously a best case scenario

Ahh aren't these great problems to have to think about :) The thing is, even if none of these guys end up here, we're still already 5-6 deep for the next couple of years. IMO anything else that comes via transfer or recruiting is just gravy honestly but could be the difference between tourney teams and teams that make deep tourney runs.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone remember back in the Gmac days when transfer rumors came up? That was a nightmare. I love the fact that we are now rumored to be in on EVERY good transfer that is available, even when we don't get them.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I guess I trust Fred's judgement. Why would I not?

However, I think if you play with fire long enough, it's sure to burn you eventually. Maybe not though?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I prefer Transfer U to One-and-Done. It gives guys a whole year to work on their game and become part of the team. Seems like the One-and-Done teams (UK, KU, NC) are having lots of off-years that can't be explained any other way than having talent (and egos), but not a cohesive team. We are 3 for 3 in terms of building cohesive, high quality teams, primarily relying on Transfer U.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
I thought they said he'd only have a semester of eligibility left? Are they assuming a year based on a waiver to 'remove' this year's time?

My only concern was the one semester thing...if that's a moot point, then go for it.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I prefer Transfer U to One-and-Done. It gives guys a whole year to work on their game and become part of the team. Seems like the One-and-Done teams (UK, KU, NC) are having lots of off-years that can't be explained any other way than having talent (and egos), but not a cohesive team. We are 3 for 3 in terms of building cohesive, high quality teams, primarily relying on Transfer U.

I'll take both

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
One good thing about these "risky" transfers that have gotten into trouble at their previous school is that you can tell them when they come here that if they screw up once, they're gone. They will be on an extremely short leash and will be held to a higher standard than other guys who haven't screwed up yet.

You just make them well aware just how lucky they are to have gotten another shot at life and they better not waste it. In that sense, I think sometimes you can get a kid that behaves even better than the other players.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Has everyone finally come to the realization that Fred is trying to take this ISU program to the next level?

How long before the NBA extends an invite? :jimlad: (sorta)

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I thought they said he'd only have a semester of eligibility left? Are they assuming a year based on a waiver to 'remove' this year's time?

My only concern was the one semester thing...if that's a moot point, then go for it.

I think he can either play the 2nd semester of next year, or an entire year the year after.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
To be fair, taking a look isn't the same as bringing him in. Hoiberg could very easily take a look and decide it's not worth the risk. But how's he going to make that assessment without looking into him in the first place?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

KU is going for it's TENTH straight B12 title this year.

UK won the national championship 2 years ago and will likely make a deep run this year.

I'm not you would find many people outside of the state of Iowa that wouldn't trade rosters with any of those schools.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Is this the same married/father of 5 Pitino who banged a woman on a restaurant table and then paid for her abortion? I bet he's a stickler for always following rules.

It's not just Pitino's rules that Behanan was breaking. He also got kicked out of the dorm this year.

I'm all for taking him if he wants to come to ISU.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I guess I trust Fred's judgement. Why would I not?

However, I think if you play with fire long enough, it's sure to burn you eventually. Maybe not though?

You will get burned eventually going the conventional route as well. There are no sure things. I'm ready to give Fred's way a quick pass as soon as one of them back fire on him. It is bound to happen but the positive side of the ledger is filling up quickly to more than counteract a negative or two down the road.