Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa’s band was on the field after the game and a ISU staff member told them to get “the F off the field”. He then apologized but the band was still told they needed to get off the field. Then the 4 officers that were with the band went ahead to clear a path so they could leave since there were fans also leaving. They were not around when the alleged events happened. Apparently it was adults and not students. Security was with the band but left them which is why none of them saw anything.

Barta failed here as he did not contact authorities when this was reported. The band members involved were told the Iowa AD department would handle it which is why nothing was done initially. They were trying to get out of Ames and it was reported to the band director who contacted Barta. I don’t blame the band I blame Barta because he could have done something right away and didn’t.

You do know that officers line the north wall of the Olson building while people leave. The officers clearing the path does not make sense since that would have forced them to shut down the exit basically. I don’t condone physical altercations but do understand why a fan could get ticked if they were held up and couldn’t leave because the officers were blocking off the exit and the band was dinking around

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is what I was told by people in the band. A friend of my

My niece is in the band and she was back in Davenport over the weekend. So are two of her friends and they told this to my wife.

They were farther ahead and didn’t see what happened but heard screaming/yellin

That is how the band exits. There are over 100 kids and they have to go on the field and the file out. It’s roughly a 4-5 block walk in total to there the buses are from the stadium.

Last statement is wrong, they go down and follow the path along the edge to enter and exit. If they were on the field, they deviated from the designated route. May be why the officers weren’t right there if the band wandered in the field.

Your niece did clear up some info then, the band was not doing what they were supposed to be doing so they made the officers job more difficult.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Either way if a person breaks their ribs...they're going to know it I'd think and it would get pretty quick medical attention.

Had mine three broken in the den of our dorm floor as we were messing around. No fun. Literally could not breathe. The ROTC guy that broke them carried me over to student health. Not much they could have done but just walking to class the next day. I had to stop every so often just to catch my breathe.

If the person would have broken their ribs, they would have had to seek help. I am 6'2" and around 210 at that time and it hurt like ****. If it was anyone smaller I can imagine it would have been a big deal when it happened.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'll actually disagree with this.

The best place for their band to be is separated from the crowd and having them go down to the field does that. Pretty sure that's been standard procedure.

Being on the field is different than being on the paved walkway that goes around the field. The band leaving the field belongs on the paved walkway but not the field itself.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I was going out the northwest side of the stadium at the same time as the band. Everyone was jammed in there due to the bottleneck with the construction and then the band decided to try to push through there playing the Iowa Fight Song on the way their buses. I thought at the time it was a bad idea. I also almost got smoked in the head by their tuba section as they were swinging them around while playing and it wasn't possible to move out of the way. I didn't hear or see any sort of scuffle or disturbance, but I wasn't with them the entire way to their buses. Most of the fans were pretty checked out after 7 hours in the stadium coupled with the disappointing ending.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I was going out the northwest side of the stadium at the same time as the band. Everyone was jammed in there due to the bottleneck with the construction and then the band decided to try to push through there playing the Iowa Fight Song on the way their buses. I thought at the time it was a bad idea. I also almost got smoked in the head by their tuba section as they were swinging them around while playing and it wasn't possible to move out of the way. I didn't hear or see any sort of scuffle or disturbance, but I wasn't with them the entire way to their buses. Most of the fans were pretty checked out after 7 hours in the stadium coupled with the disappointing ending.

Yeah sorry if there were beers thrown at them I really don't feel bad if this is true.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

Making an assurance that 100k fans in/around stadium won’t make any poor decisions is a pretty tall ask from Iowa. So hypocritical

Yeah..and what version of the various alleged things is this person claiming (PRIOR TO A TRUE INVESTIGATION BEING COMPLETED) actually occurred ?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Making an assurance that 100k fans in/around stadium won’t make any poor decisions is a pretty tall ask from Iowa. So hypocritical

LOL, poor TOE wants to take their ball and go home. Fine, total win for us. We can forever hang it over them that they tucked tail and ran, and we never have to deal with their jackass fanbase at JTS again.

Added bonus we free up some options for some more interesting non con games.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Almost like this was the motivation for starting up this **** in the first place.

Theyve won 5 in a row so they might feel now is an opportunity to get away from this game before our continued rise ends that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Well, that was always the game.
Barta didn't suddenly get a heart for the band. For him, it's just like his fit about UNI and Drake, so this was either about ditching the game (which is fine) or selling those tickets.