Mar 5, 2017
Some stats for reference:

Tackles: Lanning 114, Harvey 76 (one fewer games), Spears 107
Sacks: Lanning 6, Harvey 4.5, Spears 1
TFL: L 11, H 12, S 8.5
INT: L 1, H 1, S 2
Passes Defended: L 2, H 5, S 3
Fumbles Recovered: L 1, H 1, S 0
Great, now show me the assignments missed.

Lanning was great for the context, and by the end had really developed, but there’s a reason why his grade wasn’t as high.

There is always risk with first time starters, but it’s very plausible a guy like Vance will have a similar season. I’m more concerned with replacing Lanning as our short-yardage QB. That easily could be the difference in several drives each game.

Last edited:

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Here’s Lanning’s game by game grade on PFF

UNI: 33.8
Iowa: 28.5
Akron: 87.6
Texas: 81.4
Oklahoma: 35.5
Kansas: 85.3
Texas Tech: 83.0
TCU: 42.0
West Virginia: 39.7
Oklahoma State: 41.8
Baylor: 73.9
Kansas State: 72.4
Memphis: 75.6

Lanning finished the year graded out to 60. Jake Hummel was 77.6, but with a very small sample size. Lanning is very replaceable.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
While Lanning was one of my favorites he was out of position a lot especially early on in the season. I disagree with the bolded above as if you think about the fact Lanning was essentially a rookie at the MLB position and most of his production hinged on the beasts in front of him. His strength was in his athleticism and leadership which the athleticism can be recruited and leadership is a trait that can be worked on. A freshman coming in might not have been in the program for as long, but will probably have been playing a linebacker position the last couple years at least.

hope you are right - not trying to state my opinion as fact... just seems to be an area where we have a potential hole.

I could be over stating this.. and I agree that all of the LB last year, and likely more so this year, will get a lot of help from the dudes up front.

I am very excited for this year and this defense... I am not as concerned at Safety - sounds like the new guy (transfer) is the real deal, and others seemed to play well in the bowl game... Everywhere else I think we will be better. Go Cyclones!

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
This defense goes where Lima takes it. Could be very good with him and mediocre without him.

I disagree somewhat. The defensive line is not a one-trick pony any more because of something we haven't seen in a long, long time ... depth. Lima is good, yes, perhaps our best DT in the past 10 years, but the light seems to have turned on for Jamahl Johnson AND Tongamoa and the staff is really high on Tucker Robertson too. I think a combination of any of the first three guys will be formidable.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that the thing we'll miss most from Lanning is his leadership followed closely by his ability to run the ball on offense in short yardage. Just LB play, I feel like he is definitely replaceable. He was not great in coverage and got beaten to the sideline a lot by faster players.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So, one of the articles I read listed Rose at 222 lbs. He’s on the roster at 210, so is that right? That’s more like Cordarrius Bailey’s roster size—who, btw, seems to have disappeared from mention.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don’t think I have ever had this much anticipation for an up coming season than I do right now. I’m actually excited and have high hopes for this team. This is the first time I have ever had confidence in a team going into a season. Anyone else have this feeling that big things are going to happen this fall?

Got the fever in spades!!! Ought to be a fun season.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I believe there was another scrimmage this past weekend... correct me if I am wrong.

Any updates from it as to position battles and who shined?

@ChrisMWilliams

They are being VERY quiet with info coming out of practice. I'd guess that we won't know much until the Monday press conference of game week.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron