INSIDER: A few nuggets from the 8-11 scrimmage

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I don’t think I have ever had this much anticipation for an up coming season than I do right now. I’m actually excited and have high hopes for this team. This is the first time I have ever had confidence in a team going into a season. Anyone else have this feeling that big things are going to happen this fall?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I don’t think I have ever had this much anticipation for an up coming season than I do right now. I’m actually excited and have high hopes for this team. This is the first time I have ever had confidence in a team going into a season. Anyone else have this feeling that big things are going to happen this fall?

Cautiously optimistic. I can't forget that we had a lot of timely turnovers go our way just as the opponent was threatening to score: Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor. And then Memphis missed a field goal by about 2 or 3 feet that would have likely changed the outcome. We really lived on the edge last year. Are we enough better this year to NOT need those breaks again? I'm not sure. I am hoping we are. It would be nice to just flat out outplay other teams so that turnovers or referees don't decide the game.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Cautiously optimistic. I can't forget that we had a lot of timely turnovers go our way just as the opponent was threatening to score: Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor. And then Memphis missed a field goal by about 2 or 3 feet that would have likely changed the outcome. We really lived on the edge last year. Are we enough better this year to NOT need those breaks again? I'm not sure. I am hoping we are. It would be nice to just flat out outplay other teams so that turnovers or referees don't decide the game.

We had a lot of things go our way for sure last year. But we had plenty go wrong too. Iowa, the horrible interception. Oklahoma State, Kansas State. Hell the ******* penalty against Texas and Park being a basket case.

Honestly, I think last year pretty much evened out.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I have a hard time believing that the MLB's dont make calls in the defense. Usually, you have a safety making back end calls but that doesn't take out the MLB's role.
I'm sure MLB is responsible for Front calls, and safeties responsible for coverage calls like is typical. I don't remember exactly how Campbell stated it in one of the recent pressers, but something along the lines of in their system they rely on a safety to be the quarterback of the defense. At the time he was commenting on Eisworth.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
We had a lot of things go our way for sure last year. But we had plenty go wrong too. Iowa, the horrible interception. Oklahoma State, Kansas State. Hell the ******* penalty against Texas and Park being a basket case.

I was just going to make note of those games that could have swung our way. Even WVU was decided late. Just about every CFB is going to have a handful of close games that can drastically change their season.

But I agree with the OP that hopefully our program continues to progress and we don't come down to the wire with so many games. Keys to that this season will be another very good defense, an improved running game to close out wins, and something that I think was extremely overlooked last season, solid FG kicking.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Butler dropped the pass in OT against Iowa. I forget what happened against WV, but I think there was a no call (or a PI call) that was really marginal toward the end that helped WV.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We were 4-5 in games decided by 10 points or less. The rest were blowout wins. If anything, we're closer to winning more games than fewer.

In all reality, we as fans can sit here and debate the talent on this team, our schedule, and numerous other things (which I'll gladly partake in) But the success of this team will ultimately come down to how the locker room handles adversity. That comes from leadership. On the outside it looks like we've got that on our team, but none of us really know. In fact, no one really knows until the bullets start flying.

Honestly, we could go 10-2 and play in the conference title game. This team has that potential. Or we could miss a bowl game altogether WCS

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
--- In addition to McDonald, another standout freshman defensive player that's been great during camp is Mike Rose, the linebacker out of Ohio.

So, is Mike Rose competing for this job good for this year? replacing Lanning was always going to be a challenge... the fact that a true freshmen is in the mix may be a bit of a warning sign.

When I saw the CF story on this, it was a bit concerning that Vance had not yet wrapped this up. I hope this is more a case where we have a group of guys that can be used based on various match ups..

But at least for now, it appears this will be one position that takes a bit of step back year to year. Not that the overall LB group can't be better vs last year (Spears improves, Harvey improves), but if you have a true freshmen in competition to place Lanning, hard to believe that is going to be an improvement this year (future could be in a great shape at this spot).

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
--- In addition to McDonald, another standout freshman defensive player that's been great during camp is Mike Rose, the linebacker out of Ohio.

So, is Mike Rose competing for this job good for this year? replacing Lanning was always going to be a challenge... the fact that a true freshmen is in the mix may be a bit of a warning sign.

When I saw the CF story on this, it was a bit concerning that Vance had not yet wrapped this up. I hope this is more a case where we have a group of guys that can be used based on various match ups..

But at least for now, it appears this will be one position that takes a bit of step back year to year. Not that the overall LB group can't be better vs last year (Spears improves, Harvey improves), but if you have a true freshmen in competition to place Lanning, hard to believe that is going to be an improvement this year (future could be in a great shape at this spot).

FFS people, did any of you watch the games last season? Lanning was fine for a former QB playing linebacker, but he was clearly our third-best LB. I know he received a lot of accolades, but that had more to do with publicity than play on the field. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't a star. I believe he graded out as one of the worst defenders on the team according to PFF. I would not be surprised at all to see an upgrade at MLB.

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015

I think Rose being included in the mix says much more about him as a player to be excited about than it does as a whole position group.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
FFS people, did any of you watch the games last season? Lanning was fine for a former QB playing linebacker, but he was clearly our third-best LB. I know he received a lot of accolades, but that had more to do with publicity than play on the field. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't a star. I believe he graded out as one of the worst defenders on the team according to PFF. I would not be surprised at all to see an upgrade at MLB.

Or at the very least on par with what we had last year.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Lanning made some impact plays last year.. not saying he was great, but he was very good.. he did make the 90 man roster with the cowboys... we'll see if he makes the team or the practice squad... I hope you are right but I wouldn't under estimate the value of having a leader, and a smart player who seemed to find his way to the ball .... didn't he recover the fumble that turned the tied in the OU game? I agree, raw talent, the young guys have the edge. Just not sure if raw talent will equal better play in year 1. year 2 or 3, yes. This year? not sure....

• Informative
Reactions: rbrook

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

A straight up LB, sure, but he was typically consistently around the ball and a great utility-type of role--is there anyone like that for ISU this season? (not arguing, really just wondering)

He was vital in ISU beating OU as robber/spy and didn't let Mayfield get too comfortable.

Also TCU gashed ISU on a drive just running when Lanning went out with a stinger although that may have been Patterson knowing his football and going after the inexperienced area of the field.

It was a good example of Campbell putting his best athletes in positions to make plays which was refreshing.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
A straight up LB, sure, but he was typically consistently around the ball and a great utility-type of role--is there anyone like that for ISU this season? (not arguing, really just wondering)

He was vital in ISU beating OU as robber/spy and didn't let Mayfield get too comfortable.

Also TCU gashed ISU on a drive just running when Lanning went out with a stinger although that may have been Patterson knowing his football and going after the inexperienced area of the field.

It was a good example of Campbell putting his best athletes in positions to make plays which was refreshing.

He benefited from Lima perhaps more than anyone on the defense. He was able to rely on his instincts and attack. He was a grown man out there, which might be the toughest attribute to replace - the toughness and know-how. But from a football perspective, I have to believe we will have a more complete player at MLB this season.

He made some plays against OU, but he also got killed by Flowers in the passing game. Riley picked on him a little bit with delayed routes over the middle.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Some stats for reference:

Tackles: Lanning 114, Harvey 76 (one fewer games), Spears 107
Sacks: Lanning 6, Harvey 4.5, Spears 1
TFL: L 11, H 12, S 8.5
INT: L 1, H 1, S 2
Passes Defended: L 2, H 5, S 3
Fumbles Recovered: L 1, H 1, S 0

Net - not saying Lanning was or is better than Harvey or Spears, they played different roles, you would expect a MLB to have more tackles, etc. but to I think his stats show he was productive, was around the ball, made plays and when he was not on the field it was noticeable... especially against the run..

Maybe I am wrong/over emphasizing it since he was a fan favorite, but I don't think we can assume you just drop a freshmen into the mix and replace him.

Even if we take step back at MLB, I expect overall LB (Harvey now a SR, Spears now a JR) we will be better... and Def overall, I expect to be better.. .just think this is a spot that at least starts out a bit behind last year..

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Some stats for reference:

Tackles: Lanning 114, Harvey 76 (one fewer games), Spears 107
Sacks: Lanning 6, Harvey 4.5, Spears 1
TFL: L 11, H 12, S 8.5
INT: L 1, H 1, S 2
Passes Defended: L 2, H 5, S 3
Fumbles Recovered: L 1, H 1, S 0

Net - not saying Lanning was or is better than Harvey or Spears, they played different roles, you would expect a MLB to have more tackles, etc. but to I think his stats show he was productive, was around the ball, made plays and when he was not on the field it was noticeable... especially against the run..

Maybe I am wrong/over emphasizing it since he was a fan favorite, but I don't think we can assume you just drop a freshmen into the mix and replace him.

Even if we take step back at MLB, I expect overall LB (Harvey now a SR, Spears now a JR) we will be better... and Def overall, I expect to be better.. .just think this is a spot that at least starts out a bit behind last year..

While Lanning was one of my favorites he was out of position a lot especially early on in the season. I disagree with the bolded above as if you think about the fact Lanning was essentially a rookie at the MLB position and most of his production hinged on the beasts in front of him. His strength was in his athleticism and leadership which the athleticism can be recruited and leadership is a trait that can be worked on. A freshman coming in might not have been in the program for as long, but will probably have been playing a linebacker position the last couple years at least.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I elated for the fact the we have something we haven't had in a long time....DEPTH!!

agree - the most exciting part of this team is the potential year to year growth across the board and the fact that there appears to be quality depth across the roster.... doesn't feel like there is as big a drop off this year...

Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron