Hollywood's 100 Favorite TV Shows

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's interesting how different people take a show. I thought HIMYM was genius. Pretty elaborate plot, funny, and Barney Stinson just made that show awesome. However, I can't get into other shows that most people find awesome.
I don't dislike the show, I think it's just ok. I'd say as far as primetime sitcom's go it's above averageish, IMO. It's nowhere near as good as something like Modern Family, Arrested Development or even 30 Rock.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
**** van **** Show (was that on there?), probably The Tonight Show?

Edit: Yes, DVDShow was on there, and I forgot we didn't include the D-word here.

What about Mary Tyler Moore also? or was that on there?

EDIT: Whoops, it was, and top 20 at that. :embarrassed:

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Glad Rockford Files is on that list.... Hopefully it gets on a streaming service, I'd love to go through it all.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think How I Met Your Mother is vastly overrated, not that it's a bad show necessarily but I'd say it'd be somewhere between 75-100 for me.

Up until the last season it was solid. The last season, with the exception of the mother herself, was garbage.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Way too many shows on that list from the last 5-10 years, IMO. But then again, it was a list made up of Hwood insiders, not critics and it isn't the "best" or "most classic". There are some great old shows that clearly nobody is watching right now. I am disappoint that 3's Company didn't make the list though.

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
Missing for me:

The Mod Squad
Perry Mason
Magnum PI (unless I missed it)
And probably Three's Company (loved John Ritter)

And a huge personal fave from Canada: Corner Gas.

Edit: Also forgot WKRP in Cincinnati.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The lists definitely shows the age of most of the people surveyed.

- Scooby Doo (The ******* Flintsones made it, but not Scooby Doo?)
- The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (not sure if talk shows were omitted)
- Hogan's Heroes
- CSI (unless I missed it, I'm really surprised this didn't make it)
- 3's Company
- Magnum PI
- Barney Miller
- WKRP in Cincinatti
- Coach
- Home Improvement
- Knight Rider/Baywatch - no Hof anywhere??

No soap opera was listed, yet some of those have been on the air forever.
Plus, I guarantee shows like Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Dynasty, etc were on a lotta tv's in the 80's

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
I have to confess that I've only watched one episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Those who know every episode can probably guess which one I watched.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Whar Person of Interest? Chuck?

24 should by way higher.

As much as we all love Chuck, I can understand why it's not on a "Hollywood Insider's 'Top 100'". It was extremely niche, and quite honestly, it's lucky it made it 5 seasons.

What kind of surprised me is for the image they used for the X-Files, I believe that's actually a scene from the movie.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It's interesting how different people take a show. I thought HIMYM was genius. Pretty elaborate plot, funny, and Barney Stinson just made that show awesome. However, I can't get into other shows that most people find awesome.

I personally loved the show overall. The comedy itself was nothing groundbreaking, but the overall plot device was an original idea that was a great way to get people to bear through some bad episodes (and seasons, like the last one) to continue ratings through the end.

I also don't get the hate for Big Bang Theory. Is it cutting edge or anything? No. But not all sitcoms need to be. It's a smart comedy that appeals to the masses. I actually consider that more like Friends than I do HIMYM.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Glad to see some of my favorites at various levels...West Wing, ER, MASH, Firefly, X Files, Hill Street Blues...I was a little surprised that NYPD Blue didn't make the cut.

Friends, HIMYM, & Seinfeld never interested me...nor did any of the animated series. Yup. I'm old. ;)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Interesting that Star Trek original series is so far above TNG. IMO TNG is much better.

I guess you have to consider time period and nostalgia. The original is probably the most Influential sci-fi series ever, but doesn't necessarily hold up all that well over time.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
not sure a single season show like Freaks and geeks should be that high. Definitely not better than scrubs.