Doc Sadler possible candidate for Southern Miss job

Spam

May 21, 2008
Doc is a great defensive mind. A great strategist. He's a guy Fred seems completely comfortable turning to for a second opinion on the sidelines.

But ultimately one thing that I think Fred is very good at is getting assistants and replacing assistants- seemingly monumental and insurmountable losses on the coaching staff (Otz and Lutz) were more than sufficiently replaced. In any case, the better the jobs we place our assistants into, the more attractive openings on our coaching staff become for possible future assistants.

As long as Fred is here, I really don't mind assistants coming and going. I'm confident that quality will be maintained.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Not really surprised or disappointing by this. When you hire a former head coach you better expect them to get some looks from other teams. I'd much rather replace an assistant than a head coach.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Donnie Tyndall went 27-6 (before going 2-1 in NIT) and won the Conference USA regular season last year and went to the NIT! This is not as good of a job as when Larry had it due to realignment.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Donnie Tyndall went 27-6 (before going 2-1 in NIT) and won the Conference USA regular season last year and went to the NIT! This is not as good of a job as when Larry had it due to realignment.

That might be true...but it didn't prevent Tyndall from getting looks from schools in the bigger conferences. I doubt any coach that takes the Southern Miss job thinks it is a lifelong destination job. Do your best, get noticed and move on...nothing wrong with that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hope he stays, but if he leaves I picture Hoiberg calling TJ and saying "Did you have fun on your little trip? I think it's time you come back home..."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Last two coaches at Southern Miss took better jobs...so it certainly isn't a graveyard for coaches.

Wasn't Larry E one of them? I think I remember him talking about how little the community cared about basketball. He was a celebrity here, but just an employee there.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I hope he stays, but if he leaves I picture Hoiberg calling TJ and saying "Did you have fun on your little trip? I think it's time you come back home..."

And unless Otz is quite unhappy there I couldn't imagine he'd take it.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If Doc left...Fred wouldn't have to call anyone...his phone would be ringing non-stop! He will have plenty of highly qualified candidates to choose from if an opening on his staff occurs.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Wasn't Larry E one of them? I think I remember him talking about how little the community cared about basketball. He was a celebrity here, but just an employee there.

There was an article about how bad the facilities were. The offices were basically a trailer outside the arena. They had to cross the street to a dorm or something to shower. There was no support or much infrastructure for the program. I think they put some considerable investment in it after he arrived however. And as they got better - the support grew a fair bit.

It's like most places - win and the support shows up.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
And unless Otz is quite unhappy there I couldn't imagine he'd take it.

I guess I don't even think Fred would call, but Romar is a bad year away from being fired (which seems like has been the case for the last 5 years) and I can't help but think TJ watched our success this year and regretted leaving.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I'm still amazed that the south miss coach got hired at Tenn. he basically rid LEs team into the NIT twice and that's it.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
can finally get Hornacek to be the assistant head coach. It is better than being an NBA coach per some people here.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I guess I don't even think Fred would call, but Romar is a bad year away from being fired (which seems like has been the case for the last 5 years) and I can't help but think TJ watched our success this year and regretted leaving.
I doubt our season had any impact on TJ's thoughts over leaving. It is not as though he left because he was worried we would not be successful. He thought he needed to leave to improve his resume and chance to become a head coach. After 7 years in the state of Iowa and as the Associate Head Coach at ISU he was not even considered for the Drake job.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm still amazed that the south miss coach got hired at Tenn. he basically rid LEs team into the NIT twice and that's it.

But before his tenure at Southern Miss he took Morehead State into the NCAA tournament and upset Louisville back in 2011. The guy can coach.

Anyway, back to topic I certainly can't or won't blame Doc for leaving if an offer is made. The link didn't work for me; who are the other names that are being mentioned?

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
I hope that Doc stays because while CFH can learn a lot from him in one year it would be nice if he were here for two or three years. Hoiberg can still learn a lot from him. Having Lutz as soon as he did wasn't helpful. Yes, CFH has does some amazing things in four years, but he still has a lot to learn.

Doc is getting older and may not want to uproot again to take a job for 3-4 years. After being a head coach and a high level assistant money shouldn't be the reason to take the job. CFH has let him be more than just a clip board holder. When you see ISU in a timeout he is actively talking with players and often walks out onto the floor pretty quick after the TO has been called.