Doc Sadler possible candidate for Southern Miss job

CycloneCarter

Jan 10, 2014
Zion
So we all know that CFH got a nice bonus and raise this year. I would assume the rest of the staff did as well but I didn't ever hear anything. Does anyone know how much Doc, Matt A or C Mann make?

Maybe if Fred wasn't so selfish he would have split that extra $600,000 up some. :pcool: $300,000 for CFH and $100,000 to the other three...I'll add another just in case:ptongue:

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
He SHOULD wait another year but I don't blame him. Wish him success if he gets it.

What better job is he going to get? To be honest, D1 schools (specifically BCS schools) are not looking for older ex-coaches. Much rather take a proven commodity or a young up and comer. Not going to do much better than Southern Miss until he proves himself there.

I'd hate to lose him, but would be a good gig for him. Fred will be OK. Many thought the world was going to end when we lost Lutz or Otz.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
What better job is he going to get? To be honest, D1 schools (specifically BCS schools) are not looking for older ex-coaches. Much rather take a proven commodity or a young up and comer. Not going to do much better than Southern Miss until he proves himself there.

I'd hate to lose him, but would be a good gig for him. Fred will be OK. Many thought the world was going to end when we lost Lutz or Otz.
It isn't so much that he is going to get better offers even though I think he does. The key is he has to get an offer that he likes enough that he will leave. I don't believe Southern Miss is one of those schools. One key to look at is as long as he is here with Fred he has a 99.9% job security. He is also still getting paid by Nebraska from what I understand.

Is it possible he would leave for this? Yes. Do I think he will? No.

The key to look at is what makes him want to leave. Currently the only thing is the desire to be a head coach. He isn't getting fired and he is making a head coaches salary. I also think he truly does like it here.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It isn't so much that he is going to get better offers even though I think he does. The key is he has to get an offer that he likes enough that he will leave. I don't believe Southern Miss is one of those schools. One key to look at is as long as he is here with Fred he has a 99.9% job security. He is also still getting paid by Nebraska from what I understand.

The key to look at is what makes him want to leave. Currently the only thing is the desire to be a head coach. He isn't getting fired and he is making a head coaches salary. I also think he truly does like it here.
He would get paid as much at So Miss as he would here, if not more in future years when the NU deal expires, and he would be a head coach in a region of the country he is from. It is really a no-brainer.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
He would get paid as much at So Miss as he would here, if not more in future years when the NU deal expires, and he would be a head coach in a region of the country he is from. It is really a no-brainer.
He learns from the best offensive mind in basketball which is his weak point. He will almost certainly be able to get similar jobs in the future. Is it very possible yes, but right now isn't the right time. It is a similar situation to Hoiberg. He is almost always going to have the opportunity it is really his choice if and when. Not as much so as Hoiberg but still similar.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
He learns from the best offensive mind in basketball which is his weak point. He will almost certainly be able to get similar jobs in the future. Is it very possible yes, but right now isn't the right time. It is a similar situation to Hoiberg. He is almost always going to have the opportunity it is really his choice if and when. Not as much so as Hoiberg but still similar.
I am sure Doc enjoys working with Hoiberg, but let's be real, when you are Doc's age and with his resume you do not pass up a head coaching job for such reasons. Timing is a huge reason why it makes sense. He is not getting any younger. The best way to have a better opportunity is to have success as a head coach and get rid of the stench of his tenure at NU ASAP.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I am sure Doc enjoys working with Hoiberg, but let's be real, when you are Doc's age and with his resume you do not pass up a head coaching job for such reasons. Timing is a huge reason why it makes sense. He is not getting any younger. The best way to have a better opportunity is to have success as a head coach and get rid of the stench of his tenure at NU ASAP.
I think the timing is exactly the opposite. He isn't going to get the bigger jobs anyway. He can get the jobs straight from Iowa State. I don't see that he needs to add to his resume other than becoming better at offense. That is what he is doing now.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Of course we have to be happy for the guy. He deserves a head coaching gig again. But, losing Doc would really hurt, imo. Thought we saw a much better defense this year.

I thought the defense was better too but it's hard to judge how much of it was coaching. Hogue and Kane were just more physical players than Clyburn and Lucious. They did have to make up for the loss of Babb though.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Really? He got fired about 5 years ago didn't he? I must be remembering things incorrectly, I don't think that a coach would get fired from a job that long ago and continue to be paid like that.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Really? He got fired about 5 years ago didn't he? I must be remembering things incorrectly, I don't think that a coach would get fired from a job that long ago and continue to be paid like that.
That's what others have said (justifying not giving him a raise). I honestly don't know.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I think the timing is exactly the opposite. He isn't going to get the bigger jobs anyway. He can get the jobs straight from Iowa State. I don't see that he needs to add to his resume other than becoming better at offense. That is what he is doing now.
If he is not going to get bigger jobs anyway, why would he not take the So Miss job now? I also disagree, if he takes So Miss to the NCAA in the next few years, he would get a shot at a bigger program. He needs success as a head coach more than years as an assistant to Fred (which you assume means becoming better at offense). Staying at ISU as he approaches makes jobs even like So Miss more unlikely. If his priority is to be a head coach again at some point, he likely takes the So Miss job is offered.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007

According to this ESPN article, he was fired in March 2012.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7666673

Here are some details.

Sadler last spring signed a contract extension through 2015-16 and his salary was $900,000 a year. His contract calls for him to be paid as much as $66,667 a month until he finds another job -- up to a total of $3.4 million.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Depends upon the situation...certainly both sides negotiated a settlement. Maybe NU offered to pay the entire contract but spread out the payments over a specific period of time. Happens...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Depends upon the situation...certainly both sides negotiated a settlement. Maybe NU offered to pay the entire contract but spread out the payments over a specific period of time. Happens...
My guess is they are paying the difference on his salary until May 2016. So if Doc makes $300k from us, UNL pays him the diff or $600k.

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
While I would like Doc to stick around, I would like to think if he did leave we would be a destination for some up and coming assistant.