Did I see a McD endorsement by JP on TV?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Talent is not the problem with this team. Not at all.

Ejim is a talent (incoming). Colvin is a talent. Gilstrap is a talent. Brackins is a talent.

The fact that he has talented players and two probably NBA players on his team is actually an indictment of his coaching ability when you consider that we are just a horrible, awful basketball team.

Well Brackins played extremely well last year. So what you are saying is that McD taught him to suck this year?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Doesn't matter how far removed a team is from the NCAA tournament. It was a mess when he came here, and it is still a mess, just like it was still a mess in Orr's fourth year. The big problem is we don't have a 2 guard. We need a guy that can come off a screen hard, hit a shot and is deadly from 3 point range, then he needs to be able to go down and defend the other teams guard. We don't have that and it isn't coming next year.

Until we get that really good off guard combined with a really good point guard it is going to be more of the same.

I call total BS on the highlighted statement.

I was there for year 4 under Orr and it was in no way a mess. We made our first post season in 40 plus years and had a very solid nucleus coming back for the next year...which ended up being the first NCAA Tourny team in 40 plus years.

This year 4 of the debacle that is GM's tenure is looking like another losing season finishing in the botton quartile of our conference with no post season play. Even more amazing is that it is highly likely that our two best players are gone (CB and MG) and somewhat likely that we will lose 1-3 others that have contributed (CC, LD, DB).

You can support GM all you want...that is your perogative. But have the effing balls to do it without trying to denigrate the best BB coach ISU has ever had by erroneously cutting him and the job he did down in a futile effort to somehow make the pathetic results GM has chalked up look better.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA

I was there for year 4 under Orr and it was in no way a mess. We made our first post season in 40 plus years and had a very solid nucleus coming back for the next year...which ended up being the first NCAA Tourny team in 40 plus years.

This year 4 of the debacle that is GM's tenure is looking like another losing season finishing in the botton quartile of our conference with no post season play. Even more amazing is that it is highly likely that our two best players are gone (CB and MG) and somewhat likely that we will lose 1-3 others that have contributed (CC, LD, DB).

You can support GM all you want...that is your perogative. But have the effing balls to do it without trying to denigrate the best BB coach ISU has ever had by erroneously cutting him and the job he did down in a futile effort to somehow make the pathetic results GM has chalked up look better.

and.......Orr's brand of baskteball was a helluva lot more fun to watch!!!!! The students that are at ISU right now have not witnessed good basketball at ISU, so I suppose supporting mediocrity is easier to do from that perspective.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Heck, in that case hire me as coach. Even I could suck for 4 years. And then JP could even compare me to JO.

BCPanther

Jul 13, 2009
Waterloo
If you think Jake is going to be there after another tourney appearance, you're on crack.

I may be on crack, but I think Jake is back for at least four more, IMO.

There is no way that Mac allows Doug to commit to UNI if he wasn't absolutely sure that Jake was going to be around. Jake's top assistant and successor if he were to leave, Kyle Green, and Mac do not get along. Green left Mac's staff at UNI to become a DII head coach because they didn't get along at all. There is no way Mac would encourage Doug's LOI to UNI if he thought there was any shot at having to play for Kyle Green.

Jake is a small town guy who seems to be really, really happy in the Cedar Valley. Also, there are ZERO attractive BCS jobs that will be open this year. DePaul? Pac-10? Jake isn't taking any of those.

Reactions: coachdags

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Boy, if what the OP is saying is true JP is really, I mean really grasping for straws now. Thats such a losers mentality to say, hey, someone else sucked, so clearly its ok for the current coach to suck as well. Fed up with this crap. Be accountable.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor

This may be the best post that I have ever read here or anywhere on the net!!!:notworthy:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Boy, if what the OP is saying is true JP is really, I mean really grasping for straws now. Thats such a losers mentality to say, hey, someone else sucked, so clearly its ok for the current coach to suck as well. Fed up with this crap. Be accountable.

When he fired WM and hired McD, didn't Pollard say something along the lines of he wanted someone to take the basketball program to the "next level" and that basketball was the "flagship program" of ISU (my words, not his, I'm paraphrasing).

Is this the next level he was talking about? If so, wow.....his statement, if true, is basically a rather transparent attempt to CYA in regards to the hire and it sounds like he just wants to buy himself more time. I give him credit for the areas he's done well in, but he deserves criticism when he doesn't do well.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
"Lol" at those calling for JP's head. How much bigger is our athletics budget today compared to when he took over? If we want to keep up in the world of college sports, we need those millions.

How was JP to know that things wouldn't work out with McD? He was considered a good hire by most at the time. Things just don't go the way everyone expects them to some times.

What do you expect JP to do right now? Hold a press conference discussing how much he thinks Mac sucks, and apologizing for not letting num1 make all the decisions at the AD?

I was nearly 100% confident GMac would be back next year, but every loss and every 1,000 empty seats makes it more and more likely he won't (and no, that doesn't give those of you who are dieing to see Mac fired the right to cheer against us and still be considered ISU fans).

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor

When he fired WM and hired McD, didn't Pollard say something along the lines of he wanted someone to take the basketball program to the "next level" and that basketball was the "flagship program" of ISU (my words, not his, I'm paraphrasing).

Is this the next level he was talking about? If so, wow.....his statement, if true, is basically a rather transparent attempt to CYA in regards to the hire and it sounds like he just wants to buy himself more time. I give him credit for the areas he's done well in, but he deserves criticism when he doesn't do well.

I think his track record of 2 for 5 in hiring coaches that are good and want to be here(Sanderson was good, but obviously didn't want to stay) sucks!!! I love CPR, and Jackson was a good hire for wrestling, but 2 of the other 3 have been downright awful!!! 40% will usually get you fired anywhere, unless you play baseball, then you're considered great. Maybe JP can bring back the baseball program to make himself look better.:jimlad:

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
I don't know the numbers, but the athletic budget isn't night and day larger then it was under BVD. I believe we were in the 29MM range under BVD, and we're only in the 36MM range now, and still last in the Big XII. KSU just passed us in the past month.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
During the latter stages of the game a segment was shown and discussed by the broadcasters comparing McD's first 3 years to Johnny Orr's first 3 and the point was emphasized with statistics to clearly show that McD actually has a better winning percentage after 3 years. They went on to say do not forget that Johnny is the winningest coach at ISU. I fo not doubt that this info was given to them by the Ath. Dept. in such a way as to suggest in case of a losing situation at the end of regulation that this info would make a "warm/fuzzy" for McD. I do not think that prior to the broadcast that they would have looked for info to go that route on their own. Why should they care what the Cyclone fan base cares about his career or the direction of the program? That is how I reacted to that segment immediately, anybody else feel that way? What's your take on that Chris Williams' you have done enough broadcasting to know how Ath Dept's and SID's disseminate info prior to the game. And I am 50/50 on McD, I am not sure if coaching is the issue or if the players are the issue.

Either way it is coaching. If it is the players then they were misrecruited or poorly coached.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
How many AD's get to hire 2 coaches from the three legend sports at a Div 1 University?

JP may just get the chance to hire two coaches each for FB, MBB and wrestling........and I can't say I can trust him after the deal he settled for GMc's contract.

I personally feel he pulled the trigger way too early on Morgan, and somewhat on McCarney.

JP has done a flat out **** poor job on most coaching moves. Luckily Auburn's AD saved his butt my taking Chiz off our hands and we ended up with Rhoads. The entire basketball mess is his responsibility, from the coaching change to the ridiculously incompetent 9-yr contract he managed to give Gmac.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
During the latter stages of the game a segment was shown and discussed by the broadcasters comparing McD's first 3 years to Johnny Orr's first 3 and the point was emphasized with statistics to clearly show that McD actually has a better winning percentage after 3 years. They went on to say do not forget that Johnny is the winningest coach at ISU. I fo not doubt that this info was given to them by the Ath. Dept. in such a way as to suggest in case of a losing situation at the end of regulation that this info would make a "warm/fuzzy" for McD. I do not think that prior to the broadcast that they would have looked for info to go that route on their own. Why should they care what the Cyclone fan base cares about his career or the direction of the program? That is how I reacted to that segment immediately, anybody else feel that way? What's your take on that Chris Williams' you have done enough broadcasting to know how Ath Dept's and SID's disseminate info prior to the game. And I am 50/50 on McD, I am not sure if coaching is the issue or if the players are the issue.

Sounds similar to sale of healthcare....:confused:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Thank you. Some need the dose of reality.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I agree that mac is not coaching very well right now but, I think bigger problems are Recruiting and Retention of said recruits.

Until McDermott fixes those problems the chances of escaping 10th place are good.

The only way McD is going is to 11th or 12th place. His teams are just as bad now as they were when he came, and he has better players.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

McD may end up with his worse year

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
During the latter stages of the game a segment was shown and discussed by the broadcasters comparing McD's first 3 years to Johnny Orr's first 3 and the point was emphasized with statistics to clearly show that McD actually has a better winning percentage after 3 years. They went on to say do not forget that Johnny is the winningest coach at ISU.

I don't know for a fact, but I would imagine the SID did feed the information to the announcers. After all, there are plenty of people not very happy with Pollard's hire and the idiotic contract he gave him, so it is CYA time.

It is such a bogus argument though. The records in the first 4 years are Orr 48-63. 18-38 in conference. GMac 47-65 and 16-44 in conference. Part of the reason it is bogus is that teams are now allowed to play 32 games per year outside of the NCAA, NIT, or CBI tourneys. In Orr's time the limit was 28. As far as conference goes, Orr was in the Big 8 with 14 games per year. ISU now plays 16 conference games per year.

But the more telling thing is who Orr played and who GMac has played in non-conference. Here is a partial list of some of the non-conference teams Orr's teams played in the first 4 years alone. The number in parentheses is the number of times those schools were played in the first four years.

Vanderbilt, Creighton (3), Texas (2), TCU, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, Minnesota (2), Arizona (2), Penn State, Illinois, Boston College, Marquette, Indiana (yes Bobby K's Indiana, at Hilton no less) , Virginia Tech, Washington, Arkansas, Cornell, Ohio State.

Compare that list to the hyphenated schools GMac has played. Orr was able to get these schools scheduled because of his popularity and reputation with the other coaches.

Also, Orr took over a program that was absolutely in the toilet after several years of Ken Trickey and Lynn Nance. GMac did not take over a program that was in nearly the same condition.

Like I said....it is a totally bogus comparison.

Reactions: yCy

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
"Lol" at those calling for JP's head. How much bigger is our athletics budget today compared to when he took over? If we want to keep up in the world of college sports, we need those millions.

How was JP to know that things wouldn't work out with McD? He was considered a good hire by most at the time. Things just don't go the way everyone expects them to some times.

What do you expect JP to do right now? Hold a press conference discussing how much he thinks Mac sucks, and apologizing for not letting num1 make all the decisions at the AD?

I was nearly 100% confident GMac would be back next year, but every loss and every 1,000 empty seats makes it more and more likely he won't (and no, that doesn't give those of you who are dieing to see Mac fired the right to cheer against us and still be considered ISU fans).

His basketball hire is costing us millions and we're not winning.

It's his job to know if McD is the guy or not. The fact that he never won a conference championship could've been a hint that he didn't match the hype.

Everyone on here who fawns over Pollard always says, "We all thought it was a good hire at the time..." as if this somehow vindicates him for his horrible hires.

If that's the way we're gonna do it, why don't we just have the fans vote on who the next coach should be. We'll save the $$ on an AD and hire a firm to negotiate the contract, cuz lord knows, Jamie ain't good at it.

Jamie can save us a lot of $$ if he quits.

Reactions: ajk4st8