Did I see a McD endorsement by JP on TV?

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
During the latter stages of the game a segment was shown and discussed by the broadcasters comparing McD's first 3 years to Johnny Orr's first 3 and the point was emphasized with statistics to clearly show that McD actually has a better winning percentage after 3 years. They went on to say do not forget that Johnny is the winningest coach at ISU. I fo not doubt that this info was given to them by the Ath. Dept. in such a way as to suggest in case of a losing situation at the end of regulation that this info would make a "warm/fuzzy" for McD. I do not think that prior to the broadcast that they would have looked for info to go that route on their own. Why should they care what the Cyclone fan base cares about his career or the direction of the program? That is how I reacted to that segment immediately, anybody else feel that way? What's your take on that Chris Williams' you have done enough broadcasting to know how Ath Dept's and SID's disseminate info prior to the game. And I am 50/50 on McD, I am not sure if coaching is the issue or if the players are the issue.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
During the latter stages of the game a segment was shown and discussed by the broadcasters comparing McD's first 3 years to Johnny Orr's first 3 and the point was emphasized with statistics to clearly show that McD actually has a better winning percentage after 3 years. They went on to say do not forget that Johnny is the winningest coach at ISU. I fo not doubt that this info was given to them by the Ath. Dept. in such a way as to suggest in case of a losing situation at the end of regulation that this info would make a "warm/fuzzy" for McD. I do not think that prior to the broadcast that they would have looked for info to go that route on their own. Why should they care what the Cyclone fan base cares about his career or the direction of the program? That is how I reacted to that segment immediately, anybody else feel that way? What's your take on that Chris Williams' you have done enough broadcasting to know how Ath Dept's and SID's disseminate info prior to the game. And I am 50/50 on McD, I am not sure if coaching is the issue or if the players are the issue.
It's both, the guys are making the same stupid mistakes game in and game out, and the coaching staff isn't addressing those mistakes, or if they are, they are not getting through to them.

BCPanther

Jul 13, 2009
Waterloo
Mac had hit his ceiling in his last two years in Cedar Falls. Guy went control freak in the last eight minutes against Wisconsin and Georgetown and UNI didn't get it done.

The guy would be a phenomenal coach for a building mid-major that is just happy to get to the tournament every once in a while. He doesn't know how to teach or recruit guards, and he is never going to get great talent to come play his system, it is what it is.

We are glad you took him off our hands. We feel pretty good about where Jake is taking the program.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Good... JP is gone too then. This is just a joke, the guy cannot coach his way out of a wet paper bag. He is horrible.

I agree that mac is not coaching very well right now but, I think bigger problems are Recruiting and Retention of said recruits.

Until McDermott fixes those problems the chances of escaping 10th place are good.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I laughed when they made this comparison. Orr walked into a much lower program, while McDermott walked into a program that was one year separated from an NCAA tournament.

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
and he is never going to get great talent to come play his system, it is what it is.

Talent is not the problem with this team. Not at all.

Ejim is a talent (incoming). Colvin is a talent. Gilstrap is a talent. Brackins is a talent.

The fact that he has talented players and two probably NBA players on his team is actually an indictment of his coaching ability when you consider that we are just a horrible, awful basketball team.

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
If it weren't for Rhoads, JP's seat would be getting awfully warm...

That shouldn't keep his *** from being on fire right now.

His coaching selections have all been a gigantic FAIL to this point, with the exception of one and that one remains to be seen.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

How many AD's get to hire 2 coaches from the three legend sports at a Div 1 University?

JP may just get the chance to hire two coaches each for FB, MBB and wrestling........and I can't say I can trust him after the deal he settled for GMc's contract.

I personally feel he pulled the trigger way too early on Morgan, and somewhat on McCarney.

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
BTW, Iowa still has more conference wins than us and if not for a meltdown against Michigan, they would've doubled us up.

One of the teams they beat in NW, we lost to.

Iowa is quite possibly the least talented team in the history of any type of sport at any level, yet they grind and grind and grind. It ain't pretty, but no one said it had to be. I've actually been watching them play quite a bit and although their best player is average, they are actually fun to watch because they try so damn hard.

It's like rooting for US vs the Russians in hockey.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Hindsight is a great thing. Name one coaching move he's made that when it was announced, you were disappointed with. Chizik, Sanderson, and McD didn't pan out, but they were considered good moves at the time. You can't fault him hiring Jackson or Rhoads, but if he keeps McDermott on too long, basketball will be his downfall.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Doesn't matter how far removed a team is from the NCAA tournament. It was a mess when he came here, and it is still a mess, just like it was still a mess in Orr's fourth year. The big problem is we don't have a 2 guard. We need a guy that can come off a screen hard, hit a shot and is deadly from 3 point range, then he needs to be able to go down and defend the other teams guard. We don't have that and it isn't coming next year.

Until we get that really good off guard combined with a really good point guard it is going to be more of the same.

Reactions: usedcarguy

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
BTW, Iowa still has more conference wins than us and if not for a meltdown against Michigan, they would've doubled us up.

One of the teams they beat in NW, we lost to.

Iowa is quite possibly the least talented team in the history of any type of sport at any level, yet they grind and grind and grind. .

They'll still be mediocre next year,,,,,and will beat us.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Too bad using the comparisons of the first three years are a year late at this point...we are just about done with year four.

I remember plenty of those last year...comparisons to JO and comparisons to Coach K. They were ridiculous a year ago and are borderline insane this year.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
Talent is not the problem with this team. Not at all.

Ejim is a talent (incoming). Colvin is a talent. Gilstrap is a talent. Brackins is a talent.

The fact that he has talented players and two probably NBA players on his team is actually an indictment of his coaching ability when you consider that we are just a horrible, awful basketball team.

I'm not sold on either being NBA talent. Gilstrap is terrible at dribbling into trouble with his head down, out of control, turning it over and Brackinsis soft and can't play with his back to the basket, he forces shots and his best attack is a fade away jumper....for a 6'9" PF. I don't call that talent. Overhyped, maybe.

When the commentator said we needed to go through our horse, Brackins, under a minute, he got the ball and threw up a 19' jumper that barely grazed the front of the rim....NBA baby!!!

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
Hindsight is a great thing. Name one coaching move he's made that when it was announced, you were disappointed with. Chizik, Sanderson, and McD didn't pan out, but they were considered good moves at the time. You can't fault him hiring Jackson or Rhoads, but if he keeps McDermott on too long, basketball will be his downfall.

This is the worst argument in the history of arguments.

It's Jamie's job to hire coaches that WANT to be here. He didn't do that in 2 out of the 3 you mentioned. Whether I liked the hire or not is not relevant. How it worked out is relevant.

Getting the hot hire is exactly what got him into trouble with Chizik. He was so intent on pumping his own ego to Cyclone fans, that he made a hire that you knew wouldn't last. For cripes sake, you could tell from the initial pep rally that his heart wasn't here. It's Jamie's job to figure that out before hand during the interview process.

With Mac, I think he wanted to hire him before Iowa had the chance because again, that's who the fans wanted. Guess what Jamie, we fans are idiots and just because we applaud a move, doesn't mean it's the right one. It's your job to make the right one. Now, we've got Mac and he sucks. Good thing you kept Iowa from getting him.

He acted with his ego and we're paying for it.

Reactions: tim_redd

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Mac had hit his ceiling in his last two years in Cedar Falls. Guy went control freak in the last eight minutes against Wisconsin and Georgetown and UNI didn't get it done.

The guy would be a phenomenal coach for a building mid-major that is just happy to get to the tournament every once in a while. He doesn't know how to teach or recruit guards, and he is never going to get great talent to come play his system, it is what it is.

We are glad you took him off our hands. We feel pretty good about where Jake is taking the program.

If you think Jake is going to be there after another tourney appearance, you're on crack.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron