Did I see a McD endorsement by JP on TV?

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I laughed when they made this comparison. Orr walked into a much lower program, while McDermott walked into a program that was one year separated from an NCAA tournament.

Exactly. Orr started with nada.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
His basketball hire is costing us millions and we're not winning.

It's his job to know if McD is the guy or not. The fact that he never won a conference championship could've been a hint that he didn't match the hype.

Everyone on here who fawns over Pollard always says, "We all thought it was a good hire at the time..." as if this somehow vindicates him for his horrible hires.

If that's the way we're gonna do it, why don't we just have the fans vote on who the next coach should be. We'll save the $$ on an AD and hire a firm to negotiate the contract, cuz lord knows, Jamie ain't good at it.

Jamie can save us a lot of $$ if he quits.

He has made one move proven not to work. That's a fact. You cannot say Chizik wouldn't have succeeded and sure as hell cannot say Cael wouldn't have succeeded. He has also increased our Athletic budget by over 25 percent in 5 years. How about the numerous facility improvements and additions? Do you have anything beside the Mac hire so support your idea? You post a lot on here with no factual basis so I would bet not.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Smith>Pollard>BVD - this is my view, apparently others agreed on the Smith, we'll see what others think on Pollard.

If they are favorable, he likely gets his next gig inside of 2 years. I doubt he is going to want to stick out the transformation of the super conferences with the prospects of ISU losing ground financially or prestige as a conference. Before you bash me, I have no information whatsoever, I just thought it might be more fun to speculate about an AD leaving more so than players leaving.

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
He has made one move proven not to work. That's a fact. You cannot say Chizik wouldn't have succeeded and sure as hell cannot say Cael wouldn't have succeeded. He has also increased our Athletic budget by over 25 percent in 5 years. How about the numerous facility improvements and additions? Do you have anything beside the Mac hire so support your idea? You post a lot on here with no factual basis so I would bet not.

Wow, I'll try to explain this to you so you can understand it, although I doubt I'm up to the task.

Cael and Chizik did not "work", as you put it. If you think the Chizik hire worked and the Cael hire worked, I really don't know what to say because I doubt I can get thorugh to you.

Part of the hiring process involves determining how loyal they will be to you. Will they stick with you through thick and thin or will they bail when the first decent offer comes along.

What we essentially did was rent a coach.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Some of you lack both heart and mental capacity. Bad situations happen to good people/coaches. Everyone was critical of Chizik while he was here the last year and when he got to Auburn they did really well. As for the style of play, I had a hell of a time watching us earlier in the season when we had more depth and were healthy.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Wow, I'll try to explain this to you so you can understand it, although I doubt I'm up to the task.

Cael and Chizik did not "work", as you put it. If you think the Chizik hire worked and the Cael hire worked, I really don't know what to say because I doubt I can get thorugh to you.

Part of the hiring process involves determining how loyal they will be to you. Will they stick with you through thick and thin or will they bail when the first decent offer comes along.

Did their hiring and leaving hurt the program? I doubt it. Our football team just won a bowl game one year removed from Chizik and our Wrestling team has been doing very well this year and is exciting to watch. In terms of success of hiring, given the FACTS of the programs when they left and the quality sustained after they left you can not say that their tenure and eventual departure from ISU is in any way a failure in terms of the coach or the AD. In fact, I would argue they (Cael and Chiz) both helped the programs by invigorating the fan base and recruiting quality players/wrestlers which WERE LOYAL TO THE PROGRAM. Neither coach took players with them, excepting Cylar (can you blame him?). They both left the program in better condition than their arrival.

Last edited:

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
Did their hiring and leaving hurt the program? I doubt it. Our football team just won a bowl game one year removed from Chizik and our Wrestling team has been doing very well this year and is exciting to watch. In terms of success of hiring, given the FACTS of the programs when they left and the quality sustained after they left you can not say that their tenure and eventual departure from ISU is in any way a failure in terms of the coach or the AD. In fact, I would argue they (Cael and Chiz) both helped the programs by invigorating the fan base and recruiting quality players/wrestlers which WERE LOYAL TO THE PROGRAM. Neither coach took players with them, excepting Cylar (can you blame him?). They both left the program in better condition than their arrival.
:biglaugh:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Talent is not the problem with this team. Not at all.

Ejim is a talent (incoming). Colvin is a talent. Gilstrap is a talent. Brackins is a talent.

The fact that he has talented players and two probably NBA players on his team is actually an indictment of his coaching ability when you consider that we are just a horrible, awful basketball team.

Or proof of just how important quality guard play is.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
:biglaugh:

Wow, that response was enlightening to say the least. Way to show your intellectual prowess in the field of debate. I am honored to have had the opportunity to read your thoughts and ideas. +1:notworthy:

I know you think I'm stupid, but at least put some effort into it. I put some effort into responding to your post and you can't even show me enough respect to do the same.

Edit to the mods: if any of this is out of line in terms of board rules, I apologize in advance.

Last edited:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
That shouldn't keep his *** from being on fire right now.

His coaching selections have all been a gigantic FAIL to this point, with the exception of one and that one remains to be seen.

Really? How much of an improvement was Cael over Bobby? Tell me who he could have hired that would do any better than Kevin Jackson? I guess Christy Johnson sucks *** too. I'll give you the Chiz even though it was considered a HUGE hire at the time.

Overall, our athletic department as a whole has never been more successful.

Your post is a GIANT FAIL.

Reactions: gwoodclone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Coaches move on that is how it works. You go get the best guy for the job at the time. If he does well enough or someone wants him enough to leave then well that's fine. I still think Chizik would have worked. He undoubtedly increased the talent level in the two years he was here. Are you seriously going to judge a coach off their first two years at a school that has historically been the perennial doormat of the big 12? You really have no credibility if you are. As far as Cael, that was a no brainer. Had he not hired him people would have been up in arms. Did he leave? Yes, but that has nothing to do with JP. If PSU wants our coaches I would credit that hire. I dream of one day having the big boys coming after our coaches. In hindsight, yes, hiring those two may not have been the best move but all he could do was make the decision at the time. I am sure if he could go back, when he was younger he would have hired Urban Meyer straight out of high school along with Tom Izzo. That is on the same level of ridiculous as your points.

Also, how do you determine how loyal they will be to you? Of course they are going to say they want to be there. It would be asinine to think an AD can evaluate loyalty in today's coaching world.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

The Gene thing worked. It bought time so we could line up CPR.

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
Wow, that response was enlightening to say the least. Way to show your intellectual prowess in the field of debate. I am honored to have had the opportunity to read your thoughts and ideas. +1:notworthy:

The whole thing is laughable to me. You are laughable to me.

Of course it hurt the program. It showed our irrelevance and that our AD is a bumbling fool and that Chiz played him like one. I'm 99.9% sure that Auburn told Chiz to get some head coaching experience...don't care where...don't care how you do. Just get it on the resume. We'll bail you out of there when the timing is right.

I think the way it worked out is exactly what Jamie had in mind when he hired Chiz and he should be applauded for finding such a good fit for the University. HOT NAME!!!!!

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
This is the worst argument in the history of arguments.

It's Jamie's job to hire coaches that WANT to be here. He didn't do that in 2 out of the 3 you mentioned. Whether I liked the hire or not is not relevant. How it worked out is relevant.

Getting the hot hire is exactly what got him into trouble with Chizik. He was so intent on pumping his own ego to Cyclone fans, that he made a hire that you knew wouldn't last. For cripes sake, you could tell from the initial pep rally that his heart wasn't here. It's Jamie's job to figure that out before hand during the interview process.

With Mac, I think he wanted to hire him before Iowa had the chance because again, that's who the fans wanted. Guess what Jamie, we fans are idiots and just because we applaud a move, doesn't mean it's the right one. It's your job to make the right one. Now, we've got Mac and he sucks. Good thing you kept Iowa from getting him.

He acted with his ego and we're paying for it.

Those guys wanted to be here. Pollard thought he had no chance with Chiz only to find out that Chiz really wanted the job. What went wrong with that hire is that Gene thought his talent was more important than that of his players. He went back south with his tail between his legs. And Cael? How the hell could you imagine that one of your own wouldn't want to be here?

You're one of those people who give message boards a bad name.

Reactions: Tre4ISU

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Jamie's hires

Chizik- putting the 'and wants to be here' thing is a great thing to do in hindsight. But its BS to put there as a qualification we were looking for. We had a guy who wanted to be here before Chizik and we fired him. Im pretty sure almost all of us knew that he would head to better things eventually, but we hoped that in order to do that he would have to take us up a level to get that 'promotion'. By some miracle, he went 5-19 and got hired. He was a top rated coaching prospect when we hired him, and did good with recruiting. Ultimately, glad we have Rhoads as he's a much better fit, but i will not call this hire a failure on JP's part. Not a great success, but not an abysmal failure either
Rhoads- Its only been one year, but so far, this hire just might be a home run for ISU.
Mcdermott- All signs point to failure here, but would most have predicted it? It looked like the smart choice at the time. The biggest failure here is the contract extension. BIG failure.
Sanderson- Sure, he left for 'greener pastures'. On the other hand, if we hadnt hired him. how many of you JP bashers been all over him for not holding onto our best talent ever, especially if he had success wherever he went.
Jackson- Looks positive so far, though i admittedly dont follow wrestling that much.

Other: Christy Johnson. He didnt hire her, but you can't deny he's been able to hold onto her, with a lot of rumors that some pretty big name programs have made runs at her. I hope we can hold onto her forever.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The whole thing is laughable to me. You are laughable to me.

Of course it hurt the program. It showed our irrelevance and that our AD is a bumbling fool and that Chiz played him like one. I'm 99.9% sure that Auburn told Chiz to get some head coaching experience...don't care where...don't care how you do. Just get it on the resume. We'll bail you out of there when the timing is right.

I think the way it worked out is exactly what Jamie had in mind when he hired Chiz and he should be applauded for finding such a good fit for the University. HOT NAME!!!!!

In what way did it hurt the program?