Dahl's in trouble?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
jUST BECAUSE WALMART ADMITS TO PERPETUATING A NOTORIOUS FALSEHOOD ABOUT WHERE THE MILK IS LOCATED SHOWS THAT INDIVIDUAL DOESN'T UNDERSTAND A STORE LAYOUT EITHER. Look at the size of the products in the dairy section and the limited packout compared to other can goods and such. The volume requirements for milk packout demands and adequate cooler inventory space require that they be on the outer edges of the store layout. Any store engineer could tell you that but if you want to keep your head in the sand about this, go right ahead. Most store layouts are exactly lke I described earlier and PROBABLY WILL NEVER CHANGE.

Groceries: serious business

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
That angry post about store layout is great, but there are small coolers by the checkout at every Dahls filled with soda and energy drinks, and the frozen food is in the middle of the store. There is even an end of an aisle filled with frozen pizzas right by the checkout.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Store layouts have changed over the years and continue to change. I did the original layout for food stores for 27 years and went through a number of designs. Many factors go into the design so they will continue to change over the next cycle of new stores.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Kind of surprising that there is a buyer. I think this group has been in Des Moines before and failed.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Well hopefully the new buyer means people mostly keep their jobs. The ground-level employees shouldn't suffer just because the corporate people ran a ****** grocery store chain.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Kind of surprising that there is a buyer. I think this group has been in Des Moines before and failed.

I think its been on this path for awhile. Dahls closed many of the underperforming stores but didnt have the money to maximize the current ones, now a new operator can come in and run with successful store locations without having to come in and immediately take a hit for closing stores\firing people. There were people saying they were hearing this buyout was in the works many months ago.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've never been to Dahl's before. Sounds like I haven't missed much

Not really. Although I think the individual stores vary quite a bit. I live near the one on 50th in WDM. It is a dump and I really wish it would close and Fareway would take it over.

The one on Ingersoll is pretty nice. Dahl's downfall was probably trying to expand too much.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
When the Dahls in Ames was open, it was so overpriced, I can't believe it stayed open as long as it did. Unless they do something about their pricing structure, no outside investor will accomplish much. If they have to charge $1-2 more for products you can get at any other grocery store, they have no business being in business.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I really don't know how anyone could come into Des Moines at this point and be successful.

Hy-Vee and Whole Foods have the high end market.

Fareways are usually dumps but they are low priced and have a good reputation

Wal-Mart and Aldi's has the low end market.

It would have been nice to see someone like Fareway make a big move and buy these stores but I can't see them ever making a big move.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I really don't know how anyone could come into Des Moines at this point and be successful.

Hy-Vee and Whole Foods have the high end market.

Fareways are usually dumps but they are low priced and have a good reputation

Wal-Mart and Aldi's has the low end market.

It would have been nice to see someone like Fareway make a big move and buy these stores but I can't see them ever making a big move.

Dahl's had some good locations locked down, I could see someone else coming in and making it work there. Dahl's problem was that they never figured out who they were. They had the reputation of being a pricier, wannabe high end option, but the stores just felt low end when you walked in and they never had the selection to back that up.