Dahl's in trouble?

ZombieCyclone

Sep 4, 2010
Wegmans is incredible. Imagine a hipster HyVee that is twice as large (as HyVee's largest) with a fresh food area (meat, deli, fish, bakery, etc) where you can also have them cook the food to order for you so you can just eat it there. Basically any food for sale in the store can be cooked and eaten there.

Fixed it for you hipster

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wegmans is incredible. Imagine a hipster HyVee that is twice as large (as HyVee's largest) with a fresh food area (meat, deli, fish, bakery, etc) where you can also have them cook the food to order for you so you can just eat it there. Basically any food for sale in the store can be cooked and ate there.

I'll back you up on Wegmans. I was in upstate New York for work, once upon a time, and I asked the people I'd gone up there to see what I should do while I was there. They suggested several things including "You need to go to Wegmans to eat some night." I asked them what it was, and they said "a grocery store." I thought that was really odd, but they assured me it was worth checking out. While, I'm not going to say it was the best food I've ever had, it was a damned impressive store.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Having lived in Iowa, New York, Florida, and now California, we've hit pretty much all of the chains mentioned.

I would place Publix more on par with HyVee. Both are solid store chains if a bit high with standard pricing. Here in California, the usual chains are uninspiring.

In New York, the smaller/older Wegmans aren't much to talk about. The one closest to us was a bad explosion of '70s mustard and brown. However, the second closest was the flagship Wegmans of the entire chain. Now that place was crazy. The prepared food side was like being in the EPCOT theme park. Very visually kinetic.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Well Jeff Woody shops at Fareway, good enough for me. Just saw him walking out as we were heading in. :) I've also talked to Coach Fennelley there and have seen Jeff Johnson there.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Having lived in Iowa, New York, Florida, and now California, we've hit pretty much all of the chains mentioned.

I would place Publix more on par with HyVee. Both are solid store chains if a bit high with standard pricing. Here in California, the usual chains are uninspiring.

In New York, the smaller/older Wegmans aren't much to talk about. The one closest to us was a bad explosion of '70s mustard and brown. However, the second closest was the flagship Wegmans of the entire chain. Now that place was crazy. The prepared food side was like being in the EPCOT theme park. Very visually kinetic.

When we visited my son when in college in Cali, shocked at food prices at all stores, they pretty much forced you to get their store cards He is in Florida now, has a Publix down the street, I like it much better than our small town Hy Vee, prices do not seem as hideous at Publix.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and the National Football League. Jeopardy answer.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Not even sure why I'm engaging in this since I don't care but I will leave this article with these two quotes in it.

Long walk a strategy for stores to milk sales | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

jUST BECAUSE WALMART ADMITS TO PERPETUATING A NOTORIOUS FALSEHOOD ABOUT WHERE THE MILK IS LOCATED SHOWS THAT INDIVIDUAL DOESN'T UNDERSTAND A STORE LAYOUT EITHER. Look at the size of the products in the dairy section and the limited packout compared to other can goods and such. The volume requirements for milk packout demands and adequate cooler inventory space require that they be on the outer edges of the store layout. Any store engineer could tell you that but if you want to keep your head in the sand about this, go right ahead. Most store layouts are exactly lke I described earlier and PROBABLY WILL NEVER CHANGE.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Just to set the record straight, it was Ron Pearson who started the big change (Drake grad) and it is Ric Jurgens not Rich.
You're right, its Ric but I never said he started the new educatron kick, but that he was part of the change. Remembering that Ric graduated around 1971, and he was a part timer at HyVee #1 on Sheldon in Ames during his yrs at ISU, then joined fulltime with HyVee after graduating. Before that, few employees were college grads as I recall, just worked their way up the ladder.

On another note Ron Pearson was responsible for running off a great number of Hy
Vee Ast. Mgrs in mid 80's when new store growth slowed and he squeezed existing stores for more profit, making current Ast Mgrs work more than normal hrs on salary. Then saw many former HyVee Ast. Mgrs then join food brokers and saw them at Midwest food shows and all told me the same story. Overwork and no opportunities for advancement back then. We used to laugh at the HyVEE COMMERCIALS SHOWNG RON PEARSON. If you looked closely you could see him fingering his diamond ring as he made the commercial.

Last edited:

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
There's a snipet in the Civic Skinny on Dahl's.

http://www.dmcityview.com/civic-ski...ce-hill-agency-and-mansions-friends-squabble/

What’s going on at Dahl’s? The shelves aren’t as packed as they were, some distributors are grumbling that the company is slow in paying and some customer services have been eliminated. One big supplier told Cityview he expected Dahl’s to make “some kind of announcement†any day.

Last year, the company sold the real-estate of three stores — the ones on Ingersoll, Beaver and Fleur — for around $20 million, and in mid-2011 it changed suppliers, dropping Supervalu and going with Associated Wholesale Grocers of Kansas City, Kan. Among the rumors is one that Price Choppers, an AWG-affiliated chain in Missouri and Kansas, is going to take over Dahl’s and change to the Price Choppers name

Saw this on Price Choppers Facebook page, identical to what Dahl's has. Coincidence or something else? A change to Price Chopper would allow current Dahl's customers to keep their QT fuel saver cards.

Buy GROCERIES-Save on GAS! We are excited to offer you a discount on gas at area Kansas City Metro Area QuikTrips with a qualifying purchase of $50.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Price Chopper has been doing this in KC for at least a year now, probably more, so I don't know that I would read much into that. They don't have their own fuel stations like Hy-Vee and Wal-Mart do, so such a partnership was probably an inevitable thing that needed to be done to stay competitive.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I see 'price chopper' and think:

[video=youtube;wE0s31IODJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE0s31IODJA[/video]

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Price Chopper has been doing this in KC for at least a year now, probably more, so I don't know that I would read much into that. They don't have their own fuel stations like Hy-Vee and Wal-Mart do, so such a partnership was probably an inevitable thing that needed to be done to stay competitive.

Also... with both sharing the same supplier, is it possible the fuel saver program they have is actually one managed by the supplier and just branded for the individual stores?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just a matter of time before Krogers buys them out after AWG of KC bought them out. Mom and Pop chains are disappearing.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I find it hard to support Fareway and their promotion of cannibalism.
I don't believe that the most important ingredient for any recipe is family. I do believe that is just plain wrong.
People are for knowing, not for eating.
I grocery shop pretty much solely on sunday so... I never go to fareway.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
When your grocery store has more cars parked in the back of the parking lot, than the front of the parking lot, you know the future is not bright.