Dahl's in trouble?

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Cub Foods sucks. Hy-Vee can't get to the Twin Cities fast enough.

I really admire how successful Hy-Vee has been with their expansions...they're dominating Iowa, are doing so in the Kansas City metro, and will easily do very well in the Twin Cities.

Hy-Vee will fill that "not as ghetto as Rainbow but not as upscale as Lund's/Byerly's" niche.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I really admire how successful Hy-Vee has been with their expansions...they're dominating Iowa, are doing so in the Kansas City metro, and will easily do very well in the Twin Cities.

Hy-Vee will fill that "not as ghetto as Rainbow but not as upscale as Lund's/Byerly's" niche.
Their people are trained to be more friendly than other stores like No Frills, Bakers, Piggly Wiggly, Randalls, Super Valu, Cubs, Aldis, Fareway, WalMart. You pay for friendly.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Their people are trained to be more friendly than other stores like No Frills, Bakers, Piggly Wiggly, Randalls, Super Valu, Cubs, Aldis, Fareway, WalMart. You pay for friendly.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more that goes into running a successful grocery store chain than just hiring helpful smiles in every aisle

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
From what I've seen, Fareway is similar to Hy-Vee when it comes to customer service. It cost no more to train employees the right way. I think HyVee is successful for a few reasons.

#1 Most employees in Iowa have been brought up shopping at HV so they've seen it first hand their whole life. Some of the newer markets don't have this advantage.

#2 I never met a HyVee manager that didn't get in their position in any way but working their way up through the HV ranks. I've never met a store Manager that got hired from another chain. When they open up in new markets those managers will come from other HV's.

#3 Management leads by example. I went through management training and you wouldn't believe the amount of work some of these department managers do every week. Some of these department managements make really good money for retail but they are still underpaid for how hard they work.

#4 Employees buy into the whole employee owned concept. They would be idiots to ever move away from this model. Publix's supermarket in the south has a similar model and is very successful.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If you aren't in "need" of a brand name item, Aldi is often drastically cheaper than Hy-Vee. We shop at both ... Aldi for the planned trips, Hy-Vee because it's close to the house for the "one or two items" pick up.

For example, fresh fruit -- Aldi might be $1.20 per pound for a certain fruit where Hy-Vee is $3.00 per pound for the same item. An extreme example, yes, but an apt one.

We buy frequently from Aldi and have always been happy with their products. I am a little leery on their produce though. It's not bad, its just that it always seems more ripe or over ripe.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I have to admit that I haven't been to a new one. The last one I went to looked like a grocery store from the 50's. The prices seemed to be good but it had short ceilings, small selection, outdated displays, dark, etc. It reminded me of a fancy Aldi's.

Are the new ones a lot different?

They are no HyVee, but I have never went away thinking they are a dump or dirty. Yes they are smaller stores and don't have the selection of HyVee, but you also wont get lost in one like you can a HyVee.