Carlos O'Kellys is Closing!

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This. Haven't eaten in the one at Waterloo for quite a while because of that. Used to be one of my favorite places, but I found a small family run place that has some of the best food I've ever eaten. Surprisingly some of their seafood is my favorite thing about the place.

Amigos or Chapala??

Love me some Amigos...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
When did Pita Pit close?

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
In addition to El Azteca being good, Cazador in west Ames seems to be greatly improved since re-opening.

I went to Cazador for lunch a month back.... Disgusting crap they serve there. I ordered a beef burrito with rice and beans. The burrito had a tomato type sauce on it very similar to spaghetti o sauce. Rice was extremely soggy and tasted like HyVee brand, and the beans weren't really heated up.

Yup that's great stuff there. The two others I had there for lunch thought the same thing.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
In Ames, I like El Azteca and La Fuente. I prefer Azteca but will go to either.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It seems that sit-down chains are really struggling nationally (with the exception of a few places), and I think a lot of it is a general trend that if people are going to go out for dinner, and sit down, and have that experience, they want something that's a little more interesting or unique to where they are.

I think fast-food chains are doing better than ever though, and I think again, it has to do with the mindset you take before going after one of those kinds of meals. When you want a meal quick, that you're probably taking to go, you want something where you know what you're getting, know it's going to be consistent (especially if travelling in a strange place), and will be made to a certain standard (which may not be that high, but will be consistent).

In summation, I'm not at all surprised that Carols O'Kellys is struggling. The food was never that good, and their theme is no longer unique or interesting.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I haven't been to El Azteca in years, but I always preferred La Fuente, by a considerable margin. I don't know how to describe it, but El Azteca seemed a little bland and indistinguishable from other Mexican restaurants. Just seemed like La Fuente just had better food.

Could be that I was always drunk by the time my meal showed up at La Fuente too.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Some good news is that it appears someone else is already interested in the building in WDM. WDM P&Z minutes show the owner wanting to be allowed to put a drive thru pick-up window onto the building for call ahead orders.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It seems that sit-down chains are really struggling nationally (with the exception of a few places), and I think a lot of it is a general trend that if people are going to go out for dinner, and sit down, and have that experience, they want something that's a little more interesting or unique to where they are.

I think fast-food chains are doing better than ever though, and I think again, it has to do with the mindset you take before going after one of those kinds of meals. When you want a meal quick, that you're probably taking to go, you want something where you know what you're getting, know it's going to be consistent (especially if travelling in a strange place), and will be made to a certain standard (which may not be that high, but will be consistent).

In summation, I'm not at all surprised that Carols O'Kellys is struggling. The food was never that good, and their theme is no longer unique or interesting.

I think the economy slow down caused a lot of people to eat out less. When I moved back to the area 10 years ago, it seemed no matter what day of the week from 5 to 9 restaurants were packed. The last few years that isn't the case.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I think we're just finding better local options than chains like Carlos O Kelly's. Just take a look at the BBQ places in Des Moines. Places like Jethros and Smokey D's are always packed regardless of location.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The Food Network and food shows from other channels probably play a big role in chain struggles,since they stress local business/small shops so abundantly.
When people see food on TV, the chain places aren't what they're seeing, and people are seeing some pretty amazing food choices out there.