Carlos O'Kellys is Closing!

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Does anyone know the name of this taco truck on SE 14th St in Des Moines? Its on a dirt parking lot across the street from a run down convenience store that sells awful fried chicken. I searched through the inspectors website but couldn't find anything, and the convenience store isn't showing up on google maps or street view:

Unnamed Taco on SE 14th St Des Moines, Iowa by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr

Menu at Unnamed Taco on SE 14th St Des Moines, Iowa by Tyrgyzistan, on Flickr

Holy ****, is that the going price for a Burrito in Iowa? That's about $2 more than I've seen anywhere around me. And we are talking the football sized burrito places. Half size burritos are usually about $3.50.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think we're just finding better local options than chains like Carlos O Kelly's. Just take a look at the BBQ places in Des Moines. Places like Jethros and Smokey D's are always packed regardless of location.

That's part of what I'm saying.

CycloneErik said:
The Food Network and food shows from other channels probably play a big role in chain struggles,since they stress local business/small shops so abundantly.
When people see food on TV, the chain places aren't what they're seeing, and people are seeing some pretty amazing food choices out there.

I don't think there's any disputing this. The idea of seeking out unique, local options is being broadcast pretty prevalently, and people are generally deciding that these places offer a superior experience.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
Okay, I was reading the google maps wrong, its Taco Alicia's and its at 1413 E. Maury. Maybe they should get a sign with their name and phone number or something.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Didn't realize Pita Pit closed until I walked all the way up to the door and yanked on it to find out it was locked. This was last week.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Pita Pit apart of the building that is slated for demo due to the Kingland expansion?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Last time I checked, queso just means cheese, not a specific fake Mexican dipping sauce.

Well if we're going to get all nitpicky, your login name is missing the squiggly little line over the n...so that'll drop you down a few pegs there, mr. smartypants.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think the reason that big chains are starting to fail is because the small places have gotten a lot better and cleaner.

It is what I call the "McDonald's syndrome". When people go out to eat they want to know what they are getting into. Yes, McDs and Subway are not great food, but they are clean, controlled, and consistent. In other words, you will not get a great meal, but you will most likely not get the runs either. The internet has changed the way people search for a restaurant. There are ratings, facebook posts from friends, twitter, etc. People will find the good and bad about a local place without the risk of having to actually eating there.

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
I went to Cazador for lunch a month back.... Disgusting crap they serve there. I ordered a beef burrito with rice and beans. The burrito had a tomato type sauce on it very similar to spaghetti o sauce. Rice was extremely soggy and tasted like HyVee brand, and the beans weren't really heated up.

Yup that's great stuff there. The two others I had there for lunch thought the same thing.

Thats an amazing palate to be able to distinguish between hyvee generic and name brand rice

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Is bean dip a real thing?
Morpheus.WhatIfIToldYou.png

bean dip isn't a real thing?