Carlos O'Kellys is Closing!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
The only time I would go to Carlos O'Kelly's when there was a group event or some situation where I had no say. The restaurant that I really really miss in Ames is O'Mally McGhee's. That was some amazing food.

cyers

May 31, 2008
That whole stretch of lincoln way between grand and duff could use some redevelopment and liberal use of a bulldozer.

And then turn around and head west from Grand to University, the houses along the north side are in bad shape and it really looks crappy heading to campus.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I ate at Carlos O'Kellys four times at three different locations in my life. Got physically sick each time.

I'm allergic to Carlos O'Kellys.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I never could understand why Carlos in CR was always so busy. My wife liked it because it wasn't very spicy, but beyond the chips and salsa, the rest of the food was pretty marginal. You could always count on a plate with a huge helping of out of the can refried beans and nasty rice with whatever you ordered. There are a lot better choices in CR, that is for sure. There is a good place on the SW side near where K-mart use to be. Can't remember the name and I am rarely in that part of town when it is time to eat.

ISUAlum05

Nov 5, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I never could understand why Carlos in CR was always so busy. My wife liked it because it wasn't very spicy, but beyond the chips and salsa, the rest of the food was pretty marginal. You could always count on a plate with a huge helping of out of the can refried beans and nasty rice with whatever you ordered. There are a lot better choices in CR, that is for sure. There is a good place on the SW side near where K-mart use to be. Can't remember the name and I am rarely in that part of town when it is time to eat.

El Rancho!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Got tha ***** everytime i ate there. The local mexican places are soooooooooo much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Midwestern white people love them some bland food with the illusion of flavor.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I have no idea how the one on Westown Parkway stayed open so long. It's such a bad location.

Probably because there are a gazillion people in WDM and just like all the restaurants and fast food joints by Jordan Creek they all seem packed all the time especially weekends.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
They've been unprofitable for a few years, which doesn't surprise me. While generally okay food, it is too expensive to go often. With So many better and cheaper Mexican alternatives in town it isn't surprising.

Some Carlos O'Kellys restaurants closing in Iowa | Local News - KCCI Home

This. Haven't eaten in the one at Waterloo for quite a while because of that. Used to be one of my favorite places, but I found a small family run place that has some of the best food I've ever eaten. Surprisingly some of their seafood is my favorite thing about the place.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I have never had that but have driven past it many times. I may have to try it now. Thanks for the suggestion! I have been to Adelita's which isn't too far away from Casa Las Glorias and I thought Adelita's was a close second to El Azteca for my favorite mexican restaurant.

Adelitas is delicious. You can get a 5 pound plate of Carnitas and 97 ounce beer for like 10 bucks.