Capello Transfering...

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
Your post is full of "hard evidence". I hope your not a lawyer or a detective.

If you dont like it when family members get on the board, fine. Capello didnt DO anything to warrant your negativity other than just becoming a member of CF and posting his thoughts and feelings. What kind of idiot does that on a message board? :confused:

Ding, ding, ding! Winner

Some people really have to search to come up with some of the stuff they write.

TC is a parent, and he should have some bias, he is a Dad. But I fail to see all the underlying premise that some are able to come up with, and the ax to grind. I have met TC, and he is a genuine & good man, with nothing but good things to say of ISU. Is the Capello family disappointed that all the snaps aren't James'? Sure. But he has been a great poster, parent or not.

Some of the negativity seems to stem further from the fact of the parents of players posting on here, and probably closer to the problem lying from within. I guess I just posted my vibe. Oh well.

There's my 2 cents.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
In the scheme of things, it doesn't hurt the team that much, IMO. If your #1 and #2 QB both go down, the season is lost anyhow. Capello was a signing that came later in the recruiting process without the staff's first full year of recruiting. I think when you look at the guys coming in the program at the QB spot, it's fair to say they were able to overcruit him. He would have done fine as a backup, but how could anybody say he'd be able to develop as a starter, other than people emotionally invested in him?

What I don't like is when a parent says, my kid is going to be the starter, he is going to work his tail off over the summer and prove these guys wrong, and then bails.... The coaching staff makes too much money to win ball games. Herman has not proved jack at Iowa State. You don't think that they are going to go with the guy who is clearly the best at the position? There is too much to lose to not do just that.

I also think it speaks VOLUMES he's going DII, not I-AA. Bucknell is only 2 hrs from his hometown in one direction, while Penn, Villanova, etc., are 2 hrs from his hometown another direction.

I just don't understand how you go from saying you think he should win the job in the Big 12, to dropping all the way down to DII.... At a school that won 1 game last year and 0 games two years ago... If you were just almost good enough to start at this level, why drop down so low to a program so bad?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

And here's where it sucks. If his dad never posted here, then people would be all positive, saying good luck.

But instead, because this guy's dad came on here saying how his kid was going to do this and that, and then bails, it makes them all look bad, fair or not.
  1. Don't tell Cincinnatti that if your #1 and #2 go down that your season is over. Didn't they lose 1,2,and 3 a few years ago and still won. I think this is especially the case when there is not much difference between your #1 and #4 QB.
  2. I don't think his dad said he "would be the starter." Everything I saw, he said he thought he had a chance and was going to work his butt off in order to get that chance
  3. The DII doesn't mean much. Could be that is where he was comfortable or that is where he could go in short time frame and knew he could get PT. Who knows.

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Your post is full of "hard evidence". I hope your not a lawyer or a detective.

If you dont like it when family members get on the board, fine. Capello didnt DO anything to warrant your negativity other than just becoming a member of CF and posting his thoughts and feelings. What kind of idiot does that on a message board? :confused:

Then show me hard evidence where JC's father offered a lot more then just a connection to the program.... It goes both ways. He was an alright poster, but people here like to put posters with a "connection" to the program on a pedastal because they themselves don't have a connection besides a fan. Sorry for not being caught up in "OMG he is a family member of a player!", and I think some of sunshine pumping Tom did of his son was similar to what KG-Cyclone was blasted for with GMAC. Nice double standard eh?

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Then show me hard evidence where JC's father offered a lot more then just a connection to the program.... It goes both ways. He was an alright poster, but people here like to put posters with a "connection" to the program on a pedastal because they themselves don't have a connection besides a fan. Sorry for not being caught up in "OMG he is a family member of a player!", and I think some of sunshine pumping Tom did of his son was similar to what KG-Cyclone was blasted for with GMAC. Nice double standard eh?

The major difference between KG and Capello was that the anti GMAC crowd had historical data to validate that GMAC couldnt get it done and KG just kept saying "it will be fine trust me" with no support for his theory.

Capello's theory was that his son would work his butt off and do everything in his power to win the job. From what I have heard from the coaches and former players he did that. From what I read I didnt see anything from TC stating that James would for sure win the job and therefore we didnt get the "trust me" statements from TC. This to me is where the difference lies.

Now if we were sitting in May of 2012 or 13 and Capello was complaining about JC's opportunity or something then I would be the first to say that I trust the coaches and their eval of the players. They have earned that in my eyes with the way that they handled the AA vs JT situation last year.

Edit: I am not putting the family members or people with personal contacts on a pedistal. I actually take into account that they are probably biased and treat their post with a grain of salt. I do also enjoy hearing from someone who is looking at things from a different perspective than I am (fan) while also considering that they might know more about certian aspects of the program than I do because they DO know someone who is personally involved.
I done arguing hypotheticals

Last edited:

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
But would Colt have had this same success with Iowa State's offensive personnel and not Texas'? He could afford to be a little off because his receivers and line were damn good. Don't get me wrong, he would've helped Iowa State out, but I don't think he would've put up nearly as gaudy of numbers. If you stuck Austen Arnaud on those Texas squads I'm sure he would've looked better too.

Colt was ridiculously accurate and a very smart player. Think you are selling him a bit short.
He would have put up damn good numbers at ISU, or where ever he was. Probably not at the same level as at Texas, but damn good nonetheless.
Look what happened to Texas post-Colt. Not even a bowl bid.

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
No need to be a **** about it. The kid worked hard and I never heard anything bad about him off the field. He put an earnest effort toward becoming our starter and when it was apparent it wasn't going to happen, he moved on. His family seemed to enjoy their affiliation with ISU and always had good things to say. He's leaving on good terms as far as I'm concerned and I wish him nothing but the best.

+1

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
But would Colt have had this same success with Iowa State's offensive personnel and not Texas'? He could afford to be a little off because his receivers and line were damn good. Don't get me wrong, he would've helped Iowa State out, but I don't think he would've put up nearly as gaudy of numbers. If you stuck Austen Arnaud on those Texas squads I'm sure he would've looked better too.
As somene that ishard on our WR corp, I don't totally disagree. I think Shipley made McCoy as much as McCoy made Shipley. Heck, Shipley made Gilbert look decent. At the same time, McCoy put the ball where it needed to be and when it needed to be there. The kid won games.

Some guys just have "it". That special something that gets the job done.

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
Eh wrong, Tom said something to the tune of JC is going to stay here and compete and be a fighter for the position. Transferring is going against what he said.
You mean a parent doesn't always know what his 20-year child is thinking? Color me surprised.

Oftentimes, the point of going "away" to college is begin the process of thinking on your own; away from parental inputs.

Heck, Kirk Ferentz didn't even know where his college-attending son was living, let alone THINKING. And they lived in the same city.

I do wish James the best though with future endeavors.
I disagree. I think you want him to fail because you seem like an "I told you so" kind of guy.

I bet Tom is over on Tiffin's message board starting to hype up James!

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs
So I'm an idiot for feeling rubbed the wrong way by the dad who was most likely "that guy" who yelled at his son and coaches during pee wee football? And lives vicariously through his son? Thats just the vibe I got from his posts.... Thanks!

Everything you posted after "So I'm an idiot" points to you being an idiot. That's just the vibe I get from your posts in addition to some other vibes.

Then again, I'm guessing you are 21, maybe 22y/o. So I'm sure you have a lot of experience in parenting, unless you are telling us about what kind of a father you had.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
5 other QBs listed on the Tiffin roster for 2011 (4 Sophomores and 1 Junior). I wonder what they think. Or maybe they will just do whatever it takes to win the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Capello should get some good playing time there.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Good luck to James and all the best to him and his family.

My son was all lined up to be a Capello fan this year since the game we made it back for this year was the Utah game and there wasn't much there to get excited about other than James's touchdown.

For the people talking bad about them grow up. The Capello's became Cyclone fans and therefore posted on Cyclone Fanatic. I thought they were always appropriate and enjoy the insight we get to see from them and TheCity.

Speaking of insight if James is leaving he has to have a feel for who is going to win the job next year (since he made the conclusion it wasn't him). Any final insight Tom?

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
Good luck to James and all the best to him and his family.

My son was all lined up to be a Capello fan this year since the game we made it back for this year was the Utah game and there wasn't much there to get excited about other than James's touchdown.

For the people talking bad about them grow up. The Capello's became Cyclone fans and therefore posted on Cyclone Fanatic. I thought they were always appropriate and enjoy the insight we get to see from them and TheCity.

Speaking of insight if James is leaving he has to have a feel for who is going to win the job next year (since he made the conclusion it wasn't him). Any final insight Tom?

He was a 2 star rivals recruit that is going to be joining a team that has won 1 game the past two years... He is probably the best player on their roster.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Comparing Capello's dad to kg-bluejay is wayyyyyyyyyyy off the mark.

For starters... I don't recall TC ever posting about how James was the savior of the ISU football program, how James was going to be the best QB that ISU fans had ever seen before, or other infamous posts of the kg-bluejay variety such as the "I know something you don't know" or the "Everything is just fine, trust me" posts that he never backed up with anything close to facts. In fact... TC never boasted about his son at all.... period. TC spoke of his son's decision to talk with CPR to figure out what he needed to improve on so he would have a shot at the starting QB job and that after that his son vowed to work his *** off to try and earn the job. To see people on here trying to turn the guy into some kind of villain is idiotic.

I personally never met the guy or his son but I did read his posts and for someone to characterize him as anything other then a father sharing a bit of insight into his son's football career at ISU is dead wrong.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Good luck to James & his family. I was rooting for him or Barnett to be good enough to win the job so we could have a longterm solution at the position. With his exit, I hope Barnett can win the position. As far as the people getting worked up about a dad showing interest in his son....life's too short to get worked up about him posting on an internet fan board, imo. Move on.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Everything you posted after "So I'm an idiot" points to you being an idiot. That's just the vibe I get from your posts in addition to some other vibes.

Then again, I'm guessing you are 21, maybe 22y/o. So I'm sure you have a lot of experience in parenting, unless you are telling us about what kind of a father you had.

Yep, I am 21, and maybe so I'm being the idiot, but its all about opinions. Nothing is going to change mine, and you don't know jack **** about my father, so you don't need to head towards that route.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Comparing Capello's dad to kg-bluejay is wayyyyyyyyyyy off the mark.

For starters... I don't recall TC ever posting about how James was the savior of the ISU football program, how James was going to be the best QB that ISU fans had ever seen before, or other infamous posts of the kg-bluejay variety such as the "I know something you don't know" or the "Everything is just fine, trust me" posts that he never backed up with anything close to facts. In fact... TC never boasted about his son at all.... period. TC spoke of his son's decision to talk with CPR to figure out what he needed to improve on so he would have a shot at the starting QB job and that after that his son vowed to work his *** off to try and earn the job. To see people on here trying to turn the guy into some kind of villain is idiotic.

I personally never met the guy or his son but I did read his posts and for someone to characterize him as anything other then a father sharing a bit of insight into his son's football career at ISU is dead wrong.

I would add that he was a stand-up guy. He generally didn't seem to mind some of the stupidity on the forum that was directed his way. It seemed like he just wanted to be part of the community and help people pay attention to his son in a not-over-the-top way.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I would add that he was a stand-up guy. He generally didn't seem to mind some of the stupidity on the forum that was directed his way. It seemed like he just wanted to be part of the community and help people pay attention to his son in a not-over-the-top way.

No doubt. It isn't like people don't want to know about the QB situation at ISU.... for God's sake there have been a million threads about it. :confused:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Good luck to James and his family!

And don't listen to some of these idiot so-called "Cyclone fans" that are knocking you. I never read anything posted by the Capello's that I didn't enjoy. Seemed like really, really great people.

I wish James luck at his new school and hope he gets to play there. You can't blame a kid for just wanting to do what he loves. Some guys are satisfied with just holding a clipboard for 4 years and getting a degree, which is perfectly fine too, but James never seemed like a kid that wanted to do that.

He also never complained, to my knowledge, about not getting a chance to prove himself either. Never got in trouble either. So what's not to like? I don't get it?

I do think we will miss him though. I'm still not convinced by any measure that Capello wasn't possibly our best QB on the roster? Maybe he wasn't, but if not, he sure is VERY close to being our best. Nobody at the QB position has stood out IMO at all. They are all pretty even. So James might have had just as good of a shot as anyone, but obviously he must not have felt the same way?

Good luck anyway to James Capello!