Campbell's contract

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Does anyone here have enough knowledge of ISU's AD budget to know how reasonable it is to pay say $3-$3.5 million with bonus structure and increased assistant pay?

6-7 games x 50,000 tickets x $5 increase is another $1.5+ million. That alone would pretty much do it.

I know JP is a big believer in the entire AD being competitive...but honestly if it doesn't make money and we're not legally required to have it...I could care less.
Sell beer and we can afford to pay him $10 million. :)

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
The days are numbered for the $99 mini-packs and the $250 and $175 season tickets with no donation required. I know that the lower $ tickets are popular by some as a way to ease people into Cyclone football. But it is also a huge missed opportunity to generate millions of dollars of revenue that can go to pay CMC and his assistants higher salaries before even looking at raising ticket prices and donation levels on the rest of the stadium.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The days are numbered for the $99 mini-packs and the $250 and $175 season tickets with no donation required. I know that the lower $ tickets are popular by some as a way to ease people into Cyclone football. But it is also a huge missed opportunity to generate millions of dollars of revenue that can go to pay CMC and his assistants higher salaries before even looking at raising ticket prices and donation levels on the rest of the stadium.

We went from the $1000 donation 3 years ago to the SEZ because we had a kid. If you want people like us (and our future cyclone kids) there game after game you better not start requiring a donation for the nosebleeds and then have "ticket specials" later in the year for those same seats. I trust JP to do what is right and it's better to offer cheaper seats in bad areas than have no one there at all.

Remember, thi is the first time Trice has been anywhere close to sold out for a late season game in a decade.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I don’t know about that.
I think JP is smart enough not to price out a large portion of the fanbase.
Its better to have 3 people buy 2 tickets each at $250 than to have 1 person donate $100 and buy 2 tickets at $425.
The first option profits $1500 and 6 tickets sold. The second option profits $950 and only 2 tickets sold.
Now, if we were selling out every single game, then you would have a point. But it doesn’t make sense yet to price out fans and families.

Hilton Coliseum is a different story.

• Agree
Reactions: Ryan4069

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
We went from the $1000 donation 3 years ago to the SEZ because we had a kid. If you want people like us (and our future cyclone kids) there game after game you better not start requiring a donation for the nosebleeds and then have "ticket specials" later in the year for those same seats. I trust JP to do what is right and it's better to offer cheaper seats in bad areas than have no one there at all.

Remember, thi is the first time Trice has been anywhere close to sold out for a late season game in a decade.

I have a similar story..
Went from a $1,000 donation and 2 tickets to a $500 donation and hillside parent passes with the Jr Cyclone club for our 3 y/o. This is after having our second child.
We gave a $250 donation last year, but upped it to $500 this year for better parking for football and basketball.

Still need to make sure there is a semi-cheap option for families. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be going to the games. We also usually buy some form of concessions at each football game too, and a large majority of the basketball games.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Let’s hope you’re right, but I doubt the AD is currently offering those solely as an investment to ease people into Cyclone football. The demand curve forces him to. But that demand should improve, it needs to.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Jamie has done a great job pricing the seats at Hilton accordingly with the upswing that MBB has seen. I have no doubts he will do the same for football when the times comes.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Let’s hope you’re right, but I doubt the AD is currently offering those solely as an investment to ease people into Cyclone football. The demand curve forces him to. But that demand should improve, it needs to.
Agree that the demand curve over the previous handful of years has required JP to price as he has in order to get behinds in the seats and get any revenue over no revenue. He has been a wizard to keep attendance levels

It might not be for 2018 but if current results and trends keep on going then the demand will be there for those seats in the coming years. It will also probably be incremental in eliminating mini-packs, then either adding a minimum contribution or an increase in ticket prices closer to the other areas of the stadium as tickets become more scarce.

Just like in MBB, more success will mean higher future ticket prices...

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Just figure out a way to get $100 more out of every ticket holder through parking and tickets. Boom. 3 million + right there to go directly to coaches compensation. With the increasing alumni base and success, this shouldn't be hard to do. ISU tickets are dirt cheap relative to others. Of course, you'll have people ******** about it but they will pay just like they did for basketball.

I mean season ticket holder and yes, that math is a little conservative. Also, there's probably a lot of room on single game tickets as well. If you can get another 20 out of them, that's close to another 2 million. So, without putting a huge burden on fans and not even considering donations, you can get 5 million + pretty easily if you win and give people a reason to pay for them which I think they're doing.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Just figure out a way to get $100 more out of every ticket holder through parking and tickets. Boom. 3 million + right there to go directly to coaches compensation. With the increasing alumni base and success, this shouldn't be hard to do. ISU tickets are dirt cheap relative to others. Of course, you'll have people ******** about it but they will pay just like they did for basketball.
Yep. That’s not even $10 dollars a month. Maybe this is just me, but I’m normally forced to drink way more than that in a football season.

We’ll slowly gain demand without success, but I really believe (hope) Cyclone football can rapidly become worth an additional $10/month more if it’s a quality product.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

I mean season ticket holder and yes, that math is a little conservative. Also, there's probably a lot of room on single game tickets as well. If you can get another 20 out of them, that's close to another 2 million. So, without putting a huge burden on fans and not even considering donations, you can get 5 million + pretty easily if you win and give people a reason to pay for them which I think they're doing.

here's the funny thing... if it's my choice where/when to spend that $100 they'll get it. If I'm forced to donate to keep my nosebleed seats (that I know I can get in a minipack or on "flash sale" or whatever) I'm not going to make that donation. 2 pops, a corn dog, nachos, every single game plus a seat rental from time to time makes me feel way better than a required donation for Row 25 of Section M.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
here's the funny thing... if it's my choice where/when to spend that $100 they'll get it. If I'm forced to donate to keep my nosebleed seats (that I know I can get in a minipack or on "flash sale" or whatever) I'm not going to make that donation. 2 pops, a corn dog, nachos, every single game plus a seat rental from time to time makes me feel way better than a required donation for Row 25 of Section M.
Forced? Interesting perspective.

Would you take the food over retaining this staff? Imo I don’t get any value in the food purchase, and I’m forced to pay a markup for bad food, with less of my money going to where I’d actually like it to go (me, or the staff). I feel more value just donating directly to Cyclone football. Let’s say the AD needs $100 more from everyone. I can either spend $150 on mediocre nachos to get there, or I could just give $100 to the AD and spend $50 on better food elsewhere.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, i'm sure he's more than on top of this.

Even if they aren't actively in renegotiation of the contract (which in general you'd probably want to extend anyway, just given recruiting), i'd be shocked if JP hasn't done the asking to get a handle on what will keep Campbell happy in Ames and made it clear that he will be be taken care of to the extent ISU is able.

I'll just about guarantee that if proposals aren't drawn up, JP at least has mock ups of contracts for different levels of success and he's at least tried to get private money lined up. He doesn't seem like an unprepared guy.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The biggest things I see in Iowa State's favor are this...

Campbell is a MW guy with 4 young kids...Ames is a great place for a guy like that.
He's now seen he can win at ISU against top teams.
We've got huge fan support...especially for a team with ISU's tradition.

BUT...
UF just fired a guy they paid CSU big money to get less than 3 years after lusting after him and paying a huge buyout. And honestly UF's coach is probably relieved after looking at him yesterday.

Iowa, NU, MN, MO, KS, and KSU are all down and/or lead by coaches on their downward run.
If I'm Matt Campbell I'm excited about the potential to recruit the MW after this season.
Who has a better story right now for MW kids who want to play close to home.
In Texas UT is a ? A&M looks like they're headed towards a new coach. TT is a mess. Baylor is a dumpster fire. Even OU looks like they'll not be what they've been going forward. Texas recruiting is probably more open then ever before as well.

Facilities are here. Plenty of money. Plenty of fans. Good conference affiliation & TV contract.

Don't underrate this. If this is year 4 maybe he sees just how hard it will be to be consistent here. It's year two and he's a play away from being in the CFB playoff talk. He has to be sitting there with a huge sense of optimism that you can do everything you want to here.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Agreed. But unless we are consistently good (see basketball), we need those lower value tickets to fill the stadium. We couldn't sell $30 tix to the TCU game so making people spend $100+ per ticket isn't feasible until there is more demand for ISU football tickets.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I agree with you. I think the toughest thing he faces is getting rid of that "bargain" option in the right way at the right time. I'll ask, what if you don't have the minipack option? What if it's like basketball and tickets don't exist?

I saw someone say that JP has dealt with this. He hasn't. He has dealt with it on the basketball side and that's selling 15K tickets to a rabid basketball fanbase. Selling 60K football tickets to a rabid basketball fanbase is different. That's not to say that it can't/won't happen but I do think this fanbase, in order to increase revenue through tickets, needs turn the corner, so to speak, in terms off football passion. I think they will but I'm not sure one season does it.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
At this current point in time I would agree with you that it makes no sense to demand a donation for these types of seats when we are still doing mini-packs, flash sales, etc... to fill the corners of the stadium. There is (was) not enough demand for those seats at the start of 2017 FB season and even up thru last weekend when attendance was only 56+k for #4 TCU. Like you say it is still way too easy to get cheap tickets for these seats without the need for the donation.

When The Jack is sold out via season tickets and the AD doesn't need to resort to the other gimmicks to sell tickets will be a completely different story.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I know this isn't probably a huge number but I know quite a few Cyclones season ticket holders that work at Principal. Next year(I think) will be the first year that Principal will stop matching contributions to the colleges. It was a lot easier to donate $1,000 extra when you knew you were getting $2,000 in benefit.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Agreed. But unless we are consistently good (see basketball), we need those lower value tickets to fill the stadium. We couldn't sell $30 tix to the TCU game so making people spend $100+ per ticket isn't feasible until there is more demand for ISU football tickets.

I would agree, JP can't do a knee jerk reaction here, if you want to keep the faithful that have been filling the same seats for the last 10 years or so, you have to see what unfolds next year.
If every game is a sell out, then yes, it is not like we have a waiting list for people to get season tickets. Would I pay for increased parking? Heck yes!! They could park cars along Beach Ave. like they did 10 years ago and charge for that. That was a great atmosphere when they did that.

If they raise prices, will I still go. In a heartbeat, but you don't let a good year like this all of the sudden create a hike in ticket prices. I've lived through the good years and the not so good years of ISU football, so let Captain Campbell keep the ship steady and moving forward.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron