Campbell's contract

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I don't see any program considering CMC for another couple years if not 3 or 4. It would have to be a blueblood program with serious cash, then you'd probably need a situation where their coach retires and therefore there's no buyout.

Lets look at Tennesse and if they fire Butch Jones. It's reported that they owe him a 9 million. They drop another 9 million for Campbell, and burn through $18 million just to get a new coach?

Ed Orgeron at LSU is owed 12 million at the end of this season. 21 million just to get Campbell? Nebraska? Nope. Off the top of my head Tenn, and LSU are the 2 premiere locations with a lot of money currently facing situations where a change needs to be made. Maybe Harbaugh flames out in a year or two, and Michigan is looking. Bama, OSU, Texas, USC, all good right now. They gonna fire Jumbo at FSU after a bad season? Nope. Dabo aint going anywhere at Clemson. Going to take a few years for Riley to sink OU.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I just hope when he leaves, he goes to a blue blood. Not just some run of the mill school.

If he goes to like UNC or Kentucky or ole miss for a million more a year, I'll be depressed.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I was listening to Ken Millers show today, and Bama Bob was on talking about Tennessee. I think he said they're still paying Derek Dooley, and would also have to pay Butch Jones buyout as well if they let him go. If those two things are true, I would be surprised if they would pony up another $9 million for Campbell

• Agree
Reactions: Omaha Cy

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I was listening to Ken Millers show today, and Bama Bob was on talking about Tennessee. I think he said they're still paying Derek Dooley, and would also have to pay Butch Jones buyout as well if they let him go. If those two things are true, I would be surprised if they would pony up another $9 million for Campbell

Question. Can 6 rich people go 1.5 Mil each to get it done or is that illegal? If not illegal, then not an issue for Tennessee or other big time schools.

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about any specific school who wants to do this.

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
Not gonna happen this year for a lot of the reasons stated previously, but in a couple years... Say he did continue his success here and made us a top team in the Big12. Wouldn't it feel like a waste of his time to work so hard, then bolt for another program that needs more rebuilding? He wouldnt get to reap any of the benefits he helped make here!

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Question. Can 6 rich people go 1.5 Mil each to get it done or is that illegal? If not illegal, then not an issue for Tennessee or other big time schools.

So, you are denying that Toledo wants him back?

Seriously, I think most coach buyouts are essentially big donors giving money to the university to buy out the coach. So, they also get a donation receipt!

Reactions: xr4ticlone

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

I would assume that's okay, but I have no idea. I don't know how many big time donors Tennessee has

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Clearly Matt Campbell and staff have what it takes to get us to where we want to go, and if we get there, the money will be there to pay them what they're worth. I think he's committed to us, so we just need to make sure to hold up our end of the bargain.
I 100% agree. My thoughts are that if we lose Campbell (whenever that may be) that we keep as many of the assistants as possible to keep things rolling.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
If we lose Campbell, we lose the assistants too. That’s how they all roll, together, continuity.

I personally believe the fact that he came here with his own staff was the main reason we are where we are today. They have been on the same page since day one, and hit the ground running. I have no doubt that the whole staff will be fairly compensated....this staff gets it done.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If we lose Campbell, we lose the assistants too. That’s how they all roll, together, continuity.

His OC at Toledo was peeled off to be HC there. If we wanted, we could try to make Tom Manning HC or something. Who knows if he would be able to keep position coaches by promoting them to coordinator.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I haven't followed this closely, but even before this game I was for extending/reworking the contract for pretty much what MC wants. The way we keep him is to show as much faith and loyalty in him and his staff as we can. If we wait like the people wrongly comparing this to Rhoads, that brings in more risk. This staff believes they can win big here. It's time for the university, AD and fans to do the same and act accordingly.
That said, MC probably wouldn't want to talk contract in season.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Pay dat man his money
yP1.gif

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
This might be unpopular however the current reality is it's too soon. Campbell has performed above expectations both coaching and recruiting. I get that. There are still too many previous staff players no this roster. In another two years all of the players will be CMC players. CPR came in and won with chizik players then ran into problems over time. I do think CMC is on his way to greatness at ISU. There are several chapters that need to be written. The ride is awesome though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron