Campbell's contract

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Even if ISU was only to win one more game you give a nice addition to the contract, if ISU wins 8 or more this year you give until it hurts! This isn't winning 6-7 games against a big 12 north schedule, this will be 8+ against a full Big 12 schedule with two wins against top 5 ranked teams and neither are named Iowa.

Coach Campbell could very easily be ISU's Coach Snyder if ISU can keep him.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Out of curiosity, does anyone know on average how much money do schools get for being in a bowl game? (tv money, bowl money, etc)

The conference splits the bowl money evenly. The school participating may get an extra amount to cover travel but a lot of times lower level bowls can end up costing schools more than netting them money.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

othercy

Mar 31, 2012
Northern CA
If he is an integrity guy that is a selling point that may hit home. He can wait a few more years for a bigger payout but his DC is 58. And the rest of the staff making much less has to be thinking strike while the iron is hot. So ... Increase the payout for all the staff. I love the incentive pay approach ... $500,000 for 6 wins, COY payout, etc. Build on this and include generous payouts for him and whole staff for each additional win over 6, for making playoffs, Nat Champship, player graduation rate, GPA, etc. Include disincentives and penalties for cutting corners, abusing players, or player and staff misbehavior to make sure it is done wth quality people, etc.

Posted this in another thread ... this is the one where it belongs.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
If he is an integrity guy that is a selling point that may hit home. He can wait a few more years for a bigger payout but his DC is 58. And the rest of the staff making much less has to be thinking strike while the iron is hot. So ... Increase the payout for all the staff. I love the incentive pay approach ... $500,000 for 6 wins, COY payout, etc. Build on this and include generous payouts for him and whole staff for each additional win over 6, for making playoffs, Nat Champship, player graduation rate, GPA, etc. Include disincentives and penalties for cutting corners, abusing players, or player and staff misbehavior to make sure it is done wth quality people, etc.

Posted this in another thread ... this is the one where it belongs.
Nice post!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
You all realize your suggestions of what to do, when, and how much is an exercise to influence each other?

JP has been down this road and has learned a lot along the way. He is the guy that brought CMC here. He is more interested in keeping CMC here than any of us.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Another thing I thought about. If we would have lost out after Tech, I honestly would have been more worried about losing CMC than us continuing to win. Thanks to Mr. Herbstreit, the secret was already out about CMC. If we lost out, CMC could have looked back and saw that there was still a lot of work to be done to MAYBE turn ISU around then would entertain offers. Now that CMC has TWO(!!!) top 5 wins in one season, continues to win, and has ISU positioned to contend for the Big 12 with half the team not even being his own recruits (and with the success we have had, higher caliber recruits are going to want to be a part of this). Why throw this away now to go somewhere they are expecting 10 win seasons off the bat?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Another thing I thought about. If we would have lost out after Tech, I honestly would have been more worried about losing CMC than us continuing to win. Thanks to Mr. Herbstreit, the secret was already out about CMC. If we lost out, CMC could have looked back and saw that there was still a lot of work to be done to MAYBE turn ISU around then would entertain offers. Now that CMC has TWO(!!!) top 5 wins in one season, continues to win, and has ISU positioned to contend for the Big 12 with half the team not even being his own recruits (and with the success we have had, higher caliber recruits are going to want to be a part of this). Why throw this away now to go somewhere they are expecting 10 win seasons off the bat?

You're right. Campbell has to be feeling a lot more comfortable here with so much early success. If we go 2-10 again this year he's gotta be starting to think, "Wow, what did I get myself into?" Now he's sitting here thinking, "We can climb to the top of the mountain here someday.."

Reactions: xr4ticlone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You all realize your suggestions of what to do, when, and how much is an exercise to influence each other?

JP has been down this road and has learned a lot along the way. He is the guy that brought CMC here. He is more interested in keeping CMC here than any of us.

Yeah, i'm sure he's more than on top of this.

Even if they aren't actively in renegotiation of the contract (which in general you'd probably want to extend anyway, just given recruiting), i'd be shocked if JP hasn't done the asking to get a handle on what will keep Campbell happy in Ames and made it clear that he will be be taken care of to the extent ISU is able.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
After listening to CMC's speech to the players after yesterday's game, JP shouldn't have to give him a raise at all if CMC is a man of his word. But JP had better be in talks with him just to be sure.

I'd sure feel terrible for all these players if their head coach gave them that speech yesterday about staying with The Process, even in these times today when everyone is only about themselves and instant gratification.... and then he himself doesn't live up to that and quits on The Process early for somewhere else for HIMSELF and HIS instant gratification. That would be complete and total BS on his part.

But as I said, JP had better be in talks already with CMC, or at least his agent behind the scenes just to ensure he stays here.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
After listening to CMC's speech to the players after yesterday's game, JP shouldn't have to give him a raise at all if CMC is a man of his word. But JP had better be in talks with him just to be sure.

I'd sure feel terrible for all these players if their head coach gave them that speech yesterday about staying with The Process, even in these times today when everyone is only about themselves and instant gratification.... and then he himself doesn't live up to that and quits on The Process early for somewhere else for HIMSELF and HIS instant gratification. That would be complete and total BS on his part.

But as I said, JP had better be in talks already with CMC, or at least his agent behind the scenes just to ensure he stays here.

It's not about that. It's about making other potential suitors consider the extreme pain in the budget (or their donors' budgets) if they want to come after Campbell.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

The contract increase is the process loving him back. If not, the process will love him back by way of other offers and opportunities.

I don't know what you think that speech meant, but to me it was about hard work leading to good things happening to you. If we're (ISU) not the provider of those good things we're shooting ourselves in the foot because someone else will be. That's how dedicating yourself to the process functions in the real world.

And that is a powerful message for young guys in a culture of instant gratification to learn and embrace, because they can use that and succeed with that after they leave the game of football in the rear view mirror.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
The biggest things I see in Iowa State's favor are this...

Campbell is a MW guy with 4 young kids...Ames is a great place for a guy like that.
He's now seen he can win at ISU against top teams.
We've got huge fan support...especially for a team with ISU's tradition.

BUT...
UF just fired a guy they paid CSU big money to get less than 3 years after lusting after him and paying a huge buyout. And honestly UF's coach is probably relieved after looking at him yesterday.

Iowa, NU, MN, MO, KS, and KSU are all down and/or lead by coaches on their downward run.
If I'm Matt Campbell I'm excited about the potential to recruit the MW after this season.
Who has a better story right now for MW kids who want to play close to home.
In Texas UT is a ? A&M looks like they're headed towards a new coach. TT is a mess. Baylor is a dumpster fire. Even OU looks like they'll not be what they've been going forward. Texas recruiting is probably more open then ever before as well.

Facilities are here. Plenty of money. Plenty of fans. Good conference affiliation & TV contract.

Apr 19, 2006
CMC has a chance to be a legendary coach here at ISU. In many peoples eyes he's damn near there already.

If there is one thing that differs from ISU and any other job is that we are loyal and patient. Coach could have a very long career here if he stays. Sure he could go to other bigger schools make quick money and may or may not be successful. It doesn't cost a ton to live in Iowa which is a plus as well.

There are other bigger name schools who should be able to recruit just because of the name on the front of the uniform and have failed with coaching hires. There's no guarantees in life and the pasture isn't always greener on the other side.

I'm hoping we can keep this staff intact for many years to come. Seems to be a great fit and why can't we have nice things?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
IMO, JP and CMC should be negotiating a raise and extension right now. There is no reason to wait, and if they made an announcement now, it has the added benefit of giving the team, fans and recruits an added boost heading into the final third of the season. Seriously, who hasn't seen enough at this point to give him a raise to at least top half of big 12? Don't wait. Do it now.

I doubt they are, but I wouldn't doubt that JP has let Campbell know that we would reward him at the end of the season.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'm just praying that CMC is the one head coach in the country with some honor and integrity, and actually lives up to the words he says.

Most coaches all talk the talk and say that they want to stay where they are at and that they are perfectly happy, up until the point they are offered more money, and then leave in a heartbeat, leaving their words and integrity meaningless.

At some point, likely as soon as this season ends, JP and CMC need to sit down and have a reasonable and rational discussion on this. JP needs to understand that CMC deserves more money (probably top half in the conference), and the assistants deserve more money as well.

And CMC needs to understand that JP and ISU can't spend the kind of money that Alabama and Ohio State can without bankrupting the entire Athletic Department..... and that making 3 million in Ames, Iowa goes a long ways with the very low cost of living.

Both sides need to be understanding of one another and work something out.

The problem being that 3 million isn't fair market value at this point. In contract negotiations it is about leverage and in this case JP needs to understand that he has none. If you can put his base at 3.3 million and then an escalator of $500k for seven regular season wins with an extra $100k for a bowl win then I think we are in the ballpark.

Will JP do something like that? Will the Iowa State fan base, including Cyclone Club members, step up to the plate to allow JP to make that type of commitment?

We need to expand our overall Cyclone Club membership but more importantly we need to see the top two groups (Director's and Victory Levels) grow in order to afford a coach in high 3 millions.

The flip side is that if JP doesn't make a long-term commitment (making a $500k increase would only a bandaid rather than a solution) then it is fairly apparent that Iowa State is not committed to being an Top 30 Power 5 program but rather content to be on the fringe of Power 5 and Group of Six.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Does anyone here have enough knowledge of ISU's AD budget to know how reasonable it is to pay say $3-$3.5 million with bonus structure and increased assistant pay?

6-7 games x 50,000 tickets x $5 increase is another $1.5+ million. That alone would pretty much do it.

I know JP is a big believer in the entire AD being competitive...but honestly if it doesn't make money and we're not legally required to have it...I could care less.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored