Campbell's contract

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I don't see any program considering CMC for another couple years if not 3 or 4. It would have to be a blueblood program with serious cash, then you'd probably need a situation where their coach retires and therefore there's no buyout.

Lets look at Tennesse and if they fire Butch Jones. It's reported that they owe him a 9 million. They drop another 9 million for Campbell, and burn through $18 million just to get a new coach?

Ed Orgeron at LSU is owed 12 million at the end of this season. 21 million just to get Campbell? Nebraska? Nope. Off the top of my head Tenn, and LSU are the 2 premiere locations with a lot of money currently facing situations where a change needs to be made. Maybe Harbaugh flames out in a year or two, and Michigan is looking. Bama, OSU, Texas, USC, all good right now. They gonna fire Jumbo at FSU after a bad season? Nope. Dabo aint going anywhere at Clemson. Going to take a few years for Riley to sink OU.

Pretty sure Florida is going to be looking. If not this year, then next. Big name SEC school with recent National Championship. And just got humiliated by their arch rival Saturday. So probably add them to possible suitors for CMC.

But I'm of the opinion he is going to stay. But yeah, pay him his market value.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm just praying that CMC is the one head coach in the country with some honor and integrity, and actually lives up to the words he says.

Most coaches all talk the talk and say that they want to stay where they are at and that they are perfectly happy, up until the point they are offered more money, and then leave in a heartbeat, leaving their words and integrity meaningless.

At some point, likely as soon as this season ends, JP and CMC need to sit down and have a reasonable and rational discussion on this. JP needs to understand that CMC deserves more money (probably top half in the conference), and the assistants deserve more money as well.

And CMC needs to understand that JP and ISU can't spend the kind of money that Alabama and Ohio State can without bankrupting the entire Athletic Department..... and that making 3 million in Ames, Iowa goes a long ways with the very low cost of living.

Both sides need to be understanding of one another and work something out.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This might be unpopular however the current reality is it's too soon. Campbell has performed above expectations both coaching and recruiting. I get that. There are still too many previous staff players no this roster. In another two years all of the players will be CMC players. CPR came in and won with chizik players then ran into problems over time. I do think CMC is on his way to greatness at ISU. There are several chapters that need to be written. The ride is awesome though.
This is bad post. I get being a contrarian, but you’re trying too hard and comparing things that are not very similar. If you can’t see the difference you’re blind.

It’s not too soon for those ADs that will be offering him a huge payday.

DM, Butler, Eaton, Murdock, Kempt, Park, Knipfel, etc...most of our better players on offense are his recruits. The defense relies on his guys too It would be easier to list the guys that were already good when CMC got here.

Rhoads inherited a very good OLine and some starters on defense. If CMC had inherited that Oline, we’re a top-10 team right now and in a great spot for the playoffs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Doc and clonedude

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I think if you look at the decisions of Campbell's professional mentors (his dad never moved from HS football to the college level, and the Mt. Union coach has been there at DIII for 20+ years), there's a CHANCE Campbell stays. OTOH, Campbell's own career decisions to date suggest he's interested in moving up. So in my view we basically we have to hope he's done moving up now that he's at a P5 program. Time will tell.

Last edited:

TwinCitiesCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2013
Just curious, from Chris' article it states the "additional salary" number dropped from $1,735,000 in 2016 to $935,000 in 2017. (See below)

Can someone explain that?

Is Campbell getting paid less this year or did that amount just shift to another part of his compensation?

Campbell’s salary ($265,000 base plus $1,735,000) in 2016 was right at $2 million. It’s important to note that while that base number stays the same, the “additional salary” number dropped to $935,000 for 2017.

Spam

May 21, 2008
This might be unpopular however the current reality is it's too soon. Campbell has performed above expectations both coaching and recruiting. I get that. There are still too many previous staff players no this roster. In another two years all of the players will be CMC players. CPR came in and won with chizik players then ran into problems over time. I do think CMC is on his way to greatness at ISU. There are several chapters that need to be written. The ride is awesome though.

So Iowa State should be still be "evaluating" Campbell while other teams may have already evaluated Campbell and might be willing to throw some big time cash at him?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I don't buy the Nebraska's and Tennessee's of the world for a second but the very top of the food chain is another matter.

• Agree
Reactions: xr4ticlone

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Its never too soon in the D1 coaching world to give a raise for results. The life span of a college coach can be so quick, they’re either fired or left for greener pastures before any of their recruits are upper classman.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is bad post. I get being a contrarian, but you’re trying too hard and comparing things that are not very similar. If you can’t see the difference you’re blind.

It’s not too soon for those ADs that will be offering him a huge payday.

DM, Butler, Eaton, Murdock, Kempt, Park, etc...most of our better players on offense are his recruits. The defense relies on his guys too

And not only the talent CMC's brought in, but also the mentality too.

Against TT a week ago, we opened the game with nearly a pick six right off the bat. How would that game have ended under Rhoads? I'll tell you... not good.

Then yesterday, when the 2nd half opens with the TCU kickoff return for the TD, then a few plays later you lose Bryce Meeker to injury, and then a few plays later you throw an INT.... how would that game have unfolded at that point under Rhoads? Uhhhh, yes, not good.

Or how about our missed FG after Peavys' huge INT? We got that big turnover and got nothing out of it, besides field position.

Rhoads is a great guy, great family man, very passionate about football and life, but for whatever reason under his tenure, when the first bad play or adversity hit us, we seemed to fold like a tent.

CMC has changed that mentality. Numerous times this season when I've thought... "here we go again"..... it hasn't materialized. He has ingrained in these kids' heads that adversity is going to hit you in every single game, and at multiple times throughout the game too. It's how you respond to that that makes the difference in winning and losing. That kind of mentality is priceless.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So Iowa State should be still be "evaluating" Campbell while other teams may have already evaluated Campbell and might be willing to throw some big time cash at him?
Yep, that’s the type of mistake that brought us decades of bad football.

The reality is that it’s too late for wait and see on CMC. He could get more than $4 million/year in 10 minutes on the market, but his value to Iowa State is unmatched.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
giphy.gif

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
IMO, JP and CMC should be negotiating a raise and extension right now. There is no reason to wait, and if they made an announcement now, it has the added benefit of giving the team, fans and recruits an added boost heading into the final third of the season. Seriously, who hasn't seen enough at this point to give him a raise to at least top half of big 12? Don't wait. Do it now.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
IMO, JP and CMC should be negotiating a raise and extension right now. There is no reason to wait, and if they made an announcement now, it has the added benefit of giving the team, fans and recruits an added boost heading into the final third of the season. Seriously, who hasn't seen enough at this point to give him a raise to at least top half of big 12? Don't wait. Do it now.

That's just not how The Process works. CMC is loving The Process....don't worry The Process (JP) will love him back.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Out of curiosity, does anyone know on average how much money do schools get for being in a bowl game? (tv money, bowl money, etc)

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Question. Can 6 rich people go 1.5 Mil each to get it done or is that illegal? If not illegal, then not an issue for Tennessee or other big time schools.

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about any specific school who wants to do this.

If that's the case, then why is Tennessee still paying on two coaches? And even if donors are paying out those contract installments, that's still money Tennessee doesn't get to use to chase a coach like Campbell.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Out of curiosity, does anyone know on average how much money do schools get for being in a bowl game? (tv money, bowl money, etc)

From what I've read, historically, from a financial standpoint a lot of schools, especially the smaller schools, take a financial hit by going to individual bowl games. It's the payout from the big time bowls that are paid to the conferences represented by the schools playing in the bowls that are then distributed to the rest of the schools that make up for it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Rhoads is a great guy, great family man, very passionate about football and life, but for whatever reason under his tenure, when the first bad play or adversity hit us, we seemed to fold like a tent.

CMC has changed that mentality. Numerous times this season when I've thought... "here we go again"..... it hasn't materialized. He has ingrained in these kids' heads that adversity is going to hit you in every single game, and at multiple times throughout the game too. It's how you respond to that that makes the difference in winning and losing. That kind of mentality is priceless.

Ummm, yeah that wasn't just a Rhoads problem. It's a historical ISU problem.