Bates to Ohio U.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
You forgot the sarcasm pirate... Damn you...

We were rough on Bates for leaving... Players may love him and what not, but remember he had to have daddy speak for him and he couldn't speak up in the spot light until days later.

Kinda seems exactly like the Chizik situation... Too chickin **** to tell the truth and he hid behind others.
Also remember Bates is 19 and Chizik is a man and 40.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Pretty good deal for Bates. Moves down to a lesser conference, gets to play under Solich, and after he sits out his year current QBs Theo Scott (starter) and Boo Jackson (who played the remainder of the season after Scott was injured in the Ohio State game) will be graduated, allowing Bates to have a very strong shot at starting.

Personally I couldn't get used to watching MAC football after growing up with Big XII -- so much of an overall talent differential. However, because of this I believe Bates has the potential to be a star with the Bobcats. They ended with a couple of good games, and showed signs of future improvement.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
This begs the question: At what age is a man able to yell that he's a man and be able to justify it by similarly yelling his age?

Discuss.

I'm hoping to have that level of authori-tay by the time I'm 34. It just has a good sound: "I'm a man! I'm 34!" Just need to let the drawl come out on the last syllable.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
And Solich is also 64 and was arrested quite unglamorously for a DUI a couple years back. He's a hell of a coach, but I don't think he's what we need.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
Jason Berryman was also somebody who was arrested unglamorusly for robbery who was later reinstated back onto the football team. The DUI is in the past and his coaching is what we care about not one run in he had with the law. At this point I could careless if a coach had a DUI, as long as the man can win.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Jason Berryman was also somebody who was arrested unglamorusly for robbery who was later reinstated back onto the football team. The DUI is in the past and his coaching is what we care about not one run in he had with the law. At this point I could careless if a coach had a DUI, as long as the man can win.

The DUI may be in the past, but from what I've heard here in Athens is that his behavior has not changed. And as you probably have noticed, Berryman's actions also may have been in the past, but the behavior remained constant. Thus his subsequent dismissal from not only the Cyclones, but also the Barnstormers. If there is no change in behavior or attitude, nothing has been solved.

If I were Pollard, I'd want to be 100% positive that his drinking problems were behind him before I'd offer him a position. Rings too close to the Eustachy drama otherwise, media would rip him apart.

Last edited:

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
The DUI may be in the past, but from what I've heard here in Athens is that his behavior has not changed. And as you probably have noticed, Berryman's actions also may have been in the past, but the behavior remained constant. Thus his subsequent dismissal from not only the Cyclones, but also the Barnstormers. If there is no change in behavior or attitude, nothing has been solved.

If I were Pollard, I'd want to be 100% positive that his drinking problems were behind him before I'd offer him a position. Rings too close to the Eustachy drama otherwise, media would rip him apart.

Guess thats why they call him, Frank the Tank.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
HIRE FRANK SOLICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i told ya so i told ya so i told ya so!!!!

GET A PROVEN WINNER.. SOLICH.. Man has been to a national championship, knows how to recruit.

And what has Frank Solich done over the last several years to prove that he's capable of building a program from scratch for long-term success?

Dude's a maintainer, not a builder.

No thanks, I'm a fan of winning...

Reactions: TykeClone

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Partially, I was being facetious.

The other part, Gene lied to many, many people. Who knows, perhaps he promised something to Bates and had no intent on living up to it.

Many players still really like Bates. Not many are really lovin' Chizik.

Still pissed at him for quitting midseason. Still not loving the guy. Just a bit more understanding now that other things have played out.
If Chizik quit in the middle of the season would you be wishing him good luck then?

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I'd like to think Bates saw how Tiller was performing on the scout team and saw the writing on the wall even more so than his competition with Arnuad.