Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
How does this kid from UCLA garner so much attention? They won what, 10 games? Maybe 12? So they weren't good and that tells you they aren't getting good coaching and development. The Portal has coaches fighting over hopes and prayers. What a world!
I think he was a highly regarded recruit. Top 40ish.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Don’t look now. The hawks are winners this portal cycle.

That article is the lamest excuse ever for trying to polish the **** pile known as Sukeye BB.
My gawd , they are declared “winners”for hanging on to a bunch of mid major below average players that nobody wants on a team that didn’t make the tournament and is projected to finish 17 out of 18 teams . Terrible article.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I mean calling their Portal "retention" while yet losing 3 key pieces without big gains in return is quite a stretch. I'm guessing the author sleeps in the Fran cult or something. How does the below equate to "Winner" status?...

WINNER: IOWA HAWKEYES​

Iowa was not immune to the transfer portal. Patrick McCaffery left for Butler. Second-leading scorer Tony Perkins bounced for Mizzou. Rotation guard Dasonte Bowen jetted off to St. Bonaventure.

But it could have been so much worse.

Iowa survived the transfer portal deadline without Josh Dix, Owen Freeman or Payton Sandfort tossing their names into the fray. Sandfort is currently going through the NBA Draft process. The 6-foot-7, 215-pound wing is one of the top pure snipers in the country, period, and heavy-hitters were strongly interested. Fellow NBA Draft prospects like Coleman Hawkins, Trevon Brazile and Cam Christie entered the transfer portal in the final hour to keep their options open. Sandfort did not. If he plays college basketball next season, it'll be at Iowa. That's enormous for Fran McCaffery.

Did Fran write this?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I mean calling their Portal "retention" while yet losing 3 key pieces without big gains in return is quite a stretch. I'm guessing the author sleeps in the Fran cult or something. How does the below equate to "Winner" status?...

WINNER: IOWA HAWKEYES​

Iowa was not immune to the transfer portal. Patrick McCaffery left for Butler. Second-leading scorer Tony Perkins bounced for Mizzou. Rotation guard Dasonte Bowen jetted off to St. Bonaventure.

But it could have been so much worse.

Iowa survived the transfer portal deadline without Josh Dix, Owen Freeman or Payton Sandfort tossing their names into the fray. Sandfort is currently going through the NBA Draft process. The 6-foot-7, 215-pound wing is one of the top pure snipers in the country, period, and heavy-hitters were strongly interested. Fellow NBA Draft prospects like Coleman Hawkins, Trevon Brazile and Cam Christie entered the transfer portal in the final hour to keep their options open. Sandfort did not. If he plays college basketball next season, it'll be at Iowa. That's enormous for Fran McCaffery.
You know who are "winners" when their best players don't get poached? Mid-majors, and Iowa, apparently.

• Love
Reactions: exCYtable and JP4CY

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It seems like a no brainer to me. Pump money into a mediocre men's program that has a clear ceiling of the round of 32 or pump money into the women's program to try and maintain the current momentum and excitement. ROI is obviously higher with men's basketball but even men's basketball isn't exactly a huge money maker outside of the blue blood schools and a few others. I'd rather they spend money to try and continue being one of the top women's teams than just another team in men's basketball.

You do that.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch and Acylum

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You know who are "winners" when their best players don't get poached? Mid-majors, and Iowa, apparently.

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Just took a gander at Thelwell's 2023-24 stats against high major competition (sort-of...read on and it will be evident why I put this disclaimer here). Turns out that Morehead played 4 B1G teams and Alabama - 4 of the games were in the non-con and 1 in the NCAA tourney (Illinois). Thelwell scored 13 in Alabama's blowout of them. They also got toasted by Purdue, Penn State and Illinois & had a 1 point loss against Indiana. He never scored in double figures in those games (he had between 7 - 9 points each game). Not sure how his game will translate against a likely upgraded B1G Conference next season.

Reactions: exCYtable

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Just took a gander at Thelwell's 2023-24 stats against high major competition (sort-of...read on and it will be evident why I put this disclaimer here). Turns out that Morehead played 4 B1G teams and Alabama - 4 of the games were in the non-con and 1 in the NCAA tourney (Illinois). Thelwell scored 13 in Alabama's blowout of them. They also got toasted by Purdue, Penn State and Illinois & had a 1 point loss against Indiana. He never scored in double figures in those games (he had between 7 - 9 points each game). Not sure how his game will translate against a likely upgraded B1G Conference next season.
They will be ok with Harding running the offense.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron