Arrowhead

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Re: ? game at arrowhead

I don't think we win that game in Ames. Crowd isn't making tackles and catching passes unfortunately.

Who cares how much money wasn't spent in Ames? They've still got 3 weekends of home football.

Because I'm curious? Not opposed to KC at all. I had a great time and can't wait to go next year.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

Anyone know an estimate of how much money did not go into local Ames businesses because the game was in KC?

Yeah... I heard between 1.5 to 2 million dollars. So it pisses off the local businesses, but ISU makes 800,000 more in two years.

So unless Ame's businesses end up donating $800,000 less next year, ISU comes out ahead.

ISU is in it to make themselves money... Not the downtown business, or surrounding area.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

I don't think we win that game in Ames. Crowd isn't making tackles and catching passes unfortunately.

Who cares how much money wasn't spent in Ames? They've still got 3 weekends of home football.

Yes... But 50,000 ISU fans and not 40,000 split fan base surely wouldn't hurt the team, their confidence, and their passion.

I still think home field we don't have a 1 point game. I still think it would come out different.

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I really loved it. The whole Arrowhead experience was very enjoyable and fun. Nice individual seats with backs and armrests and cup holders. Very large food, drinks and concession areas which were very close to the seating. No long lines at the concessions or drink bars.

Large restrooms that were also close to the seating and no waiting in line. Easy to get into and out of the stadium with no crowding at the gates. We went into the stadium about an hour before kickoff so that probably helped with getting through the gates easily. It helped that the stadium is probably designed to handle 70-80,000 people so with 40,000 there it made for getting around very easy.

Loved the sound system and the big screen TV's above our seats (2 per section). We were under the overhang so no wind and no rain, but it didn't rain anyway. Very nice, friendly "Arrowhead helpers" everywhere in case you had a question, needed directions or needed help of any kind. Even with just 40, 000 there, the crowd noise was very loud and the crowd was very festive.

Everyone I saw was having a great time tailgating. Pretty similar to the tailgating in the donor lots north of Jack Trice. All-in-all it was a very fun time and I would certainly do it again. It would have been even better if we had won.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
+++ Stadium seating (except upper deck did not have the coveted drink holders)
----- Apparently, porta-johns hard to rent in KC...
----- Ticketmaster charge $30 for the parking pass that cost $22 if you just paid at the gate

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
AA's passes don't look any better at Jack Trice than they did at Arrowhead. Making an excuse for a lose is weak.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
AA's passes don't look any better at Jack Trice than they did at Arrowhead. Making an excuse for a lose is weak.

Austin's passes don't look better at JTS... I just don't think it comes down to a blocked PAT at JTS.

Why do teams get 3 points for home field advantage in Vegas?? Is it because they usually play better and have some type of advantage historically??? Is it because home teams win a higher percentage at home then on the road??? How come we lost 4 season's worth of road games even against cupcakes, and still won a few at home????

I really think Austin looked rattled and KSU really got pumped up with the semi home crowd. This was far from Neutral Field. At JTS there is a CHANCE it wouldn't come down to this. And if this is at K-State, I really think they would beat us by more.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Austin's passes don't look better at JTS... I just don't think it comes down to a blocked PAT at JTS.

Why do teams get 3 points for home field advantage in Vegas?? Is it because they usually play better and have some type of advantage historically??? Is it because home teams win a higher percentage at home then on the road??? How come we lost 4 season's worth of road games even against cupcakes, and still won a few at home????

I really think Austin looked rattled and KSU really got pumped up with the semi home crowd. This was far from Neutral Field. At JTS there is a CHANCE it wouldn't come down to this. And if this is at K-State, I really think they would beat us by more.

You may be right but who knows. We've blown plenty of home games to crappy teams at home as well. Why does KSU get pumped but ISU doesn't when the crowd is pretty much evenly split? I think a home field advantage helps but this was a neutral sight and there was really no reason we should have lost this game. Making excuses just takes away the responsibility from the team, who in the end is responsible for the W/L's.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'd say the event was a colossal flop for the Iowa State athletic department. I know there is the money aspect but the negative media and reaction by neutral observers was massive. I know everyone had a pretty good time there, I know I did. Unless either ISU or KSU are very, very good next season I don't see any more than 40,000 people at the game. In fact I'd be willing to bet there will be in the low 30,000's for the game.

Colossal flop? Why? Because this deal is financially lucrative for ISU? Or that ISU gets to play in an NFL stadium? How?

And there will be more than 40,000 there next year because this game IS included in KSU's season ticket package next year.

Personally, I had a great time. The game was a lot of fun (except for the outcome), tailgating was good, all in all a great weekend.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'd say the event was a colossal flop for the Iowa State athletic department. I know there is the money aspect but the negative media and reaction by neutral observers was massive. I know everyone had a pretty good time there, I know I did. Unless either ISU or KSU are very, very good next season I don't see any more than 40,000 people at the game. In fact I'd be willing to bet there will be in the low 30,000's for the game.

I hate to be negative about this because I was excited about Iowa State's opportunity to play in Arrowhead again, but this was bad.

What negative media/neutral fan reaction? I did not hear any.

Yep, either team would have won by 10-14 at home.

Did you watch the game? There is no way!

This!
I'm not sure what is worse...the ISU football team, or some of the fans that post on this board!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Why do people assume simply because a games is in Ames, we win? Do we not fumble near midfield either time? Is the PAT kick higher?

In addition, what some fail to realize that even if we made that kick, we still (as long as we didn't implode on the kick-off and final couple plays) had to go into OT and our track record there isn't exactly world beating.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
did not enjoy the pat down....

I do wish that part would have been explained better -- that there would be one. I've never been to a game there, and while the security pat-down itself didn't bother me, the time it took for most people was a little long. Even if the signs had been closer to the sidewalk where people could see them earlier and get in the appropriate line would have helped.

Cytan

Nov 6, 2008
Ames, IA
The port-a-potty lines were insane where we parked. Need more of those for sure for next year. Was a really fun place especially Power & Light. Hope they do that again next year!

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
My wife and I daytripped and enjoyed everything but the game's outcome and about the last hour of the drive home. We may stay overnight if we go back next year. Good chance we will go back next year.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Positives -- (1) Power & Light District with thousands of Cyclone Fans and (2) Arrowhead seats were more comfortable than JTS seats.
Negatives -- (1) $22 to park when I wasn't expecting it; (2) Security line to get in the game -- I wish my wife would touch me like that; (3) Drive home was miserable after heart breaking loss; and (4) Game being played at Arrowhead may have cost us the game and possible bowl berth this year -- time will tell.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
It took me about a minute to get through security because I went in early. I wish there was a station that had good reception for the post game show on the drive home. I'm ready to buy my tickets for next year and hope more people show up to enjoy the game. It was worth every penny.

Help Support Us

Become a patron