All FB coaching rumors and speculation

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Pollard is just being a good boss. The type of boss that wants his employees to improve and grow. If they outgrow ISU and move on, then he thanks them for what they did while here and wishes them well in the future.

Want to be an AD? The single #1 part of the job is hiring a football coach:

1. hire a dud and he fails and you are a chump and it costs the dept millions to dump the guy
2. hire a winner and he does so well he goes somewhere else for more money

Lather, rinse, repeat.

People talk about guys who stay 20 years, but those guys are unicorns. That said, you keep trying to find one...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Who's Duke going to hire and should we be worried?

sarcasm

Steve Prohm. He could coach football and then replace Coach K for basketball.

Thinking he might get a total of 3 wins if he coaches both football and basketball. Maybe.

Reactions: Kinch

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
And Pollard. He has to be informed before other schools can talk to him. Neither one will directly say but Pollard was prepping the fans for a possible Campbell exit during the last coaches show.

Given all the stuff being said around Riley leaving, it's hard to tell what to believe coming out of Norman.

People should really listen to Pollard's comments from Monday night in full, or his appearance on KXNO yesterday where he said much the same thing. He wasn't just prepping fans for Campbell's possible exit - which we've known for years was a possibility - but for this new world in which we're even less competitive financially than before, including what we can afford to pay Campbell or his hypothetical replacement amidst this rapid uptick in salaries.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and DarkStar

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Notre Dame played this perfectly. Marcus Freeman is well known now. And has been appointed the next great young coach. The Notre Dame staff stays minus Brian Kelly. That could be a positive. The positive endorsements for Freeman by former and current players have made this the overwhelming best choice.

Iowa State is actually benefiting from all of this as well. Matt Campbell’s profile has been elevated. Iowa State is getting great publicity for Campbell’s program. Matt Campbell will use this as motivation to get better. And I have no hard feelings towards Campbell at all. He has more than lived up to the bargain.
This.

We are getting priceless publicity from this. While it causes ISU fans to freak out and may cause some hesitation with recruits given the uncertainty (although none of them need to make a decision immediately) none of this speculation hurts. It only helps.

ISU brand is all over and Campbell’s reputation as a top young coach just grows. Rumors about him turning down schools like USC and OU to stay at IowaState paint the best possible image for anyone even considering Iowa State as their school of choice.

I have no doubt coach was interested in ND job and waiting to see how that played out, but for everyone freaking out about why he doesn’t come right out and say “I’m staying” understand that’s only to give you comfort. Have you ever considered that a head coach and AD understand this dynamic with the optics and media attention and that’s why (or at least part of why) they let it play out?

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
This.

We are getting priceless publicity from this. While it causes ISU fans to freak out and may cause some hesitation with recruits given the uncertainty (although none of them need to make a decision immediately) none of this speculation hurts. It only helps.

ISU brand is all over and Campbell’s reputation as a top young coach just grows. Rumors about him turning down schools like USC and OU to stay at IowaState paint the best possible image for anyone even considering Iowa State as their school of choice.

I have no doubt coach was interested in ND job and waiting to see how that played out, but for everyone freaking out about why he doesn’t come right out and say “I’m staying” understand that’s only to give you comfort. Have you ever considered that a head coach and AD understand this dynamic with the optics and media attention and that’s why (or at least part of why) they let it play out?

Semi-Serious question. How old is considered a young coach? CMC is 42.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Semi-Serious question. How old is considered a young coach? CMC is 42.

Fair question. Given the absolute youngest are in their 30s I’d say coach is still in this category. Scale goes way further in the other direction. Totally arbitrary, but I personally would consider anything under 45 to be “young”. Others will certainly have other equally valid (but also arbitrary) lines.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha

1. hire a dud and he fails and you are a chump and it costs the dept millions to dump the guy

Lather, rinse, repeat.

People talk about guys who stay 20 years, but those guys are unicorns. That said, you keep trying to find one...
I would disagree. AD's main job is managing Finances, Facilities, and Fans.

Coaches come and go. Hire the best fit you can and then give them what you can to be successful. Be a good boss. Remember, most people quit bosses not jobs.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Fair question. Given the absolute youngest are in their 30s I’d say coach is still in this category. Scale goes way further in the other direction. Totally arbitrary, but I personally would consider anything under 45 to be “young”. Others will certainly have other equally valid (but also arbitrary) lines.

It is an interesting question as Mark Stoops was listed as "age being a concern" (too old) when there was a discussion about potential replacements for the bigger programs in need of an HC. And he is 54 (or close to that age)!

jakemcilroy

Nov 26, 2006

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This could be applied to being a university president in hiring an athletic Director as well.

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
Are we still pretending that is what college football is?

because if ND would have offered CMC the job. You wouldn’t be saying that. College football is 100% a business now.
Wrong.
If he leaves someday for another college ND or whoever he's still working with that age group of young men regardless of the business side of it. My original post was against him going to the NFL (Browns or Bust). Coaching those guys and their mentality and egos is a different thing all together.

Reactions: DukeofStratford

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron