All FB coaching rumors and speculation

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And Pollard. He has to be informed before other schools can talk to him. Neither one will directly say but Pollard was prepping the fans for a possible Campbell exit during the last coaches show.

Given all the stuff being said around Riley leaving, it's hard to tell what to believe coming out of Norman.

to be fair, pollard has prepared us for him leaving every year.

• Agree
Reactions: DarkStar

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Play college you mean, dude want an NFL qb.
I think of him (Brady Quinn) as a ND QB. I don't even know where he tried to play in the NFL. Either way, he is in great shape after his playing days. I'm just saying he's no Josh Huepel!

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Should we expect a Campbell extension and raise? He has 7 more seasons left on the deal as it stands now. He made $4.25MM this year (maybe more for a bowl win, IDK). The TCU win was worth $250K since the base is $4MM plus $250,000 for each win above 6. So a ten-win season would put him at $5MM minimum.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Notre Dame played this perfectly. Marcus Freeman is well known now. And has been appointed the next great young coach. The Notre Dame staff stays minus Brian Kelly. That could be a positive. The positive endorsements for Freeman by former and current players have made this the overwhelming best choice.

Iowa State is actually benefiting from all of this as well. Matt Campbell’s profile has been elevated. Iowa State is getting great publicity for Campbell’s program. Matt Campbell will use this as motivation to get better. And I have no hard feelings towards Campbell at all. He has more than lived up to the bargain.
I agree this was the safe move for ND. Can you imagine if they hired Campbell and Freeman goes to Duke or somewhere else, has success, and it doesn't work out well for Campbell at ND? AD would be toast. If Freeman works out for ND, great for them. If he doesn't, they can defend it by giving the internal guy that was popular with players and recruits the opportunity, then go after a guy with HC experience the next time around.

Look, barring something crazy, if ND opens up again in 3-4 years and pretty much anything between sucking and becoming a national power by Campbell at ISU, there's a pretty good chance he'd be a candidate and would take the job.

As for OSU, if Day sticks around at least another couple of years it buys them time to feel like either Hartline is ready to take the reigns, or see if Vrabel is tired of taking **** despite being a damn good coach. Vrabel's done a really good job, but we see it a lot in the NFL. Eventually even with success, short of winning Super Bowls, often both parties just get tired of each other and feel like it's time to part ways. I could see that happening with Vrabel in the next couple of years. Now, he'd be a lock for an NFL job if he wanted it, but I don't know if he's a guy that has interest in college or wants to stay in the NFL. But OSU would pay him a PILE of cash.

Reactions: Cyclad

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
After seeing the speech and the assistants staying, I'm giving Kelly 2 years. Maybe LSU drags it out with the amount of money they're dishing out, but it will be apparent after 2 years it isn't going to work.
Kelly is only in it for the money. He'll be gone in a few years with a bag full of cash and a new job on College Gameday, making insane predictions and putting on mascot headgear.

• Haha
Reactions: everyyard

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Should we expect a Campbell extension and raise? He has 7 more seasons left on the deal as it stands now. He made $4.25MM this year (maybe more for a bowl win, IDK). The TCU win was worth $250K since the base is $4MM plus $250,000 for each win above 6. So a ten-win season would put him at $5MM minimum.
Mmmmm....expect ticket prices to go up. And if you have tickets in a non-donor section, that will be changing as well. Welcome to the new normal. Cha-ching!

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Matt Campbell's phone call with the Oklahoma AD (Castiglione):

Matt Campbell: Hello?
Castiglione: Hey, Matt! This is Joe Castiglione, athletic director of Oklahoma.
Matt Campbell: What do you want?
Castiglione: We feel like you'd be perfect as our next head coach at Oklahoma! We can offer you all the money you can dream of and a history and tradition richer than anything else!
Matt Campbell: S my D. Good luck in the SEC, bruh.
*Campbell hangs up*

Oklahoma newspaper headlines: "Matt Campbell Interview For Head Coaching Job at Oklahoma And Emerges As A top Candidate"

Last edited:

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
to be fair, pollard has prepared us for him leaving every year.
I think Pollard learned from the Hoiberg situation. Campbell said he didn't handle his leaving Toledo very well.

Matt has never said he is staying forever. Or even implied it. He says he will do his best for ISU while here. His actios back that up.

Pollard is just being a good boss. The type of boss that wants his employees to improve and grow. If they outgrow ISU and move on, then he thanks them for what they did while here and wishes them well in the future.

That is one of the reasons why ISU is a great place to be a coach.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
And Pollard. He has to be informed before other schools can talk to him. Neither one will directly say but Pollard was prepping the fans for a possible Campbell exit during the last coaches show.

Given all the stuff being said around Riley leaving, it's hard to tell what to believe coming out of Norman.

The only way an AD ever says no is if the coach tells him to say no.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I agree, I get the feeling he saw the $110 million guarantee on the contract and saw that as his final retirement fund (not that he really needs the money I'm guessing). It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't care about actually winning and would almost prefer if he gets fired in 2 or 3 years and just collects the rest of the contract on his way to the retirement beach.
Even though I don't have any ties to ND, I thought his comments were very offensive to the ND players, administration, facilities, and fans. As an imagined LSU player, I would be thinking this is BS. Very few would equate LSU as an obvious upgrade over ND. I would be shocked if most LSU players would not have to think really hard if given a scholarship to ND. Now, I'm sure ND has much higher academic standards than LSU so maybe that will make it easier for BK to win NC as he says is his goal.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Kelly is only in it for the money. He'll be gone in a few years with a bag full of cash and a new job on College Gameday, making insane predictions and putting on mascot headgear.
And all the crawfish he would ever want to eat!

1638457118594.png

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
His performance is overvalued by you, absolutely. Particularly jsb who is cliff diving without a parachute at the thought of CMC leaving. You have not been able to support your adornment without brining in irrelevant history.

He went 7-5 with a preseason top 10 team. Thats not incriminating based on how lowly you think of Iowa St based on a couple head coaches and ancient history. His record is only worth $7-$8 million if one thinks 7 wins at IowaSt is incredibly good. It’s not.

What he’s done is an improvement over DMac’s six year peak, as one would expect given the advantages he has. Unprecedented, but so is being this far removed from little ISC and decades of no support.

The same is true for Pollard. What he’s done is unprecedented as an AD at Iowa St, but it should be and doesn’t mean he’s doing a great job. There’s way more to work with, and he has little to do with it (growing alumni base, TV money, etc).

Yes, CMC gets little to modest credit for that. Those changes are generational types, due to more favorable demographics and due to DMac, Orr, etc. The great news is when CMC’s impact truly comes into play over the next decade, the growth will be even greater.
You are just the worst

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I passed him in the Atlanta Airport once. Looked like he could still play. He is keeping himself in playing shape and has not let him self go to announcing shape yet.
In his case, I'm not sure that's saying all that much. He was a terrible pro QB and only a pretty good (if overrated) college QB.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron