All FB coaching rumors and speculation

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Freeman seemed to be a hotter commodity right now than Campbell. You think with what he did with Cincinnati’s D and then doing the same with ND, that the ND admin was going to let him go with Kelly? Plus he’s lot like Campbell, he is a players coach and very passionate about what he does.

Sounds like their 'search' was just AD speak and it was a no brainer which by all accounts it should have been.

Yeah, not a HC, but there's still plenty to manage as a DC.

Reactions: cycloner29

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Sounds like their 'search' was just AD speak and it was a no brainer which by all accounts it should have been.

Yeah, not a HC, but there's still plenty to manage as a DC.

It could have been that once Kelly started to sniff around poaching the other Notre Dame staff, that the AD's timeline had to move quicker than they would have liked. Sounds like the options would have been wait for Fickell to finish his season and allow Notre Dame staff to be poached by other programs, or hire quickly and retain the current staff.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
FWIW, Brady Quinn just said on his Fox radio show this morning that ND never even talked to Campbell. Sounded like they zeroed in on Freeman from the beginning.
Quinn was an overrated player and an overrated announcer. He feels ISU is below ND so he will run his mouth that way so as not to "tarnish" their elite image.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
To me Notre Dame operates off the radar for the most part.

I think Kelly believes he doesn't get his due for good teams.

He then moved to his show me the money phase.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
ESPN's bottom line still says "Marcus Freeman emerges as leading candidate to be ND HC." Seems strange they are still using this wording and haven't updated it.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Was sent a photo last night with matt Campbell posing with Jacob immig and family in Sioux City, a good sign it came from Facebook sent by my son

Reactions: cyclone1209

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
His performance is overvalued by you, absolutely. Particularly jsb who is cliff diving without a parachute at the thought of CMC leaving. You have not been able to support your adornment without brining in irrelevant history.

He went 7-5 with a preseason top 10 team. Thats not incriminating based on how lowly you think of Iowa St based on a couple head coaches and ancient history. His record is only worth $7-$8 million if one thinks 7 wins at IowaSt is incredibly good. It’s not.

What he’s done is an improvement over DMac’s six year peak, as one would expect given the advantages he has. Unprecedented, but so is being this far removed from little ISC and decades of no support.

The same is true for Pollard. What he’s done is unprecedented as an AD at Iowa St, but it should be and doesn’t mean he’s doing a great job. There’s way more to work with, and he has little to do with it (growing alumni base, TV money, etc).

Yes, CMC gets little to modest credit for that. Those changes are generational types, due to more favorable demographics and due to DMac, Orr, etc. The great news is when CMC’s impact truly comes into play over the next decade, the growth will be even greater.
Embedded in your hot take are some decent points. Ones I actually agree with. Just wish you'd ditch the Skip Bayless outlandish to be outlandish overtones.

I'm not on the edge of a cliff thinking we're doomed. We have a solid foundation, both in the AD and Football program. The house has been built to last. This 7-5, complete roster turnover is different than in years past.

Our wins have not been flukes "OMG how did we do that!" For the first time ever.

I just credit the current staff more than cultural impacts outside of the program for that shift than you do. And likewise think we *can* succeed after CMC, but it's far from a given.

I can cite Neb, Michigan, FSU, Usc and countless other programs with better history, better funding, better alumni base and better national prestige as evidence.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
After seeing the speech and the assistants staying, I'm giving Kelly 2 years. Maybe LSU drags it out with the amount of money they're dishing out, but it will be apparent after 2 years it isn't going to work.

It all has a very "Les Miles mailing it in at Kansas" vibe to it, doesn't it??

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
It all has a very "Les Miles mailing it in at Kansas" vibe to it, doesn't it??

I agree, I get the feeling he saw the $110 million guarantee on the contract and saw that as his final retirement fund (not that he really needs the money I'm guessing). It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't care about actually winning and would almost prefer if he gets fired in 2 or 3 years and just collects the rest of the contract on his way to the retirement beach.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Embedded in your hot take are some decent points. Ones I actually agree with. Just wish you'd ditch the Skip Bayless outlandish to be outlandish overtones.

I'm not on the edge of a cliff thinking we're doomed. We have a solid foundation, both in the AD and Football program. The house has been built to last. This 7-5, complete roster turnover is different than in years past.

Our wins have not been flukes "OMG how did we do that!" For the first time ever.

I just credit the current staff more than cultural impacts outside of the program for that shift than you do. And likewise think we *can* succeed after CMC, but it's far from a given.

I can cite Neb, Michigan, FSU, Usc and countless other programs with better history, better funding, better alumni base and better national prestige as evidence.
This is a winning program now with a roster full of players who have NEVER had a losing season and been to a Bowl Game EVERY year, finished the Big Xii Regular Season with the best record, won a NY6 Bowl Game, beaten EVERY other Big Xii team HOME and AWAY, etc.. Every year that Matt Campbell stays entrenches that winning philosophy and will make it more likely to remain a strong program going forward. Cyclone Football has a strong base, and a bright future with at least one more year of Coach Campbell!

1638455063608.png

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Notre Dame played this perfectly. Marcus Freeman is well known now. And has been appointed the next great young coach. The Notre Dame staff stays minus Brian Kelly. That could be a positive. The positive endorsements for Freeman by former and current players have made this the overwhelming best choice.

Iowa State is actually benefiting from all of this as well. Matt Campbell’s profile has been elevated. Iowa State is getting great publicity for Campbell’s program. Matt Campbell will use this as motivation to get better. And I have no hard feelings towards Campbell at all. He has more than lived up to the bargain.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Quinn was an overrated player and an overrated announcer. He feels ISU is below ND so he will run his mouth that way so as not to "tarnish" their elite image.
I passed him in the Atlanta Airport once. Looked like he could still play. He is keeping himself in playing shape and has not let him self go to announcing shape yet.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I agree, I get the feeling he saw the $110 million guarantee on the contract and saw that as his final retirement fund (not that he really needs the money I'm guessing). It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't care about actually winning and would almost prefer if he gets fired in 2 or 3 years and just collects the rest of the contract on his way to the retirement beach.

In addition, he may want an opportunity to win a national title before he retires, the money is a nice landing spot if the former doesn't happen.

Reactions: landerson

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
The only person that knows if Matt Campbell talked to Oklahoma is Matt Campbell. Anyone else that says he did is full of shite.
And Pollard. He has to be informed before other schools can talk to him. Neither one will directly say but Pollard was prepping the fans for a possible Campbell exit during the last coaches show.
Well...there are people at Oklahoma that would know if he talked to them...and leaks happen. But I agree with your general point.
Given all the stuff being said around Riley leaving, it's hard to tell what to believe coming out of Norman.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron