Friday OT #2 What has surprised you about getting older?

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
Things I've noticed....
* Pain is a constant - Knees, ankle, shoulder, back, hands.....The only plus is that you only notice the worst one at any given time
* Nose, Ear, and Eyebrow Hair - Out of control, never thought I would own a specific trimmer for this, but I do
* Young people entering the workforce look younger and younger - there is a news guy on TV now that looks like he should be taking a nap with his blanky.
* I've turned into the grumpy old guy - Red on That 70's Show makes more and more sense to me

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
What surprises me is that despite the body not recovering as well, not being able to drive the car for hours upon hours at end without my leg and hip screaming at me and not being able to read anything approaching fine print anymore I still feel like a kid. I will often think of myself as the young guy in the room and then really look around the room to realize that I am probably 10 years older than everyone else.

Screw that, I'm still a kid.

You & PapaLew!

For my part, several things (I'm a few months shy of 60).

First, in 2009, I realized I was older than the current US President for the first time EVER. That's one that really took me by surprise.

Second, we all see the death notifications for celebrities that we loved growing up. Aside from a few young ones dying in random ODs or car/plane crashes, it's okay...because you know, they're OLD. Now the ones that are my age or contemporaries of my kids come up in the news more often than ones from my parents' generation.

Third, every body part that is still attached seems to be heading south. There isn't enough undergarment lift on the planet to bring things back to the original levels.

Fourth, Carver & Jersey (and those of you with wives 50 or older) will recognize this: I am my own personal furnace. I sleep with little to no covers, and a fan blowing. I wear t-shirts & crop pants around the house in the winter. I'm all done with menopause...I thought old people were always cold. When do I get to that stage? It's much easier to put more layers on than it is to remove them (and more aesthetically pleasing!).

On the plus side, Daddy is still going strong at 90 and his father lived to 95, so I'm anticipating more than a few years of retired living when I finally do retire.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You & PapaLew!

For my part, several things (I'm a few months shy of 60).

First, in 2009, I realized I was older than the current US President for the first time EVER. That's one that really took me by surprise.

Second, we all see the death notifications for celebrities that we loved growing up. Aside from a few young ones dying in random ODs or car/plane crashes, it's okay...because you know, they're OLD. Now the ones that are my age or contemporaries of my kids come up in the news more often than ones from my parents' generation.

Third, every body part that is still attached seems to be heading south. There isn't enough undergarment lift on the planet to bring things back to the original levels.

Fourth, Carver & Jersey (and those of you with wives 50 or older) will recognize this: I am my own personal furnace. I sleep with little to no covers, and a fan blowing. I wear t-shirts & crop pants around the house in the winter. I'm all done with menopause...I thought old people were always cold. When do I get to that stage? It's much easier to put more layers on than it is to remove them (and more aesthetically pleasing!).

On the plus side, Daddy is still going strong at 90 and his father lived to 95, so I'm anticipating more than a few years of retired living when I finally do retire.

My wife needs to hit menopause then, because she is walking around in two pairs of socks and furry slippers and her feet are still cold when it's 50 out.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I was 22 when I graduated from ISU, with a full head of hair. I am 26 now and am wavering between just shaving it off or keeping a buzz as it is getting smooth up top.

That and I tweak things more often. Oh and less sex.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
My brain quit aging when I was 25. In other words, when I was 20, I felt 20. When I was 25, I felt 25. Now I'm in my late 30s and I still feel 25...at least mentally. Physically is a whole different story as several others have alluded to.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Don't recover like I used too, more aches and pains, the boys hanging lower, nose hair, butt hair is out of control!!! And I'm only 35!!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Things I've noticed....
* Pain is a constant - Knees, ankle, shoulder, back, hands.....The only plus is that you only notice the worst one at any given time
* Nose, Ear, and Eyebrow Hair - Out of control, never thought I would own a specific trimmer for this, but I do
* Young people entering the workforce look younger and younger - there is a news guy on TV now that looks like he should be taking a nap with his blanky.
* I've turned into the grumpy old guy - Red on That 70's Show makes more and more sense to me

Archie Bunker was okay too.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I waited a long time for my vision to start going a bit, but it's just been in the last couple of years that I have to hold small print stuff at arm's length to read it. Otherwise, no contacts, no glasses. I don't ever remember my dad without at least reading glasses and mom has always had problems in one eye that's gotten nothing but worse over the years. So, I suppose that I made it 40+ years with no vision assistance is pretty good.

I've wore glasses/contacts since I was 16. Only in the past year have I had the near vision issue.

Can't see far without them, can't see near with them.... Annoying.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Wake up everyday at 6:00, haven't used an alarm clock for years. Parents dying sucks, miss my dad everyday now that he's gone. Realized he was getting old one day when I followed him home from Ames and he had his blinker going for 30 miles. This will sound sacrilegious, but whether or not ISU actually wins a sporting contest isn't near as big a deal as it used to be. In the big scheme it just doesn't matter one bit.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Along the lines of pop culture, I listen to a lot of metal (Slipknot type bands) and if I go to the show I find that I am the oldest one there... :twitcy:
Right there with ya! I'm the guy in the back hugging the hall silently praying "please don't pull me into the pit"

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Wake up everyday at 6:00, haven't used an alarm clock for years. Parents dying sucks, miss my dad everyday now that he's gone. Realized he was getting old one day when I followed him home from Ames and he had his blinker going for 30 miles. This will sound sacrilegious, but whether or not ISU actually wins a sporting contest isn't near as big a deal as it used to be. In the big scheme it just doesn't matter one bit.

I hit this point a few years ago at 28 or so and it changed my life. It used to be after a loss I couldn't talk to anyone the rest of the day. Now, I realize, oh well, there's nothing I could have done to changed the outcast and there's not enough life to waste a full day pouting (it has nothing to do with apathy toward the program, by the way, strictly just a different outlook on life). I'm still bummed when we lose and the highs are still just as high when we win, but I've learned to move past the losses pretty quickly now.

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I played a game of pick up basketball a few months back, I was winded after about 5 minutes in. And this was on a hoop in the driveway, not up and down a full court! :eek:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This is entirely to do with the fact that each successive year is less of a % of your existence. At 10 years old a year was 10% of your life, at 45 it is only 2.2% of your life. Things will only seem to get faster until the end...:sad:

and you experience fewer new events. So when you're ten and you're doing new things more often - attend your first sporting event, sing in your first school concert, your brain has more new information to process. Fewer new experiences makes all the days of going to the work and doing the same routine blend together more. I like the comparison in the article below to how you perceive time slowing down in an emergency situation. It's because your brain is trying to focus on every thing instead of going along on autopilot like we would during a routine day.

https://blog.bufferapp.com/the-science-of-time-perception-how-to-make-your-days-longer

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
I'm 47

My memory is not like it was. I'm in sales and never had to take notes before(peoples names, their kids names, their favorite things etc.) Thanks goodness for smart phones

I like my dogs more than I like most people now

I really thought by now ISU would have been to a good bowl game and I would have gone. If Hoiberg goes to the final four I will spend whatever it takes to go. It might not happen again in my life.

I have worn briefs all of my life. I think many of you must have worn boxers because I'm not having that issue.