Twister Sister Special - Part II Interview with Cyclone Great Heather Ezell!

Here's Part II of my interview with Wyoming Head Coach Heather Ezell!

11. * While at Iowa State what was your favorite away venue to play at?

Favorite away venue was Municipal Auditorium during the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City. I was able to have so many family and friends at those games and to be able to break some records made it all the better.

12. * Share a funny story about a teammate that never was publicly told (you don’t have to name them!)

A teammate and I would stay up until at least 2-3am on the road nights before games playing super Nintendo. I always traveled with my super Nintendo in college and we would stay up late usually playing tetris.

13. * Where is the weirdest place you were ever recognized?

At a farmers market in Steamboat Springs

14. * Was there any opposing player that you genuinely liked and/or respected more than others?

Honestly I respected a lot of players in the Big 12. Playing for the USA Jones Cup team the summer before my Junior year gave me the opportunity to to get to know a lot of fellow Big 12 players and after the experience I really respected all those players I got to play with (Jackie McFarland Colorado, Leah Rush Oklahoma , Jhasmin Player Baylor , Rachel Allison Baylor, LaToya Micheaux Texas A&M).

15. * Did you talk trash? If yes, what was your go-to?

I did not, I was more player that showed emotion after we made a really good play. I was the hype man!

16. As your career at Iowa State began to wind down, when did you start to think coaching was something you wanted to do? What type of things influenced that decision making?

Since high school I knew I wanted to be a coach, I was unsure at that time what level that would be at but by my senior year I knew it was at the college level. I wanted to make the same impacts on athletes lives like my coaches made on my life. I want to give athletes the opportunity to do something special and something very few get the opportunity to do. And lastly I wanted to give athletes the opportunity to graduate from college while doing something they loved.

17. You’ve been the head coach at Wyoming for a couple of years now. How would you describe your experience as a head coach so far and what are you looking forward to in future years?

I have been so blessed to be at Wyoming for the past 9 years. I was able to work my way up the ladder here and get the opportunity to take over a very successful and well respected program. It was an easy transition in the big picture because I wasn’t coming into a whole new place as a first time head coach. I already knew the players, the other coaches and the administration. The biggest adjustment was calling the shots. I think at first I second guessed myself earlier but now as I finish year 2 I am very confident in the decisions we make as a program and where we are going in the future. Our goal is to win championships here and I have no doubt we will do that sooner than later.

18. How has becoming a parent changed your life view? Has it made it tougher/different to balance work/home?

Oh my gosh, where do I ever start. Becoming a parent has changed everything, I am more aware of different emotions and situations that might affect my family or someone else’s family. It was tough to balance at first as I never wanted to miss some milestone as a parent but as time does, things have gotten easier and I have figured out that balance.

15. If you had one message to share with the Iowa State fan base, what would it be?

THANK YOU. My 4 years at Iowa State was nothing short of amazing because of the fans that supported us night in and night out. Walking in to a restaurant or grocery store in Ames and having numerous people stop you and just talk basketball was so awesome.

That’s a wrap! I feel blessed that I have a fan’s connection with Coach Ezell and the willingness she and other former players have to share their stories. Coach Ezell is another great example of the influence a good college experience can have on success in life. I wish her and her team all the best in continuing their success on and off the court.

Great Movie Casting "Misses"

Just read this and had to bring it to light. Apparently when casting First Blood the role of John Rambo was offered to Dustin Hoffman, who turned it down.

There were a lot of actors considered for the role of Rambo. But Dustin Hoffman? All 5'5 and 140 lbs. of him... as John Rambo? That has to be one of the most ridiculous casting suggestions I've ever heard, right up there with Ryan O'Neal as Rocky Balboa.

There are plenty of other great casting "misses" out there, curious if others have found any that they think are particularly egregious.

Cytown Update

Did anyone hear Jamie Pollard on last night's Coaches Corner radio show? I missed some details as was doing something else but thought I heard the university had secured a large donation that might speed the development of the area over what was originally projected. I did hear Pollard and others had met with hotel chains to discuss possibilities of new construction in the north part of the area.

2024-25 Roster/Rotation Additions

I saw Williams had 20 rebounds in 59 minutes as a freshman at LSU. That seems like the perfect addition to our frontcourt.

Tanke appears to be exactly what BF looks for in a shooting guard. She seems to be good enough to push for the starting spot at the 2.

Wilson, being a pure PG may get limited minutes with Ryan returning but getting a year with one of the best to play the position should pay dividends to her future.

All in all they seem to be the exact additions needed to go along with the 7 returning rotational players.
Reactions: Acylum

Random Thoughts 18: The Year of Fire

It was the year of fire, the year of destruction, the year we took back what was ours. It was the year of rebirth, the year of great sadness, the year of pain, and the year of joy. It was a new age. It was the end of history. It was the year everything changed. The year is 2024; the place: RTT 18!!!

It appears to be a personal Year of Fire ahead in 2024. May joy predominate in yours!

Twister Sister Special - Interview with Cyclone Great Heather Ezell!

The year was 2005 and an athlete from Springfield, Missouri appeared on Iowa State’s campus and immediately changed the Twister Sister team for the better. She started all but one game as a freshman and had such laudable moments as hitting five treys against Texas and had a
then ISU freshman record 13 assists in one game against Missouri. Who are we talking about? University of Wyoming Head Women’s Basketball Coach Heather Ezell.

Heather Ezell came to Iowa State as the 2005 Miss Show Me Basketball and a two time state champion at Kickapoo High School. In her four years at ISU, Ezell would go on to have a stellar career for the Sisters, starting all four years and becoming a deadly threat from behind the arc. She appears throughout the ISU record book. Here are but a few examples:
• Most Three Pointers in a Game - 10 versus Sacramento State
• Most Threes in a Game (Freshman) - 5 versus Missouri
• Most Steals in a Game (Freshman) - 5 versus Texas, versus Nichols State
• Tied (5th) Threes in a Season - 88 (08-09)
• Three Pointers Attempted in a Season - 214 (Tie 10th 05-06), 232 (6th 07-08), 249 (3rd 08-09)
• Steals in a Season - 9th 63 (08-09) (she led the team in steals all four years)
• Three Pointers Made in a Season - 2nd 69 (Freshman 05-06), 4th 78 (Junior 07-08), Tie 3rd 88 (Senior 08-09)
• Career Games Played - tied 2nd with 135
• Career Three Pointers Made - 2nd with 287
• Career Three Pointers Attempted - 2nd with 857
• Career Assists - 10th with 414
• Career Steals - 4th with 201
There are many more, but this illustrates just how valuable Ezell was to the Iowa State women’s program between 2005 and 2009.

I’ve followed Heather’s career with interest after ISU. So, what’s she been doing? I recently conversed with her via email to share with you a bit more about this amazing Cyclone.

1. What about your high school experience do you think attracted Iowa State to recruit you? Who was your primary recruiter?

I had the opportunity to play for an amazing high school coach who before she took the HS job was an Assistant Coach at Mizzou. So she knew the college game and the recruiting process. I think it was easy for coaches to recruit from her program because she ran the HS program like a college team. We only lost 7 games during my High School career, we won two state championships and being from Missouri I believe it was local enough for Iowa State that it made it easy to recruit. At the time Jack Easley was the primary recruiter.

2. What made you decide that Iowa State was where you wanted to play your college ball?

I went on a lot of visits and when I came to Iowa State on an unofficial I remember meeting the team and just feeling like I fit in so well. My dream was to play in the Big 12 and I did a handful of visits within the Big 12 but none of them compared to that feeling of belonging like I did on my visit to Iowa State. I also believe the style of play at Iowa State was the perfect fit for my game.

3. Of everything you did while at Iowa State, what was the “one” thing you incorporated into your practice/preparation routine that improved your play the most?

I believe the work in the weight room and conditioning was what improved my play the most. I was definitely not in the best shape my freshman year but I really bought into the strength and conditioning program after my Freshman year and I think it propelled me into being the best player I could be.

4. While at Iowa State, was there a particular game that stands out in your mind as one of your greatest memories? Why?

It’s hard for me to not say the Michigan State game my Senior year in the NCAA tournament. There was never a moment in that game that I didn’t have belief that we could win, even we when were down by 7 with a minute to go. And then obviously to do what we did in that final
minute and win the game, is just a memory I will never forget. (for a recap of this amazing game go to: https://cyclones.com/news/2009/3/28/3701735.aspx)

5. As an extension of that question…was there a particular play you were a part of that will always stand out in your memories?

Same game, I was never known for my rebounding ability, especially on the offensive end. But for some reason I found myself down there and got the rebound and made pass (assist) to Aus for the go ahead three, that in the end won the game. It was one of those plays where we as a team were going to do whatever needed to be done to win the game and if that meant I needed to go for an offensive rebound, well then I was going to do it.

6. How did the coaching staff help you to grow into the player and now coach that you are? Do you still communicate with them professionally?

The coaches were always available to talk, watch film, and rebound. I realized how important those moments with coaches were when I first got into coaching. Making sure I made time to be there for my athletes no matter what the need was. Sometimes just to talk and listen to what was going on in their life. I stay in touch with all the coaches on a consistent basis. I know I can reach out to them with any questions and they are happy to help.

7. What made Hilton Coliseum a special place to play for you?

The fans!! To be able to run out of the locker room and the stands were already packed full with 30 mins still on the warmup clock.

8. If you had to pick one…what would be your favorite memory of your time at Iowa State (this might not be basketball!)?

Graduation – The older you get you realize just how important that part of your college career was. I am only a second generation college graduate and that makes me proud.

9. You are one of the all time great three point shooters in Iowa State history. Did you focus on shooting three’s more than other things in practice? What made you so good at it?

I focused on the fundamentals every time I came in the gym to get shots up. I started at 3 feet before moving to 30 feet. I talk to players all the time, it’s not about quantity, it’s about quality. I came in the gym focused on the right shots and the right mechanics every time. The last piece and could be the most important was confidence, I always believed there wasn’t a shot I shouldn’t make, couldn’t make and I was mad when I missed.

10. Your parents were obviously huge supporters. What would you say about how they supported you over the years as a player and coach?

My parents are who made me who I am no doubt. Their support through my early years of basketball, the money they put in for me to travel around during my high school years and then all the miles they put on their car driving to Ames or wherever to watch me play, I will never be able to say thank you enough. I lost my dad in 2022 and it was one of the hardest times in my life because he was my biggest fan and biggest supporter.

See Part II for the remainder of the Interview!!

RECRUITING: Iowa State hosting former NDSU WR Eli Green on visit this weekend

RECRUITING: Iowa State will host former NDSU wide receiver Eli Green (@Eligreen_) on a visit this week as it continues to put the final pieces together for its 2024 roster.

Property Insurance

My renewal for my property insurance showed up in the mail today. Up 20%. I have had no claims in the last 3 years so I get a small deduction . Wow big deal. My agent wasn’t in the mood to discuss it with me because it is Friday, he has to work late today because he has a number of customers who have been dropped, so he is looking for new companies to get them coverage. I didn’t complain after that. I hope you aren’t someone who has been dropped.
Go Cyclones.

Salvage title question

So in 2021 My truck was hit by another driver and I had it repaired. At the time repair was $12K and truck was worth about $14K . Since I was planning on keeping it I did nothing with the title. I'm looking to sell it and had some questions.

If I sell it privately to a family member and just transfer the existing title as is is there anyway the state/county can tell there was supposed to be a salvage title? If so what are the consequences for getting caught?

Along the same lines, said family member works for me, and vehicle is registered to my company. If I were to set him up on a "company vehicle program" we would not have to change ownership but would have to register in another state. Could the salvage title bit us in that case?

Update: I spoke to the body shop that did the repairs and he thought that in Iowa you didn't need to do a salvage title on a vehicle over 8 years old. Does this sound right?
Reactions: dafarmer

Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.

Filter