Best Iowa State point guard

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
All-time, I’d have to say Tinsley or Monte.

Here’s one for all the 90’s kids out there: One of the best single game performances I’ve ever seen from a Cyclone guard has to be Justus Thigpen single-handedly coming back down 20 in the second half to knock of Big Country Reeves and OSU at home. Most amazing single game from a Cyclone guard ever.
He was having the game of his life but at crunch time in OT he drove to draw the D to him and found freshman Fred Hoiberg for a lay in and one to take the lead. Having the game of his life but he still made the right play and found his teammate rather than forcing it.

He also hit a three at a full sprint to beat CU in Boulder by one. He was going so fast that even though he took off from outside the arc at the wing he nearly landed in the lane. The CU coach - Harrington, I think - was beside himself saying that "It was a 2, look where he landed." There was no review at the time, but the TV guys saw that it was a three and shared that with Johnny. The CU coach followed the refs all the way out of the arena yelling at them the whole way.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He was fun, didn't have a guard we could trust bringing the ball up court, so Royce did it for them? IIRC
It made that second Hoiberg team even more dangerous since Fred didn't have to worry about a point guard and could play 2 shooting guards, a shooting wing forward to go along with a power forward and a power point forward. Crazy that he led the team in every major category: points, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals.

What a waste of talent. Think of all the good he could have done with top tier or even second tier NBA money if he could have kept his head on straight. He seemed to want to support causes and he could have with NBA millions.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
That team had Horton, Tinsley, Rancik, Shirley, and Sullivan. It wasn’t all Tinsley
As well as Brandon Hawkins, Shane Power Tyray Pearson, Richard Evans etc, etc, etc.

Shirley was the only one on that team, other than Tinsley, to sniff the league.

In Tinsley’s 2 seasons, only Shirley, Fizer and JT played in the NBA, and he only played with Fizer one season.

In Monte’s 4 seasons, outside of Monte, Iowa State averaged 4 NBA players on the roster each year. 5 if you count Monte.

It’s clear based on your responses you do not consider Tinsley the top dog. ****, it’s almost as if you don’t even like him. Whatever floats your boat, but I think it’s pretty clear Iowa State accomplished more with less during Tinsely’s two years than any other player in Iowa State history.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
That would make sense and you're a brave soul for watching that.

I get queasy just thinking about that game.
I felt like I had to watch it to get an understanding of the low moments I was too young to experience. I refuse to watch any of the UAB replay though. Was in Florida for spring break during college, and our group had it arranged that we were going to stop in Louisville on the drive back and watch the second round game. I think that was the darkest day of my ISU fandom so far

Reactions: madguy30

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You can tell who the NBA nuts are on here when you see the arguments for Tyrese being the best at ISU. I absolutely love Tyrese and think is he an insane NBA player. However Tinsley is the best PG to have ever put on an ISU uniform, he was just on a different level as someone else mentioned earlier (the sleeping with the ball thing). The confidence you had watching him bring the ball up against even 2 or 3 defenders was second to none.
Rewatched that UCLA game earlier in this thread. I had forgotten how when Tinsley pushed the ball and he was 1 on 2 or even sometimes 1 on 3 he often made it a mismatch in his favor. If the defenders were moving at all they were cooked. It was crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: enisthemenace

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's where I was. They were cruising, got smoked at Texas, and still won their last two regular season games but looked like they were playing under water.

A 2nd round loss would have been OK with how things had been going but that game that night was a 'where were you' moment for me. Especially after they had gotten a decent lead late.
Don't forget the first round loss in the Big 12 tournament. The first time ever an 8 seed advanced past the 1 seed in our tournament.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
As well as Brandon Hawkins, Shane Power Tyray Pearson, Richard Evans etc, etc, etc.

In Tinsley’s 2 seasons, only Shirley, Fizer and JT played in the NBA, and he only played with Fizer one season.

In Monte’s 4 seasons, outside of Monte, Iowa State averaged 4 NBA players on the roster each year. 5 if you count Monte.

It’s clear based on your responses you do not consider Tinsley the top dog. ****, it’s almost as if you don’t even like him. Whatever floats your boat, but I think it’s pretty clear Iowa State accomplished more with less during Tinsely’s two years than any other player in Iowa State history.
It's pretty easy to guess ages in this thread based on responses...those that didn't live through/attend games during Tinsley's insanely amazing couple of years almost nonchalantly throw him to the side when discussing #1.

Reactions: Billups06

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's pretty easy to guess ages in this thread based on responses...those that didn't live through/attend games during Tinsley's insanely amazing couple of years almost nonchalantly throw him to the side when discussing #1.

I love Tinsley and he was amazing. I'd put Monte over him because he had 4 years.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I’m sure someone probably mentioned this earlier but ISU won 57 games in Tinsleys two years at ISU. And back to back big 12 titles. The second year he did it without Fizer….. he’s the GOAT @ISU
I remember thinking that we would be better without Fizer, and they pretty much were. It seemed our team tended to just let Fizer dominate and it made them complacent. Tinsley involved everyone that year... until Hampton happened...

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
That team had Horton, Tinsley, Rancik, Shirley, and Sullivan. It wasn’t all Tinsley
One of which played in the NBA (other than Tinsley).

Using your logic, Tyrese had 3 NBA players on his team (Shayok, Wigginton, THT). Morris had 6 NBA players on his team(s) (Niang, BDJ, Nader, Matt Thomas, Naz, Burton). Who had more support on their team(s)?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Didn't Brandon Hawkins transfer mid-year that year? Isn't that how he managed to play the next year at San Jose? I think he only played a few games in the fall semester.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Don't forget the first round loss in the Big 12 tournament. The first time ever an 8 seed advanced past the 1 seed in our tournament.

Eustachy talked about the end of that season in his podcast with CW and Blum. Said he absolutely worked that team too hard (regretted it) and they had nothing left in the tank after clinching the regular season title.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and HFCS

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Johnny brought Jacy in with another PG and Jacy won the job. ISU recruited a replacement for Jacy every year but Jacy would beat out the challenger every year.

Jacy won 4 state championships in high school. TF didn't want Jacy to shoot pretty much unless it was going to be a shot clock violation. People were shocked when he hit a big 3 late to ice the Big 8 championship game against Kansas. I wasn't, I knew the kid could shoot and he hit the big shot more than not when he was asked to. But he did what Tim wanted. The play was actually drawn up for Pratt to take the shot but the option if it wasn't there was the kick out to Jacy for the shot. Kenny was double teamed so Jacy took it and knocked it down.
I don't want to derail the thread, but Kenny Pratt was a joy to watch. And that pass he made to JC, just perfect. Good times.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Eustachy talked about the end of that season in his podcast with CW and Blum. Said he absolutely worked that team too hard (regretted it) and they had nothing left in the tank after clinching the regular season title.

I'm taking the 99/00 team over any team in terms of just having to win a game.

The 00/01 team was great in some ways but not automatically better than all of the teams we've had under the past three coaches. You also can't ignore that the Big 12 is a LOT tougher now than it used to be. Several of our 12-6 teams were good enough to be Big 12 champs back when the league had more dead weight at the bottom...I mean Baylor is easily a top 10 program now with an NC and they were a doormat back then, the league is like SEC football now or maybe even more competitive.

isufrEEk

Apr 14, 2006

Using your logic, Tyrese had 3 NBA players on his team (Shayok, Wigginton, THT). Morris had 6 NBA players on his team(s) (Niang, BDJ, Nader, Matt Thomas, Naz, Burton). Who had more support on their team(s)?
[/QUO

Morris also had a coach whose system was much more friendly to a point guard. Eustachy focus was rebounding, defense, and rebounding. He didn't care about the offense.

Reactions: Billups06

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I remember thinking that we would be better without Fizer, and they pretty much were. It seemed our team tended to just let Fizer dominate and it made them complacent. Tinsley involved everyone that year... until Hampton happened...
I disagree. A complacent team doesn't nearly sweep the conference only losing 2 road games, both in overtime. Larry made sure they lost that Drake game they tried to sleep walk through and it worked; he had their attention. A complacent team doesn't dominate in the NCAA tournament even leading the eventual champion in the Elite Eight (Effing blarge!). You would not survive a Larry Eustachy practice - say nothing about a season - being complacent.

The '00-01 team definitely had rot before the Hampton game. They dropped a headscratcher to Texas and then made history by being the first #1 see to the Big 12 tournament to lose in the first round. Not a better team.

I just realized I used the word rot. I do not subscribe to that thread.
30a.gif