Best Iowa State point guard

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There can be two answers for this - who was the best while at ISU vs who was the best talent and future wise.

1 - The best point guard from Iowa State (talent, skill, future) has to be a unanimous and unquestionable Tyrese Haliburton. But, I don't think his time at Iowa State was better than some others.

2 - From there it's a discussion of who had the best ISU career. Tinsley and Monte have to be toss ups for me. Both delivered something a little different at different times, but both contributed the same amount of difference making.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Its Monte for me. Just did everything at an elite level. Tinsley was tougher and better with the ball, but Monte was just as good a passer, took better care of the ball. Everything you want in a true PG.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Also, I am shocked there is no mention of DeAndre Kane in this thread. I know it was just one year, and he isn't the best PG of the group. But he should be on the list to discuss, if only to rule him out as you work your way up.

Reactions: Bigman38

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought this thread was going to be about LIpsey v. Gilbert, particularly with how Gilbert steps up when Lipsey is out. I love having two players who can function exceptionally well at point guard.

Gilbert has gone from freaking me out playing point guard to excited to watch him play point with Lipsey out for a changeup.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
While at Iowa State, yes. If you aren't limiting the debate to their time at ISU then there is no point in having a debate because it's Haliburton and it's not close.

By that same measure Hornacek is best shooting guard with lots of distance between probably #2 Fred.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
With Tamin entering the ranks. I still think Tinsley is the best ever while at Iowa State. Haliburton will obviously be the all time best Cyclone. This Tinsley dribbling highlight is still one of the best ever plays at Iowa State

Man I don’t miss those long shorts.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
His handling was elite but was it better than Morris or Haliburton? I am not sure. Tinsley wowed the crowed with razzle-dazzle against inferior opponents but also turned it over much more frequently than Morris and Haliburton.
100% yes - in terms of pure PG skill, Tinsley was head and shoulders better than Morris or Halliburton (when he was at ISU). Dude was just different

Here's how I'd put it:

Best ISU PG Peak: Tinsley
Best ISU PG Career: Morris
Best Pro Career: Hornacek
Best Pro Career Peak & Potential: Haliburton

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Fred didn’t play PG

I know, Hornacek was mostly a sg in pros. I’m saying for the “entire career” like someone else said the best pg is 100% Tyrese and the best shooting guard is 100% Hornacek and guessing Fred second best shooting guard career.

Tinsley is still second best career point guard but Monte is gonna push his career numbers if he comes back from this half season injury.

Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That team was literally out of gas. Gifted a 2 seed because was screwed out of 1 seed year before. I just wanted them to eek out that 1st round.

That's where I was. They were cruising, got smoked at Texas, and still won their last two regular season games but looked like they were playing under water.

A 2nd round loss would have been OK with how things had been going but that game that night was a 'where were you' moment for me. Especially after they had gotten a decent lead late.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Gilbert has gone from freaking me out playing point guard to excited to watch him play point with Lipsey out for a changeup.

It has been a while since I heard somebody complain about him dribbling too much and getting in trouble in the lane.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
You can tell who the NBA nuts are on here when you see the arguments for Tyrese being the best at ISU. I absolutely love Tyrese and think is he an insane NBA player. However Tinsley is the best PG to have ever put on an ISU uniform, he was just on a different level as someone else mentioned earlier (the sleeping with the ball thing). The confidence you had watching him bring the ball up against even 2 or 3 defenders was second to none.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Something that shouldn't be forgotten is that in addition to playing a huge part in the best 2 year stretch in ISU men's basketball history, he was also one of only 4 consensus All-Americans in ISU history and one of only 3 conference players of the year. It's Tinsley. You could argue he was the best player in ISU history period, let alone point guard.

Last edited:

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
JTs dribble between the OU defender‘s legs in Big 12 championship tells me all I need to know

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Its Monte for me. Just did everything at an elite level. Tinsley was tougher and better with the ball, but Monte was just as good a passer, took better care of the ball. Everything you want in a true PG.
I loved Monte’s game, but would not have called him an elite shooter.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I know, Hornacek was mostly a sg in pros. I’m saying for the “entire career” like someone else said the best pg is 100% Tyrese and the best shooting guard is 100% Hornacek and guessing Fred second best shooting guard career.

Tinsley is still second best career point guard but Monte is gonna push his career numbers if he comes back from this half season injury.
Hornacek played mostly SG in the pros, but was a PG while at ISU. He was a great shooter, and a tricky defender. If I could only have one person back when the other team was fast breaking, it would be Hornacek.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Something that shouldn't be forgotten is that in addition to playing a huge part in the best 2 year stretch in ISU men's basketball history, he was also one of only 4 all-Americans in ISU history and one of only 3 conference players of the year. It's Tinsley. You could argue he was the best player in ISU history period, let alone point guard.

The other guy has most wins, minutes, steals, and assists in ISU history though. Plenty of single game heroics and depending on definition of ball handler was possibly best ball handler in ncaa history statistically.

It’s a complex debate. A stat junky gives it to Morris easily, but as someone who was there I totally see Tinsley as well.