Best Iowa State point guard

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
For my money, Tinsley is the best basketball player that has played at Iowa State. He led us to two regular season titles. That out ranks any other stat

Add an elite 8. Big 12 player of the year and 1st team all american. He also had a long NBA career. Similar to Monte's

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Also, I am shocked there is no mention of DeAndre Kane in this thread. I know it was just one year, and he isn't the best PG of the group. But he should be on the list to discuss, if only to rule him out as you work your way up.

I agree, he should be on the list but the one year guys always get left out in these discussions.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
We almost have to do the "While he is at Iowa State" part or this thread would just be me making a post that Haliburton is the Goat and everyone would be like "Ummm Yeah tell us something we don't know".
Yeah, these discussions and threads always kind of end up being the same argument in different ways without some type of metrics to fairly assess...but again, WAY too many variables.

I have a friend (a negative nancy cyclone "fan") that isn't bought in Haliburton is good in the NBA "he's a stat stuffer.....and if he's so good...why didn't ISU win when he was there?"

If the metrics is "money earned in pro ball" or "titles won" or "stats" or..... you can start making a case for anyone.

Luka Garza was the NPOY at Iowa...so in theory is he the best ever Hawk? On the "at Iowa matrix" would be hard to argue that....but beyond Iowa, certainly not.

Reactions: Drew0311

ntxcyclone

Nov 16, 2013
I’m sure someone probably mentioned this earlier but ISU won 57 games in Tinsleys two years at ISU. And back to back big 12 titles. The second year he did it without Fizer….. he’s the GOAT @ISU

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, these discussions and threads always kind of end up being the same argument in different ways without some type of metrics to fairly assess...but again, WAY too many variables.

I have a friend (a negative nancy cyclone "fan") that isn't bought in Haliburton is good in the NBA "he's a stat stuffer.....and if he's so good...why didn't ISU win when he was there?"

If the metrics is "money earned in pro ball" or "titles won" or "stats" or..... you can start making a case for anyone.

Luka Garza was the NPOY at Iowa...so in theory is he the best ever Hawk? On the "at Iowa matrix" would be hard to argue that....but beyond Iowa, certainly not.

I'm playing devil's advocate for Monte...but if most people on here were saying Monte was the best I'd be doing the same for Tinsley.

I think it's closer than some realize.

Great point about player of the year, Fizer was objectively far more dominant than Luka Garza in actual big games and any team with him on it was going to be more of a force...yet didn't get POTY. Our new BYU friends actually think Jimmer Friddette (spelling?) was the greatest player in the nation that year, he's probably not in my top 5 if I'm drafting a team of players from that season or any season.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Tinsley and it's not even close.

Tinsley
Morris
Stinson
Hornacek
Blaylock
Kane
Haliburton
Garett

Just based on college performance, Haliburton is not top-5 at ISU. Best pro player from ISU, no doubt .

Last edited:
Reactions: NoCreativity

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
JT lost Nurse, Johnson and FIZER for his second season here and he still won n the conference title. That is incredible. JT has two conference titles, no other ISU point guard has come close to that. It’s JT.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Well that part kind of counts IMO. Also Tinsley was more dynamic while at ISU. IMO

Dribbling, but Tyrese was the best passer in ISU history the minute he laced them up (talking per minute basis and eye test). The vision is just next level, one needs to compare to players like Nash and Magic to get a get a comp.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Ill-advised?

What else was he supposed to do there?

That rolls in 99.5% of the time on that look and was about 1/2 cm the wrong way that one .5%.

was it ill-advised? I mean, it was a wide open layup. A gimme. It just had a funny spin to it off of the backboard and rimmed out.
I'm too young to remember the game but have seen the replay. His last shot obviously not ill-advised. Had to shoot it and should've made it. But the possession before..... Inbounding the ball with a 1 point lead, 36 seconds on the shot clock and back in the day with a 35 second shot clock, ISU breaks the press and he takes a contested floater with 29 seconds left. Not sure if the OP mixed up those two plays, but that was the very definition of ill-advised

Reactions: madguy30

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Look at Tyrese’s numbers at ISU. He was better than Tinsley at every important stats except win-loss
Now you are just making stuff up. Tinsley has better per game numbers in points, steals, assists, and rebounds (blocks are tied) over the course of their Iowa State career.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Tinsley and it's not even close.

Tinsley
Morris
Stinson
Hornacek
Blaylock
Kane
Haliburton
Garett

Just based on college performance, Haliburton is not top-5 at ISU. Best pro player from ISU, no doubt .

BTW some of the older generation will swear by the Roland Rocket. I was not old enough to remember him. However, he did beat out Wilt Chamberlin for Player of the year in the conference. So with all do respect to Gary, Ill throw your name into the Mix as well. He deserves a place on the list for sure.

Known as the "Roland Rocket", Gary Thompson came to Iowa State University from the small town of Roland, Iowa to become one of the Cyclones' first cage stars. A 5'10 guard, Thompson was the first Iowa State player to score more than 1,000 points and the first player in school history to tally 40 points in a game. As a senior in 1956–57, Thompson earned consensus second team All-American honors, first team All-America status from the Associated Press, and was named Big Seven Conference player of the year, beating out Kansas star Wilt Chamberlain. Thompson excelled in a second sport as well, leading Iowa State to the 1957 College World Series as a star shortstop.[1]

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm too young to remember the game but have seen the replay. His last shot obviously not ill-advised. Had to shoot it and should've made it. But the possession before..... Inbounding the ball with a 1 point lead, 36 seconds on the shot clock and back in the day with a 35 second shot clock, ISU breaks the press and he takes a contested floater with 29 seconds left. Not sure if the OP mixed up those two plays, but that was the very definition of ill-advised

That would make sense and you're a brave soul for watching that.

I get queasy just thinking about that game.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
That’s typical Tinsley. I always thought he played for himself not team

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Jacy Holloway was the point guard during his years. Holloway was a floor general. Not flashy and didn’t score much but did everything right
Johnny brought Jacy in with another PG and Jacy won the job. ISU recruited a replacement for Jacy every year but Jacy would beat out the challenger every year.

Jacy won 4 state championships in high school. TF didn't want Jacy to shoot pretty much unless it was going to be a shot clock violation. People were shocked when he hit a big 3 late to ice the Big 8 championship game against Kansas. I wasn't, I knew the kid could shoot and he hit the big shot more than not when he was asked to. But he did what Tim wanted. The play was actually drawn up for Pratt to take the shot but the option if it wasn't there was the kick out to Jacy for the shot. Kenny was double teamed so Jacy took it and knocked it down.