***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I know it's paper so it can travel farther, but this is still insane!
My wife and I took a walk down our lane last night and found a school picture of a kid in kindergarten from 1960 on the ground. I wonder how far it traveled.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry for your family but glad to hear everyone is physically okay.

Question for others, when I see pictures like this... How are these monster tornados even survivable in the basement when it literally rips the entire house off the foundation? These are my worst nightmare.

When I was in Texas my home didn't have a basement. I was pretty concerned about shelter during a storm event.

Being under the stairs sounds fine until I see crazy footage like what happened yesterday

Whew. I certainly hope folks can get back to some type of normal as soon as possible.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think the answer might be a little different. Today with all the technology and live streams/radar feeds, individuals need to be proactive. It’s probably better to shelter unnecessarily a couple times a year if you are uncertain how bad something could be.

I'm really curious to know what criteria they think this one didn't meet. They've issued it for multiple storms this year in the EF2-3 range. They got criticism for issuing Barnsdall (F4) too late - especially bad because that was well after dark. This one is definitely Barnsdall's strength.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
A friend of my brother lived through the Parkersburg tornado in their basement. His wife, his daughter and he were in the back corner of their walk-out against the slab wall. They were wrapped in debris and he said a few times the winds were pulling his eyelids open. When it was over he looked up and both their vehicles were partially hanging over the wall above them.
Someone told me they found receipts from the Parkersburg bank up in the middle of Wisconsin.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry for your family but glad to hear everyone is physically okay.

Question for others, when I see pictures like this... How are these monster tornados even survivable in the basement when it literally rips the entire house off the foundation? These are my worst nightmare.

It certainly makes you think about building a safe room (reinforced concrete or ICF walls/ceiling) or buying one of those storm shelter rooms to put in your basement. As I get older, I also think about the ability to get to the basement.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I'm really curious to know what criteria they think this one didn't meet. They've issued it for multiple storms this year in the EF2-3 range. They got criticism for issuing Barnsdall (F4) too late - especially bad because that was well after dark. This one is definitely Barnsdall's strength.
My initial reflex is to say they are doing the best they can in a chaotic situation, thus my initial comment. But it is valid, especially for them, to look back at why they didn't for next for the next time.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It certainly makes you think about building a safe room (reinforced concrete or ICF walls/ceiling) or buying one of those storm shelter rooms to put in your basement. As I get older, I also think about the ability to get to the basement.

If you were building new it really wouldn't be terrible expensive to do that at ground level would it? My biggest problem would be not filling it up with stuff. It would be a great place to store important stuff though.

Reactions: RLD4ISU

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Talked to a friend that lives in Iowa Falls and the big talk of Iowa Falls FBers is finding a laminated army discharge document that had a Greenfield address. I would guess that's 110-120 miles straight line.

• Wow
Reactions: wintersmd

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
waking up this AM all I can ask is why didn't NWS tor-e that one? Not like it was a hindsight thing. We were thinking that in real time.

Assuming you are talking about Greenfield, and I’m just spitballing. it was a PDS Warning right? Tornado emergency seems to be used for larger population centers?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Our daycare lost power at 4:30 yesterday and is still out, so they're closed today. Last update indicates they don't expect power back until midday tomorrow, which probably means they're closed again tomorrow. Working at home with a toddler is not for the weak.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
For all of you weather geeks in this thread - is there a website where I can find an image of the path the tornado took; the one that passed near Cambridge, Nevada, and Zearing?
I've been searching this morning but I don't really know where to look. At least our internet is back. From yesterday afternoon on, all I had was throttled data, and Lew couldn't even access THAT on his phone. We're guessing a relay tower got hit...maybe the ones in Alleman? For a short while yesterday we couldn't even make phone calls.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Assuming you are talking about Greenfield, and I’m just spitballing. it was a PDS Warning right? Tornado emergency seems to be used for larger population centers?

They used it for Barnsdall which is half the size. It looks like there's NWS guidance but then up to the local ones to dole out. So could be differences between Norman and DSM. Maybe with the city of DSM targeted down the line, they didn't want to drop the emergency too early.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
National Weather Service directives specify that Tornado Emergencies are reserved for rare situations when:​
a.
Severe threat to human life is imminent or ongoing.​
b.
Catastrophic damage is imminent or ongoing.​
c
Reliable sources confirm tornado (either 1 or 2):​
1. Visual.​
2. Radar imagery strongly suggests the existence of a damaging tornado (a debris ball signature, for example).​

Yes, the Greenfield tornado had a PDS warning. If I recall, it appeared the tornado was on track to move just west of town by a couple miles. But it made a right turn shortly before striking the town.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They used it for Barnsdall which is half the size. It looks like there's NWS guidance but then up to the local ones to dole out. So could be differences between Norman and DSM. Maybe with the city of DSM targeted down the line, they didn't want to drop the emergency too early.

Good point. All NWS offices are not a monolith.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
For all of you weather geeks in this thread - is there a website where I can find an image of the path the tornado took; the one that passed near Cambridge, Nevada, and Zearing?
I've been searching this morning but I don't really know where to look. At least our internet is back. From yesterday afternoon on, all I had was throttled data, and Lew couldn't even access THAT on his phone. We're guessing a relay tower got hit...maybe the ones in Alleman? For a short while yesterday we couldn't even make phone calls.
https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/lsrmap.html?zoom=10&lat=41.65&lon=-93.77&hr=24&severe=1

This shows damage reports and can kind of guess the path from that. Not sure an official path will be out till NWS gets done with their surveys.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Our daycare lost power at 4:30 yesterday and is still out, so they're closed today. Last update indicates they don't expect power back until midday tomorrow, which probably means they're closed again tomorrow. Working at home with a toddler is not for the weak.
Our daycare only had power to certain rooms of their building. Apparently they had three power lines going into the building and only prioritized one of them. They had the kids consolidated into a few classrooms.

Reactions: NWICY and MJ29